Hard Wire Radar Detector.....uggghh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got my handy dandy hard wire kit......has a cool lil inline fuse so I don't necessarily have to use an "add a fuse" from the auto store.......came with a lil t-tap connector that allows me to tap into a wire, which I wasn't going to do.

I was going to get an "add a fuse" and do it that way until I just noticed......there is no fuse box inside? It's only in the engine compartment? My kit/wire is long enough to reach there and I can actually use a "add a fuse" ......or I can tap into a wire, but where? I took the panel off inside, nearest the door and see wires in there.......or should I run it to the fuse box. And where should I route it into the engine compartment from the inside of the truck if so?

uggggghhh

Last edited:

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
If you go to the fuse block, it is more likely to be a clean install. Tapping into a random wire somewhere might tell the computer something is wrong.

OP
OP
W

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Ziezee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use the plate that covers the hole where the clutch would go through.

I need to go through the firewall with two 12 volt lines for my amps.... Clutch plate sounds good. Where is it located... I haven't looked yet. Maybe it's easy to spot. Will check tonight.

These fuses are different that my old vehicle. My old pack of "Add a Fuse" is incompatible. Does the Mini Add a Fuse work in a Micro? I don't see Micro's on Amazon... Currently, my hardware solution is a wire wrapped around the unused accsesory fuse. I'd rather have it on an Add a Fuse though...

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I need to go through the firewall with two 12 volt lines for my amps.... Clutch plate sounds good. Where is it located... I haven't looked yet. Maybe it's easy to spot. Will check tonight.

These fuses are different that my old vehicle. My old pack of "Add a Fuse" is incompatible. Does the Mini Add a Fuse work in a Micro? I don't see Micro's on Amazon... Currently, my hardware solution is a wire wrapped around the unused accsesory fuse. I'd rather have it on an Add a Fuse though...

I just added one of these off of my battery (using a main switched relay that only powers when the truck is running), then added my switches for my lights, radar detector (can't use on military base) and extra usb ports.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Fuse-B...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

View media item 25775

RevRonnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tapped into the over head console ignition wire for the sunroof. Works fine for me.

IwantaRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im pulling an antenna, and sPOD cable through this piece. I currently have a small, what looks like audio cable, that is all ready pulled through the plastic shield. Anyone know what that wire is running to? I can post a picture later today.

View attachment 158555 View attachment 158556

Any wire going thru that plate is not OEM, that's the clutch pedal delete plate. You should consider using a wiring boot

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/in...wires-into-the-cab.117923/page-3#post-1968127

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just tapped into the mirror harness. Nice and clean. Been there for 9 months and no issues at all. Did the same with my Jeep, and it was trouble free for 8 years.

wink

Edit: I give up on posting a pic...

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No amp powersteps or anything like that?