Harsh 2-1 downshift, "Jerk" or "bump" upon coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was asked earlier, but no one has answered this. Is anyone with the V6 Pentastar having this issue, or is it limited to the Hemi?

joels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haas, I have read in other threads and forums that this issue is not just limited to RAM 1500. It exists in RWD Jeeps, chargers, Chrysler 300 etc. I have seen complaints from V6 and V8 owners.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I felt like mine was software. Tow/haul would eliminate it. There was a driveshaft issue with these too.

It is like Ram tells all techs and service writers to not go on the internet and to pretend this is the first time you've ever heard about this issue. Almost there must be a work avoidance class during day 1 training. I wish my job would let me do that.

I upgraded to 5th Gen no problem since. Trans is tuned so much better overall, but also got 3.92 gears.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

If FCA doesn’t come out with an update to fix it, there’s nothing the dealer can do about it unless there is a problem beyond a software issue. We can’t even rebuild them beyond replacing a valve body or oil pump.

The issue lies with what FCA will allow dealers to do for repairs otherwise FCA won’t reimburse them if it’s warranty. If they don’t get paid they’re not going to do it. Nobody works for free.

Last edited:

Snaggletooth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I felt like mine was software. Tow/haul would eliminate it. There was a driveshaft issue with these too.

It is like Ram tells all techs and service writers to not go on the internet and to pretend this is the first time you've ever heard about this issue. Almost there must be a work avoidance class during day 1 training. I wish my job would let me do that.

I upgraded to 5th Gen no problem since. Trans is tuned so much better overall, but also got 3.92 gears.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

My 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn - Crew Cab/5.7 bed - 5.7L Hemi - 3.92 also doesn’t have the “bump” from 2-1 when coming to a complete stop in tow/haul. However when not in tow/haul it does have the “bump” when shifting 2-1 around 3mph. I need to get it to the dealer and have the TCM flashed for quick learn or whatever. I am curious if this will fix it. Also I’m at 92k miles so was figuring to do a tranny oil and pan/filter replacement once it’s a bit cooler outside here in Arizona.

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The drive shaft is a 2 piece unit. If you stick your head under the truck you'll see a rubber boot in the middle and apparently the chevy guys have the same issue. That joint is dry as a bone and amplifies the the aggressive shifting pattern that is "normal" for the 8 speeds.

If you pay attention you'll notice the "thud" happens most after a hard braking or coming to a stop when the drivetrain is loaded in the opposite direction. When you take off again to accelerate is when you typically feel it.

People have reported a much smoother operation after lubricating that joint. :birgits_tiredcoffee

I second that I have heard this. When I go to the dealership I'm going to get them to grease it real well. I feel mine when stopping and taking off sometimes. Mine is 2018 with 19,000. My dad bought a 2020 Classic and his does the same bump!

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too have read that the "yoke" joint needs a liberal greasing. It's like there is "play" in the driveshaft where the two meet. I feel it sometimes when taking off too.

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I second that I have heard this. When I go to the dealership I'm going to get them to grease it real well. I feel mine when stopping and taking off sometimes. Mine is 2018 with 19,000. My dad bought a 2020 Classic and his does the same bump!

My 19 classic does the bump too, took it to dealer said it was normal, they wouldnt grease it either, hope you have better luck than me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 19 classic does the bump too, took it to dealer said it was normal, they wouldnt grease it either, hope you have better luck than me

that is not normal. That is an incompetent dealership making excuses for not wanting to investigate and do the job. I was given the go around by 2
Dealerships until it got fixed because FCA stepped in and instructed one of them to finally get it done.

the fix is driveshaft replacement.

dgs0025

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
N/A
I have this 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Outdoorsman I bought a few months ago. I first brought this in to the dealer on March 23 2018 with the complaint being a harsh downshift.
As per the work order:............................................ ............
51438 Flashes. Found two bulletins 18-051-17 and 21-017-16 Rev A. Both for shift issues as per complaint. Hooked up WI Tech and found both modules need updates, Got OK, Flashed PCM. Cleared codes. Old version 68258446AC. New Version 68258446AE..Rechecked and found all OK. Printed out Topolagy, list of DTC and scan report.......................
I Picked up truck and it really “Bumped” upon stopping very harshly for a couple weeks but did get a little better...then got worse again.
Brought the truck into the dealer again (May 3 2018) and the Tech did a transmission “Quicklearn”.
The truck now "Bumps" everytime upon coming to a slow stop. OK, now I'm frustrated, you would think Ram could fix this easy...its not like they just invented transmission programming yesterday.
It is not a gas tank thing, or driveshaft thing.
Anybody with this issue get it fixed once and for all?? Any ideas?
If so please let me know how?
THanks

I never had this happen in my 4th Gen. But I did have a very similar occurrence when I had a Toyota FJ Cruiser back in the day. Luckily the dealership eventually agreed to replace the rear diff after a lot of back and forth and multiple ECU flashes / updates.