Hate this truck.... low coolant = lift noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had lifter tick really bad in my 5.7l hemi to the point shops told me it needed to be repaired. I noticed a radiator leak which turned out to be a cracked radiator in the truck. Once I put a new radiator in the noise went away.

Is there anyway the two would have any correlation?

Also my MPG went from 10.2 back up to 16.2 hwy/15.8 city

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I had lifter tick really bad in my 5.7l hemi to the point shops told me it needed to be repaired. I noticed a radiator leak which turned out to be a cracked radiator in the truck. Once I put a new radiator in the noise went away.

If it overheated there you go. Hemis don’t (usually) have enough oil pressure going to the head because at idle they don’t have enough oil pressure, and if you don’t do your oil changes every 3K or 5K (at the maximum) with full synthetic oil you’ll clog up the passages in the lifters and cause them to wear.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max in my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it overheated there you go. Hemis don’t (usually) have enough oil pressure going to the head because at idle they don’t have enough oil pressure, and if you don’t do your oil changes every 3K or 5K (at the maximum) with full synthetic oil you’ll clog up the passages in the lifters and cause them to wear.

All oil changes are done w synthetic no later than 5k. Truck never over heated. I'm realizing that the oil pick up is bad in these

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
All oil changes are done w synthetic no later than 5k. Truck never over heated. I'm realizing that the oil pick up is bad in these

What oil is used? I recommend redline or if you’re really going for good oil Amsoil. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is good too. I think that high volume oil pumps are available for the 5.7 Hemi, but i’m not sure.

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What oil is used? I recommend redline or if you’re really going for good oil Amsoil. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is good too. I think that high volume oil pumps are available for the 5.7 Hemi, but i’m not sure.

I'll look into an oil pump. I run mobil 1

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That's pretty strange!! Even if you had an overheat condition those aren't exactly known to heal themselves just from restoring coolant..

Might be worth doing a compression check to make sure all 8 cylinders really are closed up.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Who said oil pickup is bad.......only way they could be bad is from neglected OCI that would make them clog.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

6mpg increase from a rad replacement ??? Seems a little bit fishy,what else did you change. If you gained 6mpg from just doing the rad we all better swap rads then,lol.

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
6mpg increase from a rad replacement ??? Seems a little bit fishy,what else did you change. If you gained 6mpg from just doing the rad we all better swap rads then,lol.
The mpg went down when the noise started. I'm not saying any of this is correlated but I'm trying to figure it out

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just spitballing since none of us knows what's really going on here... but if the coolant was low and the coolant temperature sensor was just hanging out in ****** air it might have been reading lower temp than normal, causing the engine to stay in cold start enrichment for a lot longer and resulting in worse mpg.

None of that explains the noise, or why the noise went away.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

Curiosity has me wondering if you could be a little more specific to which hemi's you've experienced with low oil pressure? How low is low?

I've never seen nor heard of them running low pressure or that oil pressure itself was ever a problem.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Curiosity has me wondering if you could be a little more specific to which hemi's you've experienced with low oil pressure? How low is low?

I've never seen nor heard of them running low pressure or that oil pressure itself was ever a problem.

I’ve never experienced a Hemi with low oil pressure, but there are many reports of people with the 5.7 that have low oil pressure at idle, and it’s somewhat of a known issue with the 5.7. I’m not exactly an expert in this, and you should go to the Synthetic Oil thread and ask Burla for more information.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I’ve never experienced a Hemi with low oil pressure, but there are many reports of people with the 5.7 that have low oil pressure at idle, and it’s somewhat of a known issue with the 5.7. I’m not exactly an expert in this, and you should go to the Synthetic Oil thread and ask Burla for more information.

I'll pass on that thread. I can't read through 2200 of posts. My A.D.D kicks in and I'll forget what I'm even doing.

My rig always idles with 39psi of pressure at idle which isn't a problem. If guys are getting down into the teens for pressure I can see how a 5.7 oil pump which is crank driven to begin with should be replaced.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I'll pass on that thread. I can't read through 2200 of posts. My A.D.D kicks in and I'll forget what I'm even doing.

My rig always idles with 39psi of pressure at idle which isn't a problem. If guys are getting down into the teens for pressure I can see how a 5.7 oil pump which is crank driven to begin with should be replaced.

Thats pretty high for a Hemi, how many miles?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Actually that's not high at all.My truck idles right around 50 psi hot,with a relocated filter set-up,both my wifes Challengers idle in the 51 psi range hot,one was her old 2016 5.7 and her new one is a 2019 6.4. All 3 idle in that 50 psi range,and the truck has 500 nitrous drag strip passes on it and 44,000 miles of somewhat spirited driving,lol. Truck also shifts at 6600 rpm.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Just spitballing since none of us knows what's really going on here... but if the coolant was low and the coolant temperature sensor was just hanging out in ****** air it might have been reading lower temp than normal, causing the engine to stay in cold start enrichment for a lot longer and resulting in worse mpg.

None of that explains the noise, or why the noise went away.

I was thinking the same thing. Also, if you don't have proper coolant flowing through the engine I think you could make a case for a tolerance going out of whack due to something being too hot, and expansion where it shouldn't be... I could almost make a case for this happening.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Actually that's not high at all.My truck idles right around 50 psi hot,with a relocated filter set-up,both my wifes Challengers idle in the 51 psi range hot,one was her old 2016 5.7 and her new one is a 2019 6.4. All 3 idle in that 50 psi range,and the truck has 500 nitrous drag strip passes on it and 44,000 miles of somewhat spirited driving,lol. Truck also shifts at 6600 rpm.

Nice!

Octane

Reaction score
I had oil pressure so high on a small block chevy once,80 to 90 psi cold that I was concerned the seals were gonna pop out!