Having difficulty finding / deciding on a tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zer0t

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th Anniversary
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'd like a bed cover for my 21 PW ram box. What are the popular folding ones that you fellow owners have purchased? Thanks.

BowerPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have been wondering this too. So much of this market is one company completely copying another. The websites that sell them are not well put together and are confusing. Half the time I can tell what the cover is made out of.

I was really wanting a metal trifold so I could put weight on it but I don't see the value at $1000. Can some one point us in a direction like a decent brand or website to buy.

OP
OP
Z

zer0t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I had an Extang trifold (I guess it was vinyl) on my F150. It was really quite good, well priced and easy to install. There is a forum vendor here who's website is confusing as to whether or not it will fit with the Ram Box, if it did I would order. I sent them a note to see if it would fit.

Tonneau Factory Outlet

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont have the Rambox bed but I have used Americantrucks.com to order a few things and I've had good service from them. Although I'm not a big fan of them, amazon had a great deal on the roll up tonneau cover I'm using.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a truxedo lo pro on my power wagon with ramboxes. I liked it so much i put one on the half ton too. What i like the most is in a matter of seconds i have complete access to an open bed. Works perfect for how i use my truck.

89F042EE-D722-4CAE-87FB-5033994DB1E5.jpeg

2FFBD9A1-84A0-419B-B2DF-4C9B8499D84B.jpeg

BowerPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a truxedo lo pro on my power wagon with ramboxes. I liked it so much i put one on the half ton too. What i like the most is in a matter of seconds i have complete access to an open bed. Works perfect for how i use my truck.

View attachment 473375

View attachment 473376
Is that one of those velcro ones that role up in to second? Does it have a way to keep people from randomly opening it and does it keep out water decently? I don't expect it to be waterproof but I would like my stuff to not get completely soaked.

On another note, that rambox is almost perfectly aligned. I have had my driver's side lid replaced twice and it still looks like crap. I think it is the plastic bin itself not aligned properly but the dealer has not figured that out yet. I'm jealous!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is that one of those velcro ones that role up in to second? Does it have a way to keep people from randomly opening it and does it keep out water decently? I don't expect it to be waterproof but I would like my stuff to not get completely soaked.

On another note, that rambox is almost perfectly aligned. I have had my driver's side lid replaced twice and it still looks like crap. I think it is the plastic bin itself not aligned properly but the dealer has not figured that out yet. I'm jealous!
Yes it is a roll up cover that attaches down the sides with velcro. It rolls up against the back window and offers 100% access to the bed in seconds. When you open up the tailgate there is a little lever to release it and start rolling it up. A very small amount of water enters around the back/tailgate area. I am actually pretty sure all the water enters through the tailgate gaps only, not necessarily through any portion of the actual top.

Yes i will say i have not had any issues with my rambox lids at all. Been over 5 years so far. Aside from the somewhat poor fitment (i am very particular, and these are by no means perfectly aligned), i have not had any of the delaminating issues many other people have had with the lid covers warping or coming off. I really like the ramboxes, but would hesitate to get them again due to fitment issues. I think the 5th gens (half ton design) got a lot better, but i have not really used them before.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a truxedo lo pro on my power wagon with ramboxes. I liked it so much i put one on the half ton too. What i like the most is in a matter of seconds i have complete access to an open bed.
I'll second the Truxedo tonneau covers, my buddy had on on his '04 and it is still in great shape when he traded the truck in for his '14. He bought another one for the '14 just because it was a new truck and I'm guessing he'll buy another one when his '22 Ram shows up.

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
One other thing to consider; will the cover function with a bed rack. I've been waffling on adding a bed rack given I would have to replace my tri-fold with an expensive new cover.

BowerPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
One other thing to consider; will the cover function with a bed rack. I've been waffling on adding a bed rack given I would have to replace my tri-fold with an expensive new cover.
Thats a very specific thing to say. I don't recall op saying anything about a rack unless I missed that. I know I plan to do some sort of custom bed rack. Which is my I'm leaning towards a soft roll up one. It can do everything a trifold can but without the bulk.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I have the Mopar 4 section foldup on my 6 1/2 ft Laramie I had a 3 section foldup on my shortbed 15.
The 3 section would foldup the back two sections onto the front section and strap down so you could have 2/3's
of the bed open for use. This Mopar one has 4 foldup sections that will foldup and rest on a narrow strip in the front with some stay rods that will fit into pockets so you can have all but about 4 inches of the bed open.
This one sits in channels mounted to the bed and sits flush with the truck box, I haven't had it through a winter yet so we will see how that desighn does with snow and ice. The one on my shortbed sat on top of the bed rails and on top of the tailgate lip,
it did a better job of keeping the water out of the bed the new er one isn't bad biut it does get just a bit of water in from storms or the car wash.
The old one that sat on the rails and tailgate would freeze down on the tailgate. I keep it liberaly lubricated with a silicon spray lube and it was always easily unfrooze with a narrow bladed putty knife that I keep in the trucks door pocket for that purpose after the first time, that was on a 15 which had a small whales tail on the tailgate top which held water when snow melted. My 19 is flat on the tailgate top.

cover 1.jpg
cover 4.jpg

Snacktime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a vinyl metal tonno pro on the ram and a extang solid fold on the F150.

Both are secure and in good shape going on 4-5 years old. Biggest thing is the Solid fold is a much better insulator. Huge difference in bed temperature. I am sold on the 1/2" insolated design, keeps the bed much cooler in summer and much warmer in winter.

RacerRon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Look at the Peragon. I have one and am pleased with it so far. They only sell factory direct.

OP
OP
Z

zer0t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It looks like Peragon doesn't support Ram Box.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, we offer most brands and can offer you a great deal on just about any option. We do recommend the BAK MX4 hard tri-fold bed cover. It is one of the most popular options currently and feed back has been great.

Message me if you would like a quote on ANYTHING!

OP
OP
Z

zer0t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You I don't have a bed rack system and don't need one. I'll use tie downs when appropriate to keep stuff from sliding around. It did come with a single bed divider that I keep in a position to stick my football tailgating gear.

The first few days with this truck have been great.

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
It is great for Tailgating, I spend a lot of time at Met Life Stadium! I have found that some of the taller coolers will not allow the stock tri-fold to close and lock.