Has Ram Fixed The Hemi Exhaust Bolt Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the issue is that the stronger the bolt, the more chance it will pull out of the head.

At least if they snap off, there is a much better chance the head is still OK, but if the bolts are strong enough there is a chance over time they will pull on the threads in the head eventually rounding them off. Much higher chance of needing a new head, or at least a lot of work to get threads back in (helicoil, etc).

It sucks, but replacing bolts and manifolds is probably the "cheapest" problem.
drive train warranty covers that if under the required mileage correct?

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thats some dealer! I cant ever see any dealer near me doing something unless absolutely positively necessary. And even then its a fight.
They probably are only good with me because I bought the truck there... and that's 6hrs away when I'm down visiting family... my local dealer up north won't touch the truck if they know its tuned or anything...where as the one I bought from said they'll warranty whatever as long as the clutch fans back on and the pcm is back to the stock one at time of visit...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Roddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope they solved this. I changed my own on my 2010, but my 2019 the engine sits in farther and they look harder to get to.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
what about titanium bolts

Stainless steel is likely used for thermal stability not strength. Just for example if I heat treat a 4140 machined bar it wilL twist and move on me but the same part made from 17-4 ph stainless steel will stay almost exact. Granted we don’t know the alloys being used but is just a thought.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is an older post but the issue was not fixed on the 2019s. My 2019 Limited 5.7L Ecotorque has both manifolds cracked and is at the dealer for replacements. Less than 90,000kms (55,000 miles). Build date would have been late Nov or Dec 2018.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It’s a different issue now. They have extra braces installed on the manifolds but now instead of broken bolts failing, we’re seeing cracked manifolds.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
It’s a different issue now. They have extra braces installed on the manifolds but now instead of broken bolts failing, we’re seeing cracked manifolds.
lol good grief

WWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I believe that in addition to the rear bolts being stainless steel, an added bracket, there are now 9 bolts instead of 8 bolts.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
I believe the whole issue is MDS. We have half the cylinders not working and the other half staying hot. Ive seen videos of where both manifolds crack right down the middle. The back four cylinders continue to fire and the front four stop firing causing a big heat difference.

I put 58k miles on my '17, some of them pretty hard miles. I turned MDS off every time I got in the truck and have never had this problem.
Im now 21k into my '20, and again, I turn MDS off every time I drive the truck.

I have no data to prove my statement, but in my head it makes sense...

Also, on the 5th gen trucks, I now have an extra feature to disable. That darn Auto Shut Off whenever the vehicle comes to a stop. To me, that is just asking for needles wear and tear on the motor.

All this junk they force these motors to do is crazy. If I was an engine, I wouldnt know how to act either!

RamMike7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like your thinking here, I would like to here more from others who have religiously shut off MDS Everytime they get in the truck and here if they have any exhaust manifold problems.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^ I got a MY 19, 1st 5th Gens built I bought in 2018. On the highway, I usually leave MDS on because it really does not kick in as much as PPL think unless maybe U R on a flat highway in Kansas? In town, 95% of the time, I manually select gear 8 and forget about it. Yes it is a huge PITA. But, U know the new Chevy's with the 3.0 Duramax's, Chevy having issues, these new motors and imploding at 5K. Kinda reminds me of the ED's, but not that low of mileage. Wonder who was daydreaming there. Not sure where the problem was, but would make me shy away from a new 3.0 GM. Kinda like with staying with the Trusted 5.7L Hemi or the 5.3 Vortec, than going new school. Choices, choices. Now, I only have 17,600 on the odometer on MY 19, so I sincerely hope no issues yet. RAM MIKE gonna be a long time before we get ne thing on a topic like that, IMHO...

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Interesting theory with the MDS but I have my doubts on that. I see this problem on non MDS engines as well. The MDS cylinders are not the front 4. MDS cylinders are 1,4,6,7. So driver side front and rear cylinder, passenger side middle cylinders. MDS also isn’t a constant thing, unless you’re driving with a very light foot at cruising speeds it doesn’t happen all that often. During decel all cylinders are shut off at certain times as well so all cylinders experience heating/cooling cycles on a regular basis.

Just comes down to dissimilar metals expanding/contracting at different rates. If the manifolds were made of a similar metal this likely wouldn’t be an issue. Some trucks have the braces and extra studs now, but now the weak point is the manifold themselves and they crack in the middle of the manifold.

Exhaust manifold bolts breaking has been an on going issue for a long time with lots of manufactures.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn