Has Ram Fixed The Hemi Exhaust Bolt Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V8orBust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I've seen complaints as recent as 2017 model years with the same snapping bolt issues.

I have a 4.7. Exhaust is all original from the cats forward. Family member has a 2012 with the hemi tick and also broken manifold bolts.

Are the snapping bolts fixed on the 2019+ models? Anyone know if the replacement bolt part #s changed?

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I don't think so. Its aluminum heads, cast iron manifolds, steel bolts, all heating/cooling at different rates. Got rid of my Ford 5.4 after 3 manifold /broken bolt issues in two years, and snapped off spark plugs. my 4.7 02 dodge did it once too.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ that.

Thermodynamics cant really change. They also cant put larger diameter bolts in because they are already so close to the water jacket passages.

Doesnt seem to be uncommon even with other brands that have similar setups (alum heads, iron manifolds, etc).

OP
OP
V

V8orBust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Didn't they switch to a higher grade or something?

I have a car in my garage with aluminum heads and an iron manifold. 150,000 miles, zero snapped bolts.

Does ARP or anyone make aftermarket ones? What's the fix, just replacing them with the same bolts that break? Seems like there should be a better repair by now.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There have been various theories over the years that they changed "something" but the overall design remains.

Its possible something got better, or we just havent seen newer ones popping bolts because they arent old enough yet.

On the flipside, if its going to happen, I think I would rather have the bolts snap than potentially pulling the threads out of the head, so having stronger bolts could possibly make it worse to deal with later on.

OP
OP
V

V8orBust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I guess so.

What's the repair, just drill and tap, or unscrew the old studs and replace with new ones?

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess so.

What's the repair, just drill and tap, or unscrew the old studs and replace with new ones?

It depends on where they snap. Be awesome if vice grips would grab it. Some people have enough left to weld a nut to or you can try to drill and use an ez out. Then probably last would be drill and tap. Basically standard broken and/or stripped bolt techniques.

I thought around 2014 they upgraded the bolts and the issue was greatly reduced.

A lot of the new cars don't have manifolds in the traditional sense. They are cast as part of the head. There is just a mount point for the exhaust pipe. The Pentastar v6 is one of those.

2016-fca-pentastar-3-6-l-engine-cutaway2-600-001.jpg

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No they didn’t fix it, you have some options
1) after market headers
2) once bolts break- pull the exhaust manifold have it re milled and use new arp bolts.
3) don’t do anything, just replace the stock bolts with stock bolts.
Only problem with option 3 is it is guaranteed to happen again.

dgibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ that.

Thermodynamics cant really change. They also cant put larger diameter bolts in because they are already so close to the water jacket passages.

Doesnt seem to be uncommon even with other brands that have similar setups (alum heads, iron manifolds, etc).

Your right Chevy has same problem!

dgibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stop stumping on it cold! If you live near a HWY, let it warm up for a few minutes.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Staring in 2018 they added a support brace for the top and bottom of the exhaust manifolds that goes between the bolts and the manifold. So we will see if that helps any in the near future.

WWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The Mopar manual for 2019 Ram 1500 has two diagrams labeling the bolt locations for the exhaust manifold on right and left sides of engine. The two most rearward bolts on each side are described as stainless steel and all bolts removed must be installed in the same location as they were removed from. This would appear to be part of the fix.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Mopar manual for 2019 Ram 1500 has two diagrams labeling the bolt locations for the exhaust manifold on right and left sides of engine. The two most rearward bolts on each side are described as stainless steel and all bolts removed must be installed in the same location as they were removed from. This would appear to be part of the fix.

Interesting... And Welcome!

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Honestly the best thing I did when I bought my 2016 used was verified i had no broken bolts. Then as soon as i got it home I literally went to the hardware store bought
M8 1.25 x 45 bolts with washers and lock washers... they have a 13mm head so you can get a good torque on them.
I replaced one by one (one old one out and one new one in) and so forth.
You do lose the heat shields but I didnt care as long as the bolts were swapped and no risk of breaking.
I did have my dealer afterwards replace the manifolds and gaskets under warranty which there awesome about but use by m8 bolts again just to ensure incase I warped the manifold in anyway that it wouldn't be a future issue. So far so good. And they did say the bolts had been upgraded from mopar to a stronger bolt and they have seen less issues since... they gave me all the oem bolts and heat shields because it came as part of the set for warranty. But to me they look the exact same as the originals...so theres an option too.3dc6bd601fdd005311bbf0a7c04ae6fc.jpg038c8c87a6f30c5871d6b3315cbb8a4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly the best thing I did when I bought my 2016 used was verified i had no broken bolts. Then as soon as i got it home I literally went to the hardware store bought
M8 1.25 x 45 bolts with washers and lock washers... they have a 13mm head so you can get a good torque on them.
I replaced one by one (one old one out and one new one in) and so forth.
You do lose the heat shields but I didnt care as long as the bolts were swapped and no risk of breaking.
I did have my dealer afterwards replace the manifolds and gaskets under warranty which there awesome about but use by m8 bolts again just to ensure incase I warped the manifold in anyway that it wouldn't be a future issue. So far so good. And they did say the bolts had been upgraded from mopar to a stronger bolt and they have seen less issues since... they gave me all the oem bolts and heat shields because it came as part of the set for warranty. But to me they look the exact same as the originals...so theres an option too.

If the larger bolts fixed the issue, why did the manifolds need to be replaced later on?

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen complaints as recent as 2017 model years with the same snapping bolt issues.

I have a 4.7. Exhaust is all original from the cats forward. Family member has a 2012 with the hemi tick and also broken manifold bolts.

Are the snapping bolts fixed on the 2019+ models? Anyone know if the replacement bolt part #s changed?
what about titanium bolts

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If the larger bolts fixed the issue, why did the manifolds need to be replaced later on?
Pretty much for piece of mind as when I had talked with my tech he said even though I did it one by one with the bolts ...the manifold may be warped due to the unevenness of being tight once removing one and so forth... so he said they could put it through as warranty for replacement manifold and all due to "broken bolts" as he wrote on the warranty but solely just replaced the actual manifold and gasket...with the m8 bolts I had in there prior...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much for piece of mind as when I had talked with my tech he said even though I did it one by one with the bolts ...the manifold may be warped due to the unevenness of being tight once removing one and so forth... so he said they could put it through as warranty for replacement manifold and all due to "broken bolts" as he wrote on the warranty but solely just replaced the actual manifold and gasket...with the m8 bolts I had in there prior...

Thats some dealer! I cant ever see any dealer near me doing something unless absolutely positively necessary. And even then its a fight.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what about titanium bolts

I think the issue is that the stronger the bolt, the more chance it will pull out of the head.

At least if they snap off, there is a much better chance the head is still OK, but if the bolts are strong enough there is a chance over time they will pull on the threads in the head eventually rounding them off. Much higher chance of needing a new head, or at least a lot of work to get threads back in (helicoil, etc).

It sucks, but replacing bolts and manifolds is probably the "cheapest" problem.