Has anyone been able to enable to the cargo camera switch feature?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jerrad Roberts
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
try watching these - might help

That is actually where I learned to make the harness. I had to alter it a little bit because his goes to the connector on the driver side door and mine wasn't wired for that so I went straight into the radio. That wouldn't effect it would it? I imagine the connectors from the kick panel just plug in there and then go straight into the radio anyways, I just took the middle man out. All the ALFA OBD settings are the same. He did say you have to do 3 drive cycles, not sure what the definition of a drive cycle and I don't really drive my truck with it costing a paycheck to go to the store lol. Anyone have a semi definition? I drove it a round the block a few times and will drive it to work tomorrow to see if maybe that helps.

I suspected it was a replacement with these issues. Again thinking (typing) out loud here, have you tried to check the software version and done the updates?
I don't know but maybe coming from a JeeP that doesn't even have a cargo camera has something to do with it? Maybe reach out to https://www.infotainment.com/pages/infotainment-repair-services
and ask them if its repairable?

I wrote them today, the only problem is I paid 900 for the radio and its like 800 out the door to get them to repair it. Wait and see what they say if anything about it.

Another off topic but kind of the same, I was looking at the radio schematics and there is actually 3rd video input on there. Has anyone used that? If I can ever get this working, I know i used to have a front camera on my truck so my wife could push a button and it would turn it on and not hit anyone...Damn short people.

RAM_CHAOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That is actually where I learned to make the harness. I had to alter it a little bit because his goes to the connector on the driver side door and mine wasn't wired for that so I went straight into the radio. That wouldn't effect it would it? I imagine the connectors from the kick panel just plug in there and then go straight into the radio anyways, I just took the middle man out. All the ALFA OBD settings are the same. He did say you have to do 3 drive cycles, not sure what the definition of a drive cycle and I don't really drive my truck with it costing a paycheck to go to the store lol. Anyone have a semi definition? I drove it a round the block a few times and will drive it to work tomorrow to see if maybe that helps.

I wrote them today, the only problem is I paid 900 for the radio and its like 800 out the door to get them to repair it. Wait and see what they say if anything about it.

Another off topic but kind of the same, I was looking at the radio schematics and there is actually 3rd video input on there. Has anyone used that? If I can ever get this working, I know i used to have a front camera on my truck so my wife could push a button and it would turn it on and not hit anyone...Damn short people.
Ok so I’ve read about a “fix” on a few other post about some other issues.

Try disconnecting you negative battery terminal for 5 min then reconnecting. It might not do anything but for some people trying to change TPMS and Tire Size it suppose to re-allow then to access some OBD feature.

Just thinking maybe it will “reset” your radio like a hard reboot and things will come back as intended.

OP
OP
Jerrad Roberts
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ok meant to give an update this morning but the back up camera wasn't working at all. I had the buttons I was supposed to, and the cargo cam worked, but no back up. Decided to wait and went to pick up my 5th wheel. Shut it off to run into my house before I left and came out, all is working as it should....for now. I am guessing it just needed time to sit and think about its thoughts... Thanks for the help with all this. Now onto a new post about fixing my inverter lol

RAM_CHAOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok meant to give an update this morning but the back up camera wasn't working at all. I had the buttons I was supposed to, and the cargo cam worked, but no back up. Decided to wait and went to pick up my 5th wheel. Shut it off to run into my house before I left and came out, all is working as it should....for now. I am guessing it just needed time to sit and think about its thoughts... Thanks for the help with all this. Now onto a new post about fixing my inverter lol
Thanks!

I was thinking about this because I’m about to add the cargo camera too. Started thinking CRAP what am I getting into. I feel better now, at least I know if I’m struggling someone else will be too lol.

OP
OP
Jerrad Roberts
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If you watch those two videos it is very simple. My impatience is what got me. Are you looking to the few vendors that sell the cord or thinking of making your own? I tried to get in contact with all of them and had 0 luck but maybe they were just really busy.
Thanks!

I was thinking about this because I’m about to add the cargo camera too. Started thinking CRAP what am I getting into. I feel better now, at least I know if I’m struggling someone else will be too lol.

RAM_CHAOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you watch those two videos it is very simple. My impatience is what got me. Are you looking to the few vendors that sell the cord or thinking of making your own? I tried to get in contact with all of them and had 0 luck but maybe they were just really busy.

Luckily for me I found the guy in the video’s contact and hit him up directly through Instagram. He responded pretty quick. He’s busy so I’ve been waiting a month but I’m not in a hurry. So he’s making the harness for me, I’ve sent pics and etc so I should be able to plug into that pillar post connection, run wires from there to side of driver side connection then run wires from that clip to Radio. He’s said he’s done it before for another client, fingers crossed.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.

RAM_CHAOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I got my harness from here: https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/2013-2018-ram-2500and-up-chmsl-camera-harness

It is as close to factory you can get and the pigtail pinned wires simply plug in to the plug behind the end panel of the drivers side dash. No pulling the radio or dash apart. I think it took maybe 15 minutes using a fish tape to pull it through at the dash and across the headliner.
I’ve emailed theses guys at least 3 times and no response. However, I found another site that works with them and I think… they are just on vacation / break.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

RAM_CHAOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Mpgrimm2 and DeereGuy are M² Mods. @DeereGuy is also kaodtech, but he hasn't been on this site since May 2021. I can vouch that his chmsl harness is top notch and so are his instructions he sends with it.

Mpgrimm2 has his own thread for builds, https://www.ramforum.com/threads/m²-mods-intro-project-list.98332/, but it is closed while he is on vacation.
Does anyone have DeereGuy contact? I’ve emailed and would buy from him but like I’ve said - no comms back on emails I’ve sent to Kaodtech. I’m curious if he knows how to make a harness for the digital cargo camera vs 6 pin.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
you mention 3 drive cycles.
That just means that the ignition being started & shut off 3 times, like going to the store & back could be a drive cycle

Mostly the 2500 & 3500 Rams 8.4 Radios could have both the Tailgate & Cargo cameras
I would have to guess that instead of having a Cargo Camera, it could be routed to the grille instead

Wynded12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I have the opposite problem. I only see the cargo camera when I back up. I hit the other soft button on my screen but nothing pops up. It just goes to the cargo camera. I do have the back up camera on my rearview mirror tho, but I thought it went to the main screen also. I have no idea how to do that

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I have the opposite problem. I only see the cargo camera when I back up. I hit the other soft button on my screen but nothing pops up. It just goes to the cargo camera. I do have the back up camera on my rearview mirror tho, but I thought it went to the main screen also. I have no idea how to do that
interesting that they wouldn't set it up to run both on your dash console and instead of having it on your rearview. was that defined on your build sheet?

RAM_CHAOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
When putting in reverse you should see the Tailgate camera, then if you want, go into settings and select cargo. It’s been done by the guy in the video who did the first post. Wires might be mixed up and why it’s not working. I have the cargo camera but haven’t had time to do the wiring…. I’ll keep you posted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio