Has anyone replaced the water inlet tube on their water pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like the salt on the roads in NJ corroded the tube on my water pump and it now has a small dripping leak. Initially, I was thinking I would have to replace the water pump, but after looking into it...looks like I can just replace the tube itself. Has anyone replaced this? Did you use an OEM part? I see some made by Dorman that appear to be pretty good. Here's a pic of the tube I need to replace:

upload_2021-3-3_15-16-37.png

From what I can tell, it's just inserted into the pump and has an o-ring to seal it?

Thanks!

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couldnt you replace the oring or is the tube corroded?

Sorry dumb question just not sure where your leak is.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's the tube that's corroded. It's looked bad for a couple years....now it's leaking.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles on your truck ? If it's a lot i would just install a new water pump. They're very easy to do

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OEM 53022199AC lists for $55, most of the current Dorman products are not anywhere close to what made them.

Curiously I had some drips from where the tube goes into the water pump back in January but nothing since. Makes me wonder if that's more an issue of different thermal expansion and contraction between the steel tube and aluminum water pump housing.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the 3.9 dakota had almost the same design. was just a steel tube where the heater hose plugged in. i pulled the tube to replace the oring. nothing difficult about it. dorman i wont even bother with

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles on your truck ? If it's a lot i would just install a new water pump. They're very easy to do

My truck has 61K miles on it....so I would think the water pump itself should still be good for a while.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OEM 53022199AC lists for $55, most of the current Dorman products are not anywhere close to what made them.

Curiously I had some drips from where the tube goes into the water pump back in January but nothing since. Makes me wonder if that's more an issue of different thermal expansion and contraction between the steel tube and aluminum water pump housing.

The OEM replacement isn't expensive....the problem is my local dealers don't have one in stock. When I talked to the one guy in the parts department, he actually mentioned just replacing it with a Dorman. Since it's not really a mechanical part...it's only a piece of tubing, I ordered a Dorman. It will be here today. As far as it dripping, mine is definitely leaking. I first noticed it because there was a small maybe 8" round wet spot on the driveway below it. I through a small bucket below it and maybe it's lost a cup or so in the last day.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck has 61K miles on it....so I would think the water pump itself should still be good for a while.
If it was my truck I would replace the water pump and not have to worry about it

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At 61,000 miles that water pump isn't even broken in, replace the tube and O ring and make sure you get the air out of the system and you use the right Antifreeze.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry....never got around to following-up with this post. I replaced the tubing from the water pump going to the heater core. Easy job....no more leaks. Here's a pic of the original OEM part next to the Dorman aftermarket I replaced it with. Certainly beat replacing the water pump with only 61K miles on it.

dorman.jpg

Last edited:

Ramsportrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry....never got around to following-up with this post. I replaced the tubing from the water pump going to the heater core. Easy job....no more leaks. Here's a pic of the original OEM part next to the Dorman aftermarket I replaced it with. Certainly beat replacing the water pump with only 61K miles on it.
so cut and dry replacement?? one bolt , twist and pull?? noticed mine is all scaled with rust yesterday so i want to change it and the clamps... right at 65K

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so cut and dry replacement?? one bolt , twist and pull?? noticed mine is all scaled with rust yesterday so i want to change it and the clamps... right at 65K
Yup....it was that easy to replace it. One bolt that's easy to get to, then just kinda twist and pull out the old tube. The Dorman part fit perfectly.