Harmon Kardon vs Alpine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lawdog800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
From personal experience I say the HK system is worth every penny in the Ram trucks. I have had several trucks with Alline and my 2017 MegaCab Limited I even changed the tweeters and the Sub in stock Alpine system. The HK on Surround Sound Zone is simply amazing. I won’t go back

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly, I think the radio itself makes more difference than the name plate.
In my 2013 I had the "standard" speaker configuration but with the "HD" radio (does HD=HK? I don't know but I don't think it does? Never saw an HK badge anywhere if it was). That system sounded awesome.

When that truck got totaled, I was in the market for a new Ram and I test drove a lot of vehicles with different audio systems in them. With the "standard" stereo and the Alpine speakers, it sounded like POOP compared to my old truck! Literally, the standard stereo w/HD head sounded better to me and my teenage son than "just" the Alpine system.

THEN, I went and drove a Ram with the Alpine speakers and the HD radio like my 2013 had; WoW! MUCH better sound...

Granted, I still kinda like the "standard" system's speaker configuration vs. the Alpine setup (standard has larger in-door rear speakers than the Alpine I think?), but the Alpine sub-woof under the rear seats really brings the system to life.

So, my suggestion is to make sure you have the HD radio to start with, then I would suggest the Alpine add-on to make it BOOM/Rock/make your ears ring...

Honestly though, with a little aftermarket help (maybe a little better 2-way speakers in all 4 doors and a sub-woofer add-on under the rear seats), I think the "standard" radio speaker configuration would possibly blow away even the HD radio/Alpine setup that I currently have. Look at the cost differential. I know that Alpine setup isn't cheap (@+$600?).

Hammer757

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly, I think the radio itself makes more difference than the name plate.
In my 2013 I had the "standard" speaker configuration but with the "HD" radio (does HD=HK? I don't know but I don't think it does? Never saw an HK badge anywhere if it was).

HD is for HD radio. Basically High Def FM radio. It sounds more like CD quality. But it isn't vendor-specific, and not all radio stations broadcast with it, but yes HD radio sounds great. I would say it sounds better than Sirus Radio.

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HD is for HD radio. Basically High Def FM radio. It sounds more like CD quality. But it isn't vendor-specific, and not all radio stations broadcast with it, but yes HD radio sounds great. I would say it sounds better than Sirus Radio.

But, it's not just with the radio function alone that HD sounds better.
Like when I was testing that truck with the non-HD & Alpine setup, we were using MP4's recorded on a cell phone to compare and it still sounded like poop...
You need the HD radio as a base to start with, then upgrade the speakers from there (either Alpine or 100% aftermarket).

hayseed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I had a Rebel with HK. My Power Wagon has the Alpine. HK is clearer and you can really hear the screw ups in the music. I like the little bit looser bass in the Alpine and my music sounds like it always did.

Bahn112

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L
Kind of an apple to oranges comparison since they're in 2 different vehicles but the Alpine setup in my '19 PW sounds muddled compared to the HK setup in my old Benz and both can't hold a candle to the Burmeister setup in my wifes current Benz.

I'm not that big of an audiophile so it doesn't bother me in the least and the Alpine system still thumps pretty decent for a factory setup. My days of 10's and 15's in the trunk are long behind me. :anitoof:

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My previous 2010 Laramie 2500 and now my current 2015 PW have the Alpine. My 2019 Challenger has the HK and while they are totally different vehicles I'll give the nod to the HK.

04ctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 4:10
our durango had the BEATS system, and i got a newer Ram with the Alpine, and the Alpine was MUCH MUCH better than the BEATS.

i liked the OEM Alpine, and if it had some upgraded speakers, may have been great.

dsd1212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just traded in my second ram with the Alpine System. Love the Alpine. My new truck has the HK and I believe the HK is clearer. Of course I will get a legit opinion when my kids ride in the truck as they control the Music and like to crank it up. :eek:

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
H/K system in my PowerWagon is nothing Short of amazing. Probably one of the best options on my truck...but then again I did get ever option offered in 2020

Peter Holford

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 litre
Have alpine in work truck HK in wagon. Soon as I heard the HK I thought it sounded better. Both are great with so many speakers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963