Hard surface sealer/ceramic coat.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I have a question for all you experienced fellas….
My truck (2021) paint was so bad with orange peel it was repainted at Rams expense. Beautiful job, not a mark in it. Flatted after, polished and now they are DONE! ( quite fairly) and it is now up to me to fine tune finish.
My issue is that even after several months this paint is very easy to mark and scratches. The truck is, of course, black so shows every mark.
If I were to get it ceramic coated, would this stop this problem? I don’t mind spending decent money to get a decent job but don’t want to spend out of it will not alleviate the soft finish.
Any thoughts here please would be welcome. I know there are threads on coating or not but I am looking to specifically obtain a hard surface from this exercise as I already have a smooth clear shiny surface!
Maybe there is something else I can use to seal it?
Ta in advance!

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Yes, a ceramic coating will help. So will several of the Si02 spray or wipe on coatings. Depending on how much money you want to spend. The Turtle Wax Hybrid solutions is good as is Aerolon's Tech Shine. Aerolon Tech Polish is a good "polish" to start with and then regularly wash your truck finishing with Tech Shine. Meguiar's spray on is good in the short term but did not hold up longer term for me. Plenty of YouTube videos out there both offering application tips and comparisons of various products. You'll get plenty of responses with your question similar to an oil thread Lol.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Thanks. I was acutely aware I was poking the pig doing this! A ‘hard ‘ polish I could use would work too.
I live a long way in the boonies and to get a ceramic coat will actually cost me a trip to Duluth and an overnight stay as well as coating/labour. Not a problem if it works, a bummer if it doesn’t!
I have spent so much effort on this to make it look right, I would like it to stay that way. At least for a while, right?

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. I was acutely aware I was poking the pig doing this! A ‘hard ‘ polish I could use would work too.
I live a long way in the boonies and to get a ceramic coat will actually cost me a trip to Duluth and an overnight stay as well as coating/labour. Not a problem if it works, a bummer if it doesn’t!
I have spent so much effort on this to make it look right, I would like it to stay that way. At least for a while, right?
You can do a ceramic coating yourself. I did. So have many others. I used Adam's graphene ceramic coating and it went on great. So far it has worked well. Time will tell if it holds up in the long run. It is 89 bucks on their website. I always wait for when they have deals going on. Actually just ordered a little bit from them last night. They had a 25% off on certain items. Both times I purchased the coating I waited until they had a 30% off promo.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
KKBB.
How hard is the surface? Can you at least rub your hand over it without scratching?
With the original paint I have already I have marks where I shut the tailgate.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want your paint to look the best you need to do paint correction before you ceramic coat it. That is usually what cost the most to have it coated. Ceramic will help to not scratch as easy but that doesn't mean it won't scratch. If the ceramic is in a spray bottle it isn't a true ceramic. Not saying it doesn't work but it won't last 5 years like the normal one does. If you really don't want scratches get the protection film put on the truck. I have it on the front of my Hellcat and it helps a lot.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
KKBB.
How hard is the surface? Can you at least rub your hand over it without scratching?
With the original paint I have already I have marks where I shut the tailgate.
I can't say, because I don't rub my hand on it. I try to do everything I can to make sure I don't scratch it. I believe they claim it is a >9H, which should be damn hard and durable. I did paint correction first, then isopropyl alcohol to clean the polish off, then the ceramic coating. It took me 2 days to do it all, but well worth it. They also have an advanced that is supposed to be a little thicker and last a little longer.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Thank both of the above replies
It is fully ‘paint corrected’ looks amazing and want to keep it that way.