Has Anyone Installed One Of The Generic Chinese Android Head Units?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not too familiar with the interface or options for a 4th gen truck. It is possible that if you have a factory amp, that the interface is not turning the amp off when you've turned the truck off. Allowing it to sit, turned on, all the time. I've seen this with some older volkswagens.

zetoune

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not too familiar with the interface or options for a 4th gen truck. It is possible that if you have a factory amp, that the interface is not turning the amp off when you've turned the truck off. Allowing it to sit, turned on, all the time. I've seen this with some older volkswagens.

This is what I read yesterday night. I hope it's the only problem. I could add a switch on the 12V amp line. I will test it later this week or the week after and let you know.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what I read yesterday night. I hope it's the only problem. I could add a switch on the 12V amp line. I will test it later this week or the week after and let you know.

Unfortunately the turn on/turn off signals are sent through that can bus data circuit, so you'll have to do some digging into wiring diagrams to find where the constant power to the amp is.

If you do find that the issue is this, and you find the constant 12v power to the amp, the good news is that you can use a simple relay wired up to the red wire going to the new radio, to allow power to the amp only if your radio is on. This will keep the RAP function and all that good stuff.

zetoune

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello there,

I made a mistake. I wanted to say "Sub" not amp. Even if think the sub needs an Amp, doesn't it?

Anyway, I've found someone in my area. He checked my car and found that the interface was the problem. As you said, justin13703, it seems that the interface switches things on though the data bus, and keeps them on forever.

The drain was at least 0.7A all the time.

Then he told me he could installed the HU in analog mode. No canbus interface needed for the HU. I let him do it even I thought it was mandatory to make the car work correctly.

Everything's been working as excepted so far (even the SWC). I haven't used my car for one week and it started without any jump-start.

I'll keep you updated if the battery does down again.

BTW, it seems to have improved the FM signal as well. No more interference.

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
If you use any of the Mozilla family of browsers, there are several extensions available to view Photobucket links. IDK if there's anything for Mac/IE/Edge/Opera.

FYI-It still works great.

jlad84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hello all, found this thread from a google search while trying to sort out the SWC with my Pumpkin Audio HU. Noticed something in a post that gave me an idea, which surprisingly worked, so I wanted to contribute to the cause.

Ok,.... I have a 2011 Ram 2500, it is a CANBus system, and has the (TERRIBLE) Alpine Premium sound system. I installed Pumpkin Audio 10.1 HU that is running Android 7.1.2. I used an Axxess AX-ADCH100 and ASWC-1. The AX-ADCH100 came pre-wired for use with the ASWC-1 so all I used from the ASWC-1 packaging was the control box itself and the 3.5mm female connector. The HU harness has "Key 1" and "Key 2" wires which i connected to the Br and Br/W wires of the 3.5mm female connector from the ASWC-1 package. This 3.5mm female connected to the 3.5mm male in the AX-ADCH100 harness. As I said before, the AX-ADCH100 is pre-wired for the ASWC-1 so on the side of the harness with bare wires (where the HU harness is connected) there are 2 ground wires. 1 ground is for the ASWC-1 and the other ground is for everything else. According to AXXESS these 2 cannot go to the same grounding point. The general purpouse ground will connect to the ground from the HU harness however the ASWC-1 ground needs to go to its own body ground with as short a wire and as few splices/connectors as possible.

Ok, thats all the connections, now the software side....

I downloaded the AXXESS updater and installed the latest firmware on both boxes (the control box for the main harness and the box for the ASWC). Once they were both updated I reinstalled into the harness on the truck. With the ignition off, i connected the ASWC box (micro USB) to the PC and opened the AXXESS updater again and forced it to Metra OE radio type. Then I turned the ignition to ON/RUN. When the LED on the ASWC began rapid flash I started continually pressing the VOL+ on the steering wheel. I stopped pressing VOL+ once the ASWC started the slow blink. The slow blinking went to a steady on LED after about 5-6 sec. Next I went to the SWC section of the Settings menu on the HU and pressed a button on the steering wheel. The head unit immediately recognized the button had been pressed and switched to the screen where i can assign a function to the button i had pressed. I continued this process, pushing SWC buttons and selecting a function until all SWC buttons had been programed then I hit save and......... VOILA!!!!!! It works!!!!!

In addition to their original function I was also able to program some of the buttons to have a pause, mute, home, and back. Also, I do realize this is an old thread, but i found it AND it helped me so I just wanted to try and contribute. If I left anything out please let me know. GOOD LUCK!!!

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my plans are to get one of these chinese android radios, probably in the next few months. I already have one in my caravan I installed in 2016, it still works great.

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well, I have it installed now. a Xtron Tr108
Pleasant surprise, kinda. I found this attached to the aftermarket pioneer. I wonder if they ripped the customer off saying he need this or his steering wheel had to be replace, I see no controls on it.
20181225_094419.jpg
no cutting involved!!!!
20181225_110904.jpg

20181225_110844.jpg

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Great! Post some thoughts. I am still considering these units.

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the radio so far. however I am not sure yet if the home/pwr/vol places light up. Its kinda necessary at night. It is possible I missed a wire. I definitely need to get the steering wheel controls working then it wouldn't matter. So I need to get a wheel that has the buttons.

cons: home/pwr/vol are not lit(maybe). supplied mounting bracket only attaches with one screw and you need a spacer on both sides, it doesn't quite reach the stock mounting holes on the dash.

pros: no cutting bezel. sound is decent. big beautiful display. Maps work either sygic or waze. Wifi works great too.
mk96 anything else you want to know?

--edit. I found I left out a wire for illumination.

Last edited:

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The sound quality is what I am after. I am replacing my headunit in 4th gen with Alpine amp. I wouldn't go step back as far as sound quality goes. These units together with Joying and Dasaita have better screen resolution than most big brand aftermarket solutions. Apart from Alpine Restyle that cost 10x more :)