Harsh ride...new shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammy56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know very little about suspension, so I have a question.

2 years ago I had a front level done, and air bags in the rear. UCA's , 35's etc...

Since then the truck is VERY harsh over normal road conditions. Sunken manhole covers, potholes etc etc. Not a nice ride at all.

Is it safe to assume its just the stock shocks being worn? The truck only has 77k miles...but Im also wondering if the level decreases the life/quality of the stock shocks.

Wanted to get educated opinions before I spend money on new shocks.

Thanks!

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What hardware specifically was used for the level? 4wd or 2wd?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a couple different ways to level a 4wd 1500... spacers on top of the stock struts or aftermarket struts with adjustable lower coil seat height are the most common. Hard to say what specifically is causing yours to ride rough without knowing what parts you have.

I can say from first hand experience the smoothest "cloud of ta-ta's" ride I've had on my Ram was with ProComp zx2014 struts (and zx2028 in back) - those incorporate a two position lower spring seat that can be set for stock ride height or for a ~2.75" raised height. Priced affordably too, I think all four shocks/struts came to just under $300.

Despite the soft ride on those I prefer a sportier feel so I went back to Bilsteins after trying them out - that's just a personal preference there.

OP
OP
hammy56

hammy56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are a couple different ways to level a 4wd 1500... spacers on top of the stock struts or aftermarket struts with adjustable lower coil seat height are the most common. Hard to say what specifically is causing yours to ride rough without knowing what parts you have.

I can say from first hand experience the smoothest "cloud of ta-ta's" ride I've had on my Ram was with ProComp zx2014 struts (and zx2028 in back) - those incorporate a two position lower spring seat that can be set for stock ride height or for a ~2.75" raised height. Priced affordably too, I think all four shocks/struts came to just under $300.

Despite the soft ride on those I prefer a sportier feel so I went back to Bilsteins after trying them out - that's just a personal preference there.

Thanks for the info. My level was done with spacers on top of the struts.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remove the spacers and do a strut level using either bilstein 5100's or even better Eibach struts and coils. Spacer lifts like you have are known to ride terrible and can over time be damaged and cause damage.

If you off road at all we have some other options to that are more expensive but will benefit you on and off road

Message us if you would like a quote on anything.

Hogman338

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are your tires & what air pressure are you running? If you have load range E tires running too much air pressure it will ride like crap.

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know very little about suspension, so I have a question.

2 years ago I had a front level done, and air bags in the rear. UCA's , 35's etc...

Since then the truck is VERY harsh over normal road conditions. Sunken manhole covers, potholes etc etc. Not a nice ride at all.

Is it safe to assume its just the stock shocks being worn? The truck only has 77k miles...but Im also wondering if the level decreases the life/quality of the stock shocks.

Wanted to get educated opinions before I spend money on new shocks.

Thanks!

There is this option https://www.thurenfabrication.com/thuren-ram-1500-kings.html which is what Nick@gotexhaust was saying as well by leveling with a new set of struts.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The leveling struts come at all points along the retail market.. I don't have experience with the Kings but so far 100% of people who have gone for it have loved it - some of that might be some bias like who's going to spend 3 grand and then say "well I f****ed up.." ?

In any case whether you go with the lowest cost option (those ProComp ones I mentioned) or with anything upmarket from them it's going to be an improvement over the spacers you have now. I have first hand personal experience with stock struts, the ProComps and Bilstein 5100's in this application, as well as 5100s with Eibach lift springs and ProComps with Eibach lift springs. For a soft ride at a budget price I'd ditch the spacers, use the ProComp's and of course make sure you're running the right tire pressure for your truck's weight. If you have a bit more money to dedicate, look at the Eibach lift struts or you could be a high roller with the Kings. I'm a fan of Bilsteins but some people do complain that they feel stiff so if that's not your preference they might be best to avoid.

Last edited: