Has anyone solved the USB to center console problem yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all, new member here.

I was combing through the forum, and didn't see an answer, so I apologize if I missed it.

I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Express which came with the non upgraded Stereo (with XM/Sirus)

I swapped out the radio with a Pioneer double din unit, while I was removing the stock radio, I saw the usb plug that went from the back of the radio, to the center console.. The cable end to the radio was a USB mini male.. So I found a female mini to USB A (standard) adapter... It lights up the console USB, but the screen on my Pioneer says "Incompatible USB"

Did Dodge use some type of Proprietary USB? Anything else I could be missing? I have tried two other adapters.. all the same result.

Would really like to have my console USB useable... Any ideas?

Thanks!

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It's a USB hub, your radio probably only accepts one device.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Informal

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a USB hub, your radio probably only accepts one device.

Ahh, so it's not just a single run USB to the console? It hits a harness and is used for other USB devices?

I guess I'm looking at getting a panel mount USB like this one

USB Adapter A-A, Black - ECF504B-UAA

and installing it in the console, anyone know how difficult access is to the backside of the console?

Thanks for your reply jeepguy.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You could try a USB that doesn't have a USB port, SD reader, and auxiliary jack.

OP
OP
Informal

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could try a USB that doesn't have a USB port, SD reader, and auxiliary jack.

Sorry.. I don't understand, are you talking about another port already on the truck?

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Some trucks have just the port and no SD reader. That panel may work.

OP
OP
Informal

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has just the port and aux input

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You could open it up and wire the cable directly to the USB port. And then wire the auction jack directly to the aux in jack.

OP
OP
Informal

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could open it up and wire the cable directly to the USB port. And then wire the auction jack directly to the aux in jack.

Thats what I'm thinking, Perusing forums.. I haven't seen anyone who has figured out the easy access point, to get behind the panel.

Maybe I'll just go yank it out and have a look. :superhack:

OP
OP
Informal

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thought I would update this, in case another poor soul is seeking info on getting the center console USB to work with an aftermarket head unit.

My first move was to try a mini to standard adapter... no go, says "Incompatible USB"
My next move was to cut the cable that leads to the center console (it's under the drivers seat) oddly enough, when I cut it... it was 4 cables Red- Black-White-Green (same as any Standard USB... So I figured Dodge must have reversed the data lines for some weird proprietary thing.. So I hardwired the cable and switched the data+ and data- wire...Still no go... then I got flat out reckless and tried dozens of different orientations.. NOTHING works.. I'll search for a few more months for an answer to this mystery..Then just run a new line up to the console.
I can't be the only 2013 with an aftermarket HU who wants his center console USB to work.. Can I? :think:

OP
OP
Informal

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

gmzvip23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2k12
Engine
Thanks for the link, I just ordered one... Have to say I'm fairly pissed off at the guy I spoke with at Metra.... Who claimed they made no such cable. :argue:

tell us if it works man. Id like to keep my ipod sperate from my phone.

RamExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yeah let us know! that way I don't have to pull mine back out if it doesn't work :party36:

OP
OP
Informal

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah let us know! that way I don't have to pull mine back out if it doesn't work :party36:

Should arrive today or tomorrow, I'll let you know when it's installed.

OP
OP
Informal

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Incompatible USB

Same as the last two adapters I tried...
Would be nice if they tried these things before they advertise them as a fix "For those that want to retain OE USB connectivity"

I give up on trying to make this work, just gonna look for a panel mount USB and re-do the whole run.

RamExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
well that sucks!

I think the "solution" is to do a single run and then splice it into the current plug in the panel. Remove the rest of the wire "hub" part that might be causing the issue. That way it remains factory looking but functions with aftermarket radio. That's gonna be my plan next spring when i get some time to tear it all apart.

OP
OP
Informal

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well that sucks!

I think the "solution" is to do a single run and then splice it into the current plug in the panel. Remove the rest of the wire "hub" part that might be causing the issue. That way it remains factory looking but functions with aftermarket radio. That's gonna be my plan next spring when i get some time to tear it all apart.

I already tried this... I put a fresh cable right up to the USB block, The business end of the plug seems to be where the problem lies.

It seems most Car makers disregarded what the "U" in USB stands for..

UNIVERSAL !!!!!!!

Amabate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm trying to figure this out as well. The only thing that I think may be an issue is if the mini connector has the ID shorted to ground (or visa versa) in the adapter and the HU doesn't like it. I'm going to try plugging a cable from my stock usb to a phone with a mini B connector and see if the stock stereo still see's the device (it should). If not then the issue isn't with the stock cable it's in the actual connector.

OP
OP
Informal

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to figure this out as well. The only thing that I think may be an issue is if the mini connector has the ID shorted to ground (or visa versa) in the adapter and the HU doesn't like it. I'm going to try plugging a cable from my stock usb to a phone with a mini B connector and see if the stock stereo still see's the device (it should). If not then the issue isn't with the stock cable it's in the actual connector.

I agree, I think the problem lies in the connector.. I actually cut the wires and rewired in every imaginable config.. Nothing