Hard winter starts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammy56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when the temps drop, my truck starts pretty slowly. Takes a few SLOW grumpy revolutions before starting. It does start, and then all is normal; no warning lights etc...

I assume its the cold oil?

Is this typical?

Thanks.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is typical for extreme cold, but check your battery too.....cold affects them just like it does your oil

Last edited:
OP
OP
hammy56

hammy56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hadn't considered the battery- didn't realize the cold had that much of an effect on it.

Thanks.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
got a block heater? At the very least top up your battery and if your devout, clean the terminals.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Battery,., now oil affects a lil, but you have to have a heavy grade in there (which U shouldn't) or temps be way south of 32 degrees F, and having lived in upstate NY and other places where I left frozen body parts, got a lil experience on this...IF really cold area, Block heater be an asset, too bad these hemi's do not come with block heater the way ED's do....just IMHO,,,

Cannot help U on heater, as last Ram I had, had a block heater (Had ED), which I did not hook up as not really needed here, and I have not researched what it would take ref this hemi as again not needed, just saying

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Block heater was on the truck new here, not sure if dealers just add them to all the vehicles or not? But when I'm at work on any and all cold days/nights, truck is plugged in. Makes me happy to think I'm treating the truck right, it will do the same for me. Lol. Also nice to have heat out of the vents a bit quicker on those cold nights too.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it is the battery you can have it tested most places that sell batteries, Hemi's do require a higher cold crank amps then many other engines. Good news you can test it likely for free.

Try 0 weight oils, that is what they are for. m1 is a real good choice there. Look at how quick 5w30 redline and 0w30 group 3 oils pour compared to other 5 winter rated oils.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^Yep. This is the time of year that a 3-6 year old battery hate. Hot to cold and cold to hot.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It does sound like battery. I have a battery warmer that I plug in when its really cold. Also run synthetic motor oil because its not as thick on cold starts.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
When ya get time if you don't have a battery tester at home stop by one of the auto parts stores and have them test it. Real quick and easy!
They will even check your alternator to see if its charging the battery properly.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
not yet...I bought the truck used, so Im not sure how old the battery is. Its on the short list.

and its running synthetic oil.

gonna be on the right ******* now list, in about a month, when the temps drop severely and the truck won't start, without a jump.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
There should be a date somewhere on the battery. I'd swap it out. 2015 MY, it's probably the original factory battery that came with the truck. After 4/5 years it's about likely for a factory battery to start to go bad.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Battery,., now oil affects a lil, but you have to have a heavy grade in there (which U shouldn't) or temps be way south of 32 degrees F, and having lived in upstate NY and other places where I left frozen body parts, got a lil experience on this...IF really cold area, Block heater be an asset, too bad these hemi's do not come with block heater the way ED's do....just IMHO,,,

Cannot help U on heater, as last Ram I had, had a block heater (Had ED), which I did not hook up as not really needed here, and I have not researched what it would take ref this hemi as again not needed, just saying

All I said was it affects the oil....didn't say how much.............that depends on grade, synthetic or dino, etc

These hemis can come with a block heater if you ordered it that way, and you can get one and add one if you want.

It is very nice to have one on a cummins when it is snowing outside...not so much for starting (but it does help), but for instant heat......