Hard Shifting Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allen Asbury

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello... I have a 2013 2500 Dodge Ram truck. When pulling a load, it will eventually begin to hard shift from first to third or fourth gear. I will pull off the road. shut it off. turn it back on and then it's works fine for a little bit then it does it again. Yesterday, I was pulling a dump trailer, heavy load but shouldn't have been too heavy and it happened to me again. I was going uphill and it wouldn't go out of third, or maybe it was fourth gear, and I barley made it to the top. The "transmission is too hot" light came on too. I haven't had this truck very long. What is strange to me is that it runs fine when I am not pulling a load AND, when it is happening, I can pull off the road, shut it off. Then turn it back on and it works fine for a few minutes before it happens again. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Thanks for the input!

AllRam2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a post that had similar problems. I had replaced things myself and ended up getting it rebuilt. I'm sure your getting multiple codes. Problem found on mine was the overdrive clutch burnt. Check my post. I gave info on what I had done prior to taking to shop hoping to avoid the big bill