Hard water marks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gslex02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a sprinkler system that hits my truck and car everyday. Does anybody have a good method to get the hard water stains off the paint?

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yeah, park it further so the sprinklers don't hit it! :D

On a more serious note, you're probably due for a good detailing job, so I'd start with a clay bar, then if you still see spots, get a good Paintwork Cleanser.

If the surface is pretty slick already, you could probably get away with just a paintwork cleanser but that will wipe all previous detailing you have done (so will the clay).

Then proceed with a full detail job when the whole surface is nice, clean and slick!

I could propose some brands but everyone has different needs and live in different locations. For example, I live in Canada (Hot summers and ****** winters) and I have to detail outside, so products that can be applied in direct sunlight is a must for me.

I just bought the whole Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions line and will test that as soon as mother nature can give me some cooler weather. Note that I'm not complaining. :)
I also have pretty much everything from Poorboy's World line and I love their products. They can also be applied in direct sunlight.

Remember to use some good judgement for direct sunlight application. Work in small sections, if you can't stand the heat that probably means your products won't either.

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I had that happen to my Charger at a hotel, parked in the sun for 3 days, etched into paint. Had to have it professionally done, and ceramic coated.

Id stay away from sprinklers if you can.

OP
OP
G

Gslex02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately my sprinklers will always hit my driveway a little. So I did a little research and I ended up buying Meguiars 49 oxidation remover. It’s for boats but works on any fiberglass. I also see they sell just a water mark remover. Not sure which works better but I plan on using the oxidation remover and then putting on Chemical Guys Butter Wax.

OP
OP
G

Gslex02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If anybody on here has a recommended product for removing hard water marks….I am all ears

ric221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Here is one you might try. Vinegar and water.

Remove Water Spots With Vinegar – The Easy Way​

First, wash with your normal car shampoo. Rinse, and then use the distilled vinegar.

This will give your car the magic acid bath. Just wipe it on with a sponge, and rub it in.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Vinegar "can" help but if those water marks are old and have been etched in deep then you will have to wet sand it ... remember you can only remove so much clear coat from your paint before you compromise it .. remove too much and your clear coat will start breaking up in months ...

Sometimes "we" have to ask ourselves if it's worth it to remove those water marks and risk compromising the integrity of the clear coat ... same thing goes with scratches and doing paint corrections period ...

Anyone can remove every single scratch, water spot and give it a mirror finish, but is it worth compromising our clear coat? That is the question we have to ask ourselves ...

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have any doubt about the thickness of your clear/paint please have it measured before you start sanding or using a heavy abrasive. IMHO color sanding is for professionals and not for most "weekend warriors. There are numerous water spot removers on the market--take a look at "autopia" I went to their store and search and got lots of products.
Jay

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have any doubt about the thickness of your clear/paint please have it measured before you start sanding or using a heavy abrasive. IMHO color sanding is for professionals and not for most "weekend warriors. There are numerous water spot removers on the market--take a look at "autopia" I went to their store and search and got lots of products.
Jay

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it were my truck, I would use Adams or Chemical guys.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My soon to be son-in-law gave me about half a bottle of this stuff before he moved and I haven't tried it yet but he said it worked great for him. I'll be trying this out today to see how effective it is on my hard water spots. My neighbors sprinkler system blows over onto my truck when the wind blows (which is often). It's not the "full water stream" but more of the mist but it's steady for about 5 minutes so it gets it pretty good most of the time.

adam ant

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0-liter V6 EcoDiesel
I use Heavy Duty water spot Remover by Chemical Guys you can buy at Walmart works great and easy. Will not harm metal or glass.

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
I've had a bottle of Meguiar's Water Spot Remover around here, it's decent. at only $13 it might be worth a shot for you.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Turn down your sprinklers. Adjust the flow.
White vinegar with water in a spray bottle will take care of water spots.
Some colors really show the spots readily. Arizona Beige did not show them at all. New Ram in Delmonico Red really shows all of them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45