Has Anybody Swapped A SelectTrac (type) Transfer Case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just curious if anyone has attempted to swap out and install a genuine Full-time/Part-time Transfer case (e.g. NV242 or similar) into a Ram 1500?

I wonder what it would take to do so in a Ram that has a 44-45 transfer case (like my 2012)? Not the actual physical install of the unit, but what electronic integration would there be?

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Before anyone asks why ...having the ability to leave a transfer case engaged in 4wd-Auto (the old-school way) could be particularly helpful on certain terrain types where a fully 'locked' system would start skipping.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Since the 242 is entirely mechanical, you’d install a mechanical shift lever. There’s going to be no electronic integration at all I think. I’m not familiar enough with your 2012 to know where it sources speed sensing to manage the transmission shift points. Could be some needed work so it would shift correctly in low range.

I get why it would be desirable, IMO the 242 was one of the best transfer cases ever built. Any mode you’d want. The full time 4x4 is fantastic on rocky trails with tight switchbacks.

Nothing beats a center diff with selective locking capability.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Before anyone asks why ...having the ability to leave a transfer case engaged in 4wd-Auto (the old-school way) could be particularly helpful on certain terrain types where a fully 'locked' system would start skipping.
If it's a mechanical t-case,use AlphaOBD to kill the 4X4 light,and you should be good to go,as the trucks use the wheel sensors for the speedo. I know of a couple guys who've totally deleted the t-cases on their 4X4's ,swapped in the 2 wheel drives 8 speed transmission,and just used AlphaOBD to kill the check engine light.That should basically be the same thing as you want to do,except you're adding in a mechanical t-case instead of completely removing it

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks that's good info.

Anyone know if there were any 242's (or 'Full-time' cases) used in Dakota's or Gen3 Rams with electronic speed sensing? If so, is there a particular year that would be 'ideal'? I haven't got that far in my journey yet.

I may 'consider' hooking a plow to my Ram (just in the 'idea stage' at this point, plz don't lecture me on hooking a plow to a 1500 vs a 2500.. I know all about plows). A 242 xfer case would be a much better option than a "Part-Time" case (it STILL seems backward using Jeep's 'full-time/part-time' nomenclature ..lol).

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found this on another site. Thought it was interesting. Something I didn't know:

....The NV231 being a stronger case (than the 242), depends on who you talk to. The 242 has a larger case, which typically represents a stronger case and internals.

Just some background transfer case info for you to know...

1. The first number designates the number of gear ranges (most of them being 2-ranges (4HI and 4LO), yet some of them have only one range). NV2XX

2. The second number designates the case size, which typically has a direct relation with the strength and use of the transfer case. NV23X, NV24X, & NV27X

3. The third number designates how the transfer case is actuated (shifts). NV231, NV233, NV242, NV243

From a post by KEN226 on this site (2019):
"When I google search the part# in your label pic above, that part# shows to be the NV246. I don't know whats going on with BW and New Venture Gear, but I get the impression that the 44-44 and the NV246 were the same transfer case.

If so, then I'd bet that the NV243 and the BW44-45 are the same transfer case as well."

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So based on that maybe the 243 would be a 'good' possible swap if a guy wanted full-time/part-time, electric shift and, I *believe* (??) electronic speed sensing.

I need to read through the entire post listed below. Probably has the answer I'm looking for (Imagine that ...the SEARCH function!! :D) . Looks like from my early quick glancing ...an early 4th gen 243 ...might just bolt in and program through AlfaOBD. And they had a manual shifted unit too, I 'guess'. Either way ....but a lever never lets you down. The research continues.... Any thoughts/comments welcome.

Possibly an early OBS GM-style shifter that sits off-center would allow use of the existing Ram fold-down cupholder assembly (if it would work) which come in 'bench seat' Ram trucks. Easier to reach down and lift up too. There's something 'real' and satisfying (dare I say 'manly') about reaching down and putting a truck in 4 wheel drive when ya need it. Rotating a dial or pushing a button is such a letdown.
4x4 Shifter Image.jpg

Last edited:

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You could use an NV271D from a 2005 to early 2012 Power Wagon or the BW t-case from a late 2012 to 2018(I think)Power Wagon
These both had manual floor shifters
Other 2500/3500 trucks will probably have the same availability,but I'm not sure what 1500s would work(never owned one)

Last edited:

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So based on that maybe the 243 would be a 'good' possible swap if a guy wanted full-time/part-time, electric shift and, I *believe* (??) electronic speed sensing.

I need to read through the entire post listed below. Probably has the answer I'm looking for (Imagine that ...the SEARCH function!! :D) . Looks like from my early quick glancing ...an early 4th gen 243 ...might just bolt in and program through AlfaOBD. And they had a manual shifted unit too, I 'guess'. Either way ....but a lever never lets you down. The research continues.... Any thoughts/comments welcome.

Possibly an early OBS GM-style shifter that sits off-center would allow use of the existing Ram fold-down cupholder assembly (if it would work) which come in 'bench seat' Ram trucks. Easier to reach down and lift up too. There's something 'real' and satisfying (dare I say 'manly') about reaching down and putting a truck in 4 wheel drive when ya need it. Rotating a dial or pushing a button is such a letdown.
View attachment 515281
I owned a 97 and a 99 XJ and do miss the yank lever. Those were awesome!

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
IIRC there were two versions; the 242 and the 242HD with stronger reduction gears and bigger shafts.

The 242HD was used in some V8 Jeeps I believe. I think your truck has a 65RFE, which mechanically is identical to the previous 545RFE also used in Jeeps with a V8.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 515281
Above this post you wrote maybe a NV243 is the 44-45 - isn't that what you already have?

Aren't you looking to go to the 44-44 or equivalent? (manual or electric)

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My tk has a 45 now. Has a true LOCK, but no Auto feature. I was 'toying' with the idea of possibly swapping with a xfer case which has a traditional Auto feature (...mechanical not integrated with traction control like the 44).

It looks like the 243 'might' be that unit, or, I read the 246. I'm looking for help if anyone has a difinitive answer which would swap in more easily. It would probably be more work to circumvent the electric shift feature, so probably have to keep that and change the knob module.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know of a couple guys who've totally deleted the t-cases on their 4X4's ,swapped in the 2 wheel drives 8 speed transmission,and just used AlphaOBD to kill the check engine light.That should basically be the same thing as you want to do,except you're adding in a mechanical t-case instead of completely removing it
The big question is WHY? Why would someone remove 4wd. Most people would like to convert 2wd - 4wd but never heard anyone removing it. Please don't tell me fuel economy. :happy175: