Has Anyone Installed One Of The Generic Chinese Android Head Units?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I did a search and only found a post from ~05/2015 with one reference to the Ouku-branded units.

I just did the steering wheel audio controls, have the Metra double-DIN/FAKRA adapter/harness extension coming tomorrow, and ordered the Metra ASWC-1. I'm interested in feedback, even though they all seem to be made by the same manufacturer (Klyde). I'm leaning towards Joying because they seem to be fairly responsive, have regular firmware updates and supposedly have an upcoming Marshmallow model. Not entirely sure, but I *think* at least the KitKat ones might get Marshmallow, but I'm willing to wait a little while to see the new stuff.

Also, if anyone has installed one, do you have any tips? The ASWC-1 integration and the stock wiring functions are the two things I am focusing on. Thanks in advance.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed a couple of these when I was an installer. Everyone has their own opinion and some people like em, but my opinion, from a build quality, dependability, expandability, and audio quality standpoint, is they are junk. Light as a piece of paper, terrible audio quality and control, terrible connections for add ons such as amps and steering wheel controls, and slower and laggier than a Windows 95 computer.

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the reply. I knew there were some issues with audio quality and in particular BT mics. XDA forum is probably more oriented on the OS, but it seemed people were generally happy with them. I'll keep this in mind. I still haven't bought a HU, and there was a JVC model I'd bookmarked in case I chickened-out on the Androids.

Meanwhile, any other experiences or install advice is welcomed. Thanks again.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I mean I haven't been doing installs since 2012 so it's been a while since I've seen one. But I do know that I wasn't impressed at all with them. I'm kind of an audiophile and I can't imagine only having "bass" and "treble" as your only audio settings, like they did back then. Most of the ones I saw also only had one set of rca pre outs too. Im not sure if they're compatible with the steering wheel controls you mentioned either. Just something to look into if you decide you want to go this route.

coolaide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The newer ones are just as good if not better than most factory nav systems. the newer one come with android auto so you actually get the same interface as the newer factory nav. sound quality is on par with all the other after market units to. I'm also waiting on the next releases to do my install. the last year has seen some really nice unit come out. and there is even build your own kits now.
EDIT: as there are ones with steering wheel control, rear view camera and 6 preouts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
The newer ones are just as good if not better than most factory nav systems. the newer one come with android auto so you actually get the same interface as the newer factory nav. sound quality is on par with all the other after market units to. I'm also waiting on the next releases to do my install. the last year has seen some really nice unit come out. and there is even build your own kits now.
EDIT: as there are ones with steering wheel control, rear view camera and 6 preouts.
What are you seeing about Marshmallow head units? All I saw was ~EOY 2015-1Q 2016.

EDIT: I contacted Joying yesterday. They are currently working on Marshmallow HUs (with no stated timeframe), but explicitly stated they don't promise an OS update to older units. Additionally, I measured the Metra double-DIN opening, and it seems a little under-sized for the Klyde chassis. I need to get a metric ruler, but I'm thinking ~2MM width too narrow. Height seems pretty close but maybe needs a little relief for fit.

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I ended up getting the full-touchscreen model at Christmas. It's going to be a while before I get it all installed, since there is a number of prep things to do/decide about..stuff like antennas, peripherals et cetera.

Part of the prep is I'm going to install a flush-mount mic in the headliner, and since I'm going to do that, I'm going to replace the headliner. And I want to add a SSD, but don't quite know where I want it. And I really want to try Wi-Fi via the little co-ax antenna before deciding if it needs something better (there is a thread on XDA Forum where someone did this). So, while the headliner would be out, that's when I'd want to run cables for any antennas.

I will say this-the Metra bezel is too small. I already knew that from measuring. The model with the ON/OFF/VOL knob is slightly smaller (178MM width X 100 height) than the touchscreen model (178 X 102). Actually, neither radio will fit width, as the Metra opening is slightly over 176 MM. There is a ridge you'll see on the backside of the bezel where the opening is, and it so happens that if you cut just around that, it's about perfect for the touchscreen model+a little sanding to clean up edges. The knob model seems like it'll be fine in the stock Metra opening, but *might* need a slight sanding for width. I want to say the actual Metra opening measurements I observed were 176 X 100.

And then there's wiring. You'll need to get a Chrysler-ISO adapter or splice some ISO ends to something like a Scosche pigtail. I did a metric ****ton of searching for an adapter and finally found Chrysler Grand Voyager ISO Lead Wiring Harness Connector Stereo Adaptor PC2 79 4 | eBay this. It should be here any day now, since it's coming from UK. Seems like lead time is probably ~ two weeks.

And after that harness adapter arrives, I'm going to have to compare what wires are NOT making it over to the ISO plugs on the eBay harness. I'm pretty sure the SWAC are not, so the Key 1/Key 2 leads from the radio will have to be incorporated into the adapter or otherwise accounted for (if applicable to other vehicles). These radios supposedly don't need SWAC converters like the PAC or Axxess if your truck is pre-CANBUS.

So, other than a scratch on the Metra bezel face when I was cutting (repaired), I had already intended a vinyl wrap for the bezel. Gotta decide on color. Oh, if anybody else installs one of these Chinese Android HUs, there is also an ATSC television converter (saw it in Pumpkin-brand radio accessories..Joying only shows DVB), if you want to try that. Personally, I'm not planning on an amp, although I have some Kicker speakers from Crutchfield due 1/5/16.

So, depending upon how you want to configure the setup, there is a LOT of logistics involved..not so much on the straight HU install. There's even a three-way antenna https://telcoantennas.com.au/site/taoglas-spartan-heavy-duty-3g-4g-gps-wifi-low-profile-antenna if one wanted to combine the 3G dongle/Wi-Fi and GPS under one small dome.

IMG_0665_zpsqeqzgcpd.jpg

Preliminary fit test. Looks like exposure will be flush with bezel and not require new mounting holes in dash, although there is the ability to adjust exposure/height either with the bracket or the multiple screw holes in the HU sides.

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Testing Wi-Fi at my house. Still a lot of stuff to sort out and I'm not installing it, yet. Moved pin 14 (PCI bus) into harness with temporary connection-no harmful effects.

However, I'm not sure it is working. Radio wants to auto-scan and I don't care to F with that, right now. I'm going to vet function by function and then sort out peripherals.

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Okay; here's some pictures. This is the Home screen. It's animated, and the default. There are other animations as well as the option for your own picture or something downloaded. I need to find where the Dodge Ram logo boot screen is, or where to get it, but that can wait for final install.

IMG_0679_zps5vn8xya6.jpg

Wi-Fi was set up in my driveway ~50' from my router. So, I'm reasonably happy with the signal.

IMG_0687_zpsdeaop0u7.jpg

This is when I composed the post above.

IMG_0688_zps5mijttgj.jpg

Viewing the post on RF.

IMG_0689_zpsslyj9q5g.jpg

Here is iGO navigation. There's the option of Sygic and these HUs support Google Maps-and from reading, some think that's the best option. Didn't update the included micro SD card with latest maps. IIRC, iGO updates free maps every three months. I like the option of offline or online navigation options.

IMG_0693_zpsuabjtsvb.jpg

Joying includes an 8GB thumb drive, and I put a few songs and videos on it. I accessed it through File Manager, and album art didn't show. I've read whatever external memory you use with Joying radios (and probably the others), you need to format it via the HU. I just copied/pasted with it in my laptop. So, maybe that's why album art isn't displayed or the method of accessing?

IDK if a video will show, but I have a playback clip. Through the harness I referenced in an earlier post, the ground theoretically goes to chassis. I drove around and watched this-you'll probably recognize this video of some cholos trying to burgle a store. I chose it because it's pretty short.

IMG_0696_zpsqn8sudde.mp4

Last edited:
OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Well, either I can't post a video or don't know how to. Doesn't matter since it does play fine stationary or moving.

About the SWAC..I don't think it'll work as I thought by connecting pin 14 to Key 1. I did ask and got a kinda vague answer that seemed to confirm if you only had one wire, you could use either Key 1 or Key 2, but ensure that the radio is grounded. Well, I know it was, since the video playback seems to work while in motion. Not giving up on it yet, but I'm thinking it will probably need the PAC or Axxess converter. As mentioned, no harm came from having the PCI wire connected to Key 1. I've re-installed the stock RBK radio for now, and the SWAC work just fine.

Something else I noticed, and this I would think applies to grounding. In trying to play content from the thumb drive, I accidentally selected "AVIN" or A/V In. It showed "Playback has been disabled for your safety". So, if I wanted (say) a front-mount camera, I'd have to sort that out.

IMG_0684_zpsdzhhimuv.jpg

As things go along, I'll add to my findings. So far, I'm happy with it. Even with the new Kicker speakers, sound isn't overwhelming. But neither was it with the stock RBK radio. So, maybe these could benefit from amps.

EDIT: Dodge Ram logo for boot screen is available..maybe SRT and others. There is the possibility of a custom one. Procedure is in link below. It looks damn good and replaces the Joying logo.

http://www.carjoying.com/Joying-blog/14.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Well, I'm at a bit of a standstill. I've not been able to get the head unit to recognize SWAC, and I've been doing a lot of reading to see if someone had successfully done this without an adapter box.

Everything I knew, everything I read confirms Pin 14 is the one that passes the signal. Joying has been very communicative but kinda at a loss; they keep asking if the truck is CANBUS and to hook up Key 1 and ground.

I read the Axxess ASWC-1 vehicle-specific instructions and it reads all you need on the harness is a switched hot, ground and pin 14. Okay.. well, I already have them in the harness or individually-connected (temporarily) to Key 1. From the adapter box, there's a male 3.5MM plug that goes to the head unit (if equipped so). Otherwise, you put a female 3.5MM jack with bare leads to the Key 1 wire. So, other than some signal processing through the box, the wiring is redundant to what I've got rigged.

All aboard Chrysler's PCI Bus | Search Autoparts This is a good article about the workings of the Chrysler PCI Bus system. I gather trigger voltage to devices is ~7.5V, so I wonder if it's insufficient for the head unit, or a different form of actuation. But I've got one last reply in to Joying before I try the ASWC-1.

Some other stuff..I live in a rural area, so I don't get great radio signal. But this HU is not doing that well at reception in optimal locations. This seems to be a common issue, and all the Android HU vendors sell antenna amps. However, I did kick the internal amp on and the sound is noticeably better. I mounted the GPS antenna where the center dash speaker would be and it ought to fit under the panel fine. It gets good signal, there.

I ran a USB cable to the driver's side dash speaker hole and think I'm going to get an inexpensive dongle and use the SIM card from my phone to see what that's like. I'll update this thread as I get farther along, in case anybody is considering one of these HUs, which for the money I recommend.

xTHxGrizzly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which HU did you end up purchasing from joying, im actually looking for a android HU as well and would rather something actually running android than spending 500+ on a android auto unit.

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
@xTHxGrizzly-I believe it's model JY-UQ128. It's the 1024 res quad-core with no knob. Knowing what I do now (read below), I recommend the unit with ON/OFF/VOL knob since it'll be easier to work than touch/slide. Other than the SWAC, I am liking it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
And while I'm at it, an update.

As I mentioned, I had no luck getting Key1 to work with pin 14. So, I tried the ASWC-1. Again, no luck.

I hooked it up per the instructions (confirming both the downloaded and included instructions agreed). The initial setup went fine and the ASWC-1 recognized the controls. There's only three wires to use; black (ground), red (switched hot) and pink (pin 14)

There is a jumper from the ASWC-1 harness with a 3.5MM male plug that will insert into radios with a 3.5MM jack. However, the Joying HUs (at least mine) have two wires for SWAC (Keys 1&2). Talking with Joying, they say if there's only one trigger wire, just use Key1. So I plugged the adapter in and connected the solid brown wire from the ASWC-1 jumper to Key1. Nothing.

I verified my connections (soldered/heat shrink) and went back over the instructions. I could neither get the SWAC or manual programming within the HU settings. I called Metra and they suggested remapping the ASWC-1 to either Pioneer/Jensen or Metra OE radios. Nothing.

I did a quick look online and saw a review on Amazon for a "Pumpkin Auto" Android HU and the author said he had to hook BOTH Keys 1&2 to the solid brown wire. And he also mentioned there being a third ground wire for SWAC that was in the ISO harness plug that needed to be removed. Well, the Joying HUs don't have that ground. Nonetheless, it didn't work for Keys 1&2 to be hooked up to the solid brown wire. The Metra tech said also to try the brown to Key1 and brown/white to Key2. Nothing.

Finally, I called Crutchfield, where I ordered it from. I went back over every step and mentioned I called Metra and tried their suggestions. The Crutchfield tech confirmed I did everything right and conceded it just might not be compatible.

The Crutchfield tech said I've got time to return it, and even that it was soldered wasn't a problem. BTW, I soldered to the Chrysler/ISO adapter harness I mentioned I got from eBay. I already had misgivings about this working, so no way in hell would I screw with the factory harness. I'll just wrap where I cut with tape or order another adapter harness (~$20 USD shipped, from UK).

I'm gonna do some more searching this next week to see if anyone found a workaround. If not, I'm returning the ASWC-1. Justin wasn't kidding when he said there were issues with SWAC and these types of HUs.

Otherwise, everything works well. My next things to try will be either a 3G dongle or the back-up camera, and I'll update when I do those.

IMG_0706_zpsvyxahegy.jpg

Soldered/heat shrink into Chrysler/ISO harness.

IMG_0705_zpsbzpso8py.jpg

ASWC-1.

EDIT: I ordered the antenna amp, so we'll see if that improves radio reception. Joying also suggest not plugging the antenna in until it bottoms-out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I give up. Gonna send the ASWC-1 back to Crutchfield.

I did some more research and didn't find anything specifically to Joying units. I did see stuff for Pumpkin and Ouku, but not really much. Stuff either works, or people don't care to explain what they did. One Nissan forum member said he got an Ouku to work by selecting ALL functions before tapping SAVE. Didn't work.

I did have a little success. I grounded Key2 and inadvertently had the brown/white (Key2) lead from the ASWC-1 hooked to Key1. I was able to save VOL UP only; this is what the screen looks like when a button is successfully saved.

IMG_0707_zps0padqltn.jpg

lol, it still didn't work through the controls, even as it was recognized in the HU. :crazy:

In an Ouku post on XDA, a member said he went into Factory Settings and selected a sub-model. I tried it on NO CANBUS and a I guess some Chinese-specific Chrysler and Jeep settings-especially the ones that had Simple in parentheses.

I'd still like SWAC to work, but I'm not actively pursuing it. If I incidentally come across something in the future, I may try it and report back. Meanwhile, if anybody has made these Chinese Android HUs work with 3G Ram SWAC, please post how you did it. Joying isn't going to be of help, I think. In fact, they keep on with that "you need to ground". What to ground? There is no key wire ground for us or on their radios,, and the chassis is grounded through the harness. Ground Key2? I already tried that. They have videos of hooking up test SWAC and I'm sure they think everything is like that or depend upon Klyde to sort stuff out.

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
This evolved from a question about radios to basically a DIY thread. So I'm going to put up some more pictures that might benefit others.

I used the Metra bezel. Others have patched their stock bezels/opened them to size or used a Weedahoe bezel. http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-6522B-Double-Install-2002-2005/dp/B00KQ1JJA0%3Fpsc%3D1%26SubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-ffnt-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00KQ1JJA0 Right now, that's the half-harness, FAKRA antenna adapter and bezel for $29.99-a heck of a deal.

IMG_0653_zpsacrbuejk.jpg

It's not the best picture, but here you can see how the JY-UQ128 is exactly the size of the lip around the opening on all sides. I think on the JY-UQ124 you'd only need the short sides relieved.

IMG_0657_zpssibkyunp.jpg

I used this plastic cutting tool rather than a Dremel. It's ~$5.00 at Lowe's and more controllable. Basically, I just cut right around the outside of those opening lips.

IMG_0659_zps7hps2wuu.jpg

Here's a good picture of what's removed. The edges cut pretty clean with this tool if you re-sharpen, but I still needed to do a little sanding.

IMG_0661_zpsnq43eeho.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Might as well post some speaker pics. This is good reference to see what stock versus aftermarket looks like.

Front 6X9s, from top. Those are DS-series Kickers front and back. I think that's a step up from their economy models but no means their best.

IMG_0668_zpsahzvv18f.jpg

Side view. The magnets are noticeably larger on the fronts, and the speaker is deeper. It might fit the door, but you'll see the frame is different and won't fit the existing hole.

IMG_0669_zpsswqq13vy.jpg

I asked for spacers and got these Scosche ones included. I had to cut them out to ~1/2" margin to allow for the pointed corners on the speaker. Only two diagonal points work with the existing holes, so you'll have to drill your own.

IMG_0670_zpsqpfakqlr.jpg

Driver's door installed. Actually, I did this while the HU was in transit.

IMG_0673_zpsbyuvwcxd.jpg

Rear Quad Cab speaker comparison. These are closer in size, if not specs. A couple of new mount holes is needed. but nothing else.

IMG_0675_zpsx12vtamp.jpg

Side view.

IMG_0676_zpsdaytdgpd.jpg

hankRam2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] thanks for taking time to document with pictures.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id like to read your comments, but I can't stop looking at your avatar gif.

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] thanks for taking time to document with pictures.
Thanks for looking! It's all about sharing knowledge. I've learned stuff here and thought I'd return the favor by making it easy for the next person.

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Id like to read your comments, but I can't stop looking at your avatar gif.
Dude, you were right about the SWAC probably not functioning even with the ASWC-1. If I could make them work, that'd be avatar and beer.