Harman Kardon vs Alpine - Limited Level 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I'm ready to order my 2023 Limited... I just don't know if the extra $5000 for the Limited Level 1 is worth it.
The only things I'd like to have
1. Charging pad
2. Spray in bedliner
3. Bed lights

I can do w/out #1. #2 and #3 can be easily added later for under $1000. And the remaining stuff (except sound system) is not at all interesting.

I have a 2014 Laramie with the "premium" Alpine 9 speaker (with subwoofer) system. It sounds amazing and will make your ears bleed. The subwoofer can be felt in your internal organs. The subwoofer takes up the entire space under my passenger side rear seat.
Is this the same system that is standard on the Limited?

I rode in a 2022 with the HK system and it sounds the same to me, but less bass than my 2014.

CRS1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2023 Limited with the Level 1 package. The wireless charger is nice but very slow and overheats my phone. It’s really only helpful to slow the drain when using CarPlay. I wondered if I’d like the heads up display or not. I love it. Everything I want where I can see it and keep my eyes on the road. The HK system is good but perhaps not exceptional. I believe it has a 7 or 10 sub behind the back seat. It is adequate for my ears. All that said, I don’t regret getting the Level 1 package but could certainly live without it. Good luck to you!

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I'm ready to order my 2023 Limited... I just don't know if the extra $5000 for the Limited Level 1 is worth it.
The only things I'd like to have
1. Charging pad
2. Spray in bedliner
3. Bed lights

I can do w/out #1. #2 and #3 can be easily added later for under $1000. And the remaining stuff (except sound system) is not at all interesting.

I have a 2014 Laramie with the "premium" Alpine 9 speaker (with subwoofer) system. It sounds amazing and will make your ears bleed. The subwoofer can be felt in your internal organs. The subwoofer takes up the entire space under my passenger side rear seat.
Is this the same system that is standard on the Limited?

I rode in a 2022 with the HK system and it sounds the same to me, but less bass than my 2014.
I don't dough at all that system would make your ears bleed lol. Any actual audiophile will tell you the actual sound quality coming out of the so-called premium sound systems is absolutely horrible. Missing complete frequency ranges and rolling the base off to save the speakers because they can't put in actual quality components. But if I had to choose between Alpine or HK, it would be an HK system all day long. Even HK's basic JBL speakers are way ahead of anything Alpine has on the OEM market when it comes to sound quality.
I have a 2023 Limited with the Level 1 package. The wireless charger is nice but very slow and overheats my phone. It’s really only helpful to slow the drain when using CarPlay. I wondered if I’d like the heads up display or not. I love it. Everything I want where I can see it and keep my eyes on the road. The HK system is good but perhaps not exceptional. I believe it has a 7 or 10 sub behind the back seat. It is adequate for my ears. All that said, I don’t regret getting the Level 1 package but could certainly live without it. Good luck to you!
You really shouldn't be getting much drain on your phone using CarPlay. Bluetooth technology is very minimal. Battery drain unless it's just an iPhone thing which doesn't surprise me.

OP
OP
G

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I looked closely at my dad's 2019 Laramie with the Level 2 package. He has the HK system, wireless charging and bed lighting. Once I adjusted his HK system it sounded pretty good... better than my Alpine, maybe. But I can hardly tell a difference. I'm 54 and have tinnitus (probably from riding the Harley with the stereo too loud) - so I probably can't appreciate the HK system.
The bed lighting was ok, not at all impressed.
The charging pad IMHO is useless... I had to remove my iPhone 12 from the case to get it to charge. Even then it intermittently lost connection. I charge it all the time on an Apple mag charger with the case on with no issues.

So for me, another $5k just isn't worth it... This truck is already almost $20k more than my 2014 Laramie, with the same equipment.

MTGranite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
Just picked up my new Limited two days ago. Had a Laramie. Here’s what I added or changed.
1. Switched the tonneau to a hard folding one. Feels more secure and durable to me and for my needs.
2. Spray in liner.
3. Ceramic coating. Would prefer wrap, but I would have to drive 300 miles each way to obtain.
3. Mud flaps, molded, all 4. Helps to keep chips away. I live in the northern Rockies.

What I love so far:
1. Heads up display. Have on our CX-9 and have been missing it on the Laramie.
2. Harmon stereo. Still playing with settings.
3. Wireless Charging. No cable to get tangled in or brake. Longer playtime with Apple CarPlay.
4. Lots of console storage.

Don’t have any complaints yet. I’m still in the honeymoon phase.

