Hard start (bog/high idle, fluctuating idle) after sitting for 2+ days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vdavidoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This recently started. The truck has no power mods. I have a Pedal Commander but it has been installed for months with no issue. I run 91 octane. If the truck is parked in my garage for 2+ days, it starts hard like this. It seems like it can sit for ~24h and be OK, which seems odd (I'd think if this was an issue of the truck simply being cold, it'd happen by then, but it doesn't seem to). Runs and drives fine otherwise, and seems to get happy after about a minute, as seen in the video below.

I live at 9500' and that's the only environmental thing I can think of at the moment, but the truck has been fine for months (I got it a few months back).

Anyone experienced this? Not looking forward to having to leave it at a the dealer for days and hope they can both reproduce and diagnose.

Thanks for any info.
Andy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 has recently started doing this too. If I hit the command start, it’ll fire, chug a bit then shut off and only start with the key. Then with the key it fires up quick and goes into high idle ( like 2500 rpm) then idles down after about 15 seconds. It’s weird, never used to do this

OP
OP
V

vdavidoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just figured I'd update that this stopped happening. I have no idea why. My only thought is that maybe I got some bad gas (and due to where I live, it's possible the town was running that gas for a while).

OP
OP
V

vdavidoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This started happening again and I couldn't figure out why. It didn't seem to be "bad" gas in so far as I was filling up at a variety of places and it kept happening. I was still running 91. I decided to start running 87 (around here the options are pretty much 85, 87, 91) and though it has only been about two tanks, the problem immediately went away.

I don't know exactly what conclusion to draw from that in a general sense - there could be lots of things besides the octane that are in play, that I wouldn't know about without examining the fuel, or maybe there are coincidental environmental considerations I am not picking up on, but anyway, figured I'd throw this update out there in case it helps anyone else.