Has anyone installed both a Px6 & back up camera?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2009 Laramie, no back up cam, and (essentially) obsolete head unit radio.

I just installed a Tesla style Px6, and now want to install a back up camera.

I was all gung-ho to order up an OEM back up camera, but then read where someone installed a PX6, and apparently had fuzzy screen because of resolution mismatch. As I recall, the camera was older, and of lower resolution.

I've abandoned the idea of the OEM backup camera, and am looking to for success stories with recent aftermarket backup camera installs.

What brand? Source?

Thanks!

OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got a camera from Master Tailgaters for 2009 RAM.

I struggled to get it working, but the struggle was because I didn't understand the connections on the px6. No effn manual.

The px6 wiring harness had a yellow connector that said "Camera In", so I plugged the new cam in. That caused me to chase my tail until I learned that is for OEM cam feed only.

Another distraction was a wire that was labeled "Camera". Turns out it would go hot 12v when truck was put in reverse.

The px6 also had two unmarked yellow inputs. 50-50 shot. Plugged in the camera, and woo-hoo...back up cam works! Image is nice and crisp.

raptortech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2009 Laramie, no back up cam, and (essentially) obsolete head unit radio.

I just installed a Tesla style Px6, and now want to install a back up camera.

I was all gung-ho to order up an OEM back up camera, but then read where someone installed a PX6, and apparently had fuzzy screen because of resolution mismatch. As I recall, the camera was older, and of lower resolution.

I've abandoned the idea of the OEM backup camera, and am looking to for success stories with recent aftermarket backup camera installs.

What brand? Source?

Thanks!
that depends on the brand px6 radio. the only one that has that issue are the one's from phoenix. most other carriers you won't have that issue unless it's a dealer who gets their stuff from pheonix