OP
OP
G

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I have a Bakflip F1 on my 2014... best cover out there IMHO. I'll buy a new one for the 23 Limited that I just ordered. Will add the spray in liner locally - $600. Considering the ceramic coating as well. It will be sprayed underneath and inside doors, rocker, fenders with grease.
Ultimately, I decided against both packages that would have provided the HK stereo and factory bedliner. Felt like I was paying for too many things I didn't want. IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY at the packages as listed (Limited Level 1 and Night Edition) - many of the things they list in these packages are ALREADY INLCUDED in the Limited.

You can see this if you compare the package listed when building your truck with the window sticker from an actual 2023 already on the lot. Pretty crooked if you ask me.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's $5k now for the Level 1 EG? Wow, it was less than half that when I bought a '21 Limited. I'm not familiar with what all comes with the Level 1 group now, but in mine it included adaptive cruise control, surround view camera, and ventilated rear seats. For me it was worth the extra money, but I'm not sure I'd cough up $5k to get those now.

OP
OP
G

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
It's $5k now for the Level 1 EG? Wow, it was less than half that when I bought a '21 Limited. I'm not familiar with what all comes with the Level 1 group now, but in mine it included adaptive cruise control, surround view camera, and ventilated rear seats. For me it was worth the extra money, but I'm not sure I'd cough up $5k to get those now.

That's just it... they list lots of features, many of which are already included in the limited. The surround view camera, HK sound system, bedliner, led box lighting and wireless charging pad are the biggest features. I'm sorry, but that's just not worth five grand.

I looked at a 2022 Limited Longhorn window sticker... could not believe the price jump.

In fact, the base price of the limited went up $100 in the last week on the website... as did the delivery fee (which is now $2k).

I hope this "eTorque" thing isn't a PITA

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's just it... they list lots of features, many of which are already included in the limited. The surround view camera, HK sound system, bedliner, led box lighting and wireless charging pad are the biggest features. I'm sorry, but that's just not worth five grand.

I looked at a 2022 Limited Longhorn window sticker... could not believe the price jump.

In fact, the base price of the limited went up $100 in the last week on the website... as did the delivery fee (which is now $2k).

I hope this "eTorque" thing isn't a PITA
Oh I absolutely agree, it wouldn't be worth $5k for me either. The '21 Limited I bought listed the following under the Level 1 Equipment Group for that $2295:
Pedestrian Emergency Braking
Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go
Lane Keep Assist
Parallel and Perpendicular Park_Assist with Stop
Ventilated Rear Seats
Surround-View Camera System

None of those were standard features, and you didn't get them without the Level 1 group. At least you didn't on a 2021 Limited. But they were worth that price (for me) when I bought that truck. I know the current Level 1 group also includes what used to be in the Technology Group (HUD, Digital mirror and LED CHMSL). But I wouldn't spend almost $3k more just for those extra options.

OP
OP
G

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Oh I absolutely agree, it wouldn't be worth $5k for me either. The '21 Limited I bought listed the following under the Level 1 Equipment Group for that $2295:
Pedestrian Emergency Braking
Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go
Lane Keep Assist
Parallel and Perpendicular Park_Assist with Stop
Ventilated Rear Seats
Surround-View Camera System

None of those were standard features, and you didn't get them without the Level 1 group. At least you didn't on a 2021 Limited. But they were worth that price (for me) when I bought that truck. I know the current Level 1 group also includes what used to be in the Technology Group (HUD, Digital mirror and LED CHMSL). But I wouldn't spend almost $3k more just for those extra options.

2023 Limited includes Vented Rear seats, Blind spot and Cross Path and Power Running boards when you look at an actual Window Sticker...
Limited Level 1 (below) lists Power Running boards even though they are included. Now it's $4995
  • 19 Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound
  • Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go
  • Digital Rearview Mirror
  • Head-Up Display
  • Lane Keep Assist
  • LED Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp
  • Spray-In Bedliner by Mopar®
  • Parallel and Perpendicular Park-Assist with Stop
  • ParkSense® Front and Rear Park-Assist with Stop
  • Pedestrian Emergency Braking
  • Pick-Up Box Lighting
  • Power Running-Boards
  • Surround-View Camera System
  • Tailgate Ajar Warning-Lamp
  • Wireless Charging-Pad

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2023 Limited includes Vented Rear seats, Blind spot and Cross Path and Power Running boards when you look at an actual Window Sticker...
Limited Level 1 (below) lists Power Running boards even though they are included. Now it's $4995
  • 19 Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound
  • Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go
  • Digital Rearview Mirror
  • Head-Up Display
  • Lane Keep Assist
  • LED Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp
  • Spray-In Bedliner by Mopar®
  • Parallel and Perpendicular Park-Assist with Stop
  • ParkSense® Front and Rear Park-Assist with Stop
  • Pedestrian Emergency Braking
  • Pick-Up Box Lighting
  • Power Running-Boards
  • Surround-View Camera System
  • Tailgate Ajar Warning-Lamp
  • Wireless Charging-Pad
I've read they made changes to the standard features on the Limited, and that starting in '23 you have to get the Level 1 group to get power steps. When you combine what used to be the Tech group with the cost of the power steps you mostly make up that $2800 difference between '21 and '23 Level 1 group prices. Although they also didn't lower the base price when they removed the power steps, which is devious at best.

OP
OP
G

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
The power running boards are standard on limited in 2023

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The power running boards are standard on limited in 2023
You sure about that? I was curious so I looked it up on the Ram website. According to that they are not standard anymore. I know that website can contain errors, so I'm only reporting what it says there. I haven't been to a dealership to confirm that though. Just wondering if you have or not?

1686344697982.png

Fuelie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have a fully loaded 23 Limited. I have to say I am disappointed in the Harmon Kardon system. My 21 Limited had the Alpine and for what I do that was pretty nice. I expected great things out of the HK but I think the bass sucks. It seems muddy to me.
The rest of the options I like and enjoy, during the week my truck is my office.
I will say I love my 23 Limited EcoDiesel
Tom

wiggy999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't dough at all that system would make your ears bleed lol. Any actual audiophile will tell you the actual sound quality coming out of the so-called premium sound systems is absolutely horrible. Missing complete frequency ranges and rolling the base off to save the speakers because they can't put in actual quality components. But if I had to choose between Alpine or HK, it would be an HK system all day long. Even HK's basic JBL speakers are way ahead of anything Alpine has on the OEM market when it comes to sound quality.

You really shouldn't be getting much drain on your phone using CarPlay. Bluetooth technology is very minimal. Battery drain unless it's just an iPhone thing which doesn't surprise me.

This regarding sound quality!! HK for quality, Alpine if you want loud crap :)

OP
OP
G

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
You sure about that? I was curious so I looked it up on the Ram website. According to that they are not standard anymore. I know that website can contain errors, so I'm only reporting what it says there. I haven't been to a dealership to confirm that though. Just wondering if you have or not?

View attachment 522766
You need to look at a 2023 Window sticker on the lot...

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for posting that. I gotta say that's the least optioned Limited I've ever seen. Silver paint is the only option LOL. Seems they also changed something else for '23 models if we can believe that window sticker. It lists ventilated rear seats as a standard feature under "Interior Features". Which was only available with the Level 1 group on the '21 Limited I used to own, as well as the '20 Limited we currently have.

OP
OP
G

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Its available in several other colors... My point is how they are listing things inside a package that are already included. I think they're doing this on purpose to try to justify how much the package costs. The price increase from 2022 to 2023 is astounding. This is part of the reason I decided to order a 23 instead of waiting for a 24 - it will just cost more for the same truck.

And you can believe the Window Sticker I posted... I sat in that very truck. Dealer had 2 silver, 1 pearlcoat, and one granite crystal. All had 3.21 rear end and standard mirrors. I pull a trailer, so I need 3.92, trailer mirrors and brake controller (plus I wanted the 33 gallon tank like I have now).

IMHO their website is horrible... when you "outsource" using overseas IT "resources" you pay the price for accuracy.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
IMO the factory HK system isn't worth it if you don't mind doing some minor upgrades to the Alpine system. If you plan on never touching the truck then go for the HK and just disable ANC (Either with AlfaOBD or the ANC bypass harness). The configuration in the 19+1500's is slightly different than the HD's, but I've ridden in and worked on more than enough rams to experience both in stock and slightly modified configurations. In my experience the Alpine with upgraded speakers, some basic sound deadening, doing something subwoofer wise, and disabling ANC makes them sound quite a bit better than the stock HK system. That said nothing you do to either of them is going to make them anywhere close to audiophile grade until you replace their meh amp/dsp situation that's engineered around low cost stock speakers and the loss in frequency response due to ANC.

G/T jonny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Doesn’t Limited also include full digital instrument panel and 4 wheel air suspension? Along with Laramie stuff like 12” HK and surround cameras.