Having difficulty finding / deciding on a tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
I have a truxedo lo pro on my power wagon with ramboxes. I liked it so much i put one on the half ton too. What i like the most is in a matter of seconds i have complete access to an open bed. Works perfect for how i use my truck.

View attachment 473375

View attachment 473376
Have one of these on a 2018 RAM 1500 Big Horn, came with it (Certified Pre-Owned bought a year ago). Kinda worn in a couple of places - first owner was a contractor who treated the RAM like a company vehicle - but it's done well despite several 600 mile round trips while moving from NE Nebraska to SE Colorado. Fairly water tight except at the tailgate (we used a tarp to cover our umpteen cardboard boxes). Will prolly remove the side rails and put new gaskets on this winter. The tri-folds are intriguing but if I throw money at the RAM pickup bed it will likely be for a shell.

Dogpatch

Senior Member - Ram Nut
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a Bison Flip-back Trifold Cover. 1/2 the price of a Bakflip and better made.
BTW, the rubber in the second pic wasn’t scratched, just needed to be cleaned. New Rubber.
3149693E-6BCC-4AC6-939E-22016A31BE15.jpeg55EBF1D7-1157-449A-88DC-CFB780E4452F.jpeg

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I bought the F1 from BakFlip Tonneau Covers https://bakflip.com/p/bakflip-f1-tonneau-cover/

The fiberglass tonneau has a heavier load rating if you want to stand on it or put stuff on top and it is dent resistant. So far no issues and it cleans up real nice when I detail the truck each week. And for all you guys that brag that you don't wash your truck that's fine. My truck is my company billboard and when you're delivering Ferraris your truck better look nice.

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
Yep, my BakFlip G2 is a Four Piece hard cover that folds up against the back window or to the Third Section with a fastening. It was ranked last year among the top five covers. Had it over a year with no complaints and little water seepage. Did I mention the price was good as well.? Installation was quick and easy as well.

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lets not forget guys, the original poster is referring to a cover that fits the rambox bed.

btomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Bakflip are awesome. Had one on my last truck for 13 years until I sold it. Bought another for my new 2500 Cummins. My two sons and a friend all bought them for their trucks. No issues at all.

BradN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the Gator EFX Hard Fold.
Great quality and price.
Gator covers are made by Undercover so you basically get Undercover quality for several hundred dollars cheaper.
The one negative is that the front panel doesn't fold up, just the rear two.

Warner R Rohr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO cummins
I have a diamondback and it is my second one. Little pricey but you can throw a 1500lbs on it with no problem it is more of a batwing design. But if you want it to last it is definitely my favorite

Skid_o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my Bakflip is on its third truck. 2010, 2014 and now 2021 classic. it is beat up a bit with bumps from hail and still works great.

Tom McClellan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
love my BAK Revolver x2. In fact it is my 2nd one. Sold my 2012 Ram to my son with the old one and put one on my 2021 warlock. no cheap velcro to wear out and pretty darn weathertight.

HuckleMonster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I've got the Bak Revolver X4s and I like it. I didn't like the tri-fold covers as when they are folded open, they cover the rear window. The roll-up blocks a bit but not much.

Plus, I once saw an open tri-fold suddenly fold down while some guy was driving. Not on the freeway and the guy probably didn't secure it properly but still...0. The roll up was my choice, plus it's pretty secure. Of course if someone really wants in, not much is going to stop them.

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Had a hard cover on my last truck, soft tri fold tyger on the PW...will never go back to a hard cover

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have been wondering this too. So much of this market is one company completely copying another. The websites that sell them are not well put together and are confusing. Half the time I can tell what the cover is made out of.

I was really wanting a metal trifold so I could put weight on it but I don't see the value at $1000. Can some one point us in a direction like a decent brand or website to buy.
Well worth the money for this one.......but not cheap. https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/covers

Quigs1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75th Anniversary
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I also have a BAK Revolver X4. I have a BAKflip on my 1500. The revolver on a power wagon with a Ram Box is ideal for me as you only have to unlatch it one time and roll it forward. Since the wagon is so tall the flip requires unlocking each section and pushing it over the the next section. By the end you’re pushing all three sections up against the window. Easier in a 1500 than a 2500. The revolver just rolls up neatly and secures with a strap. I like it. It is almost impossible to touch in the super hot sun sometimes though. The nice thing is you can roll it back over the bed and if you have some mulch or uneven cargo it just lays over it. BAK makes a good quality product. I believe line-x makes identical product as well. Buddy of mine had his BAK flip replaced after an accident by an insurance company and it was a line-x cover. Looked identical.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've got the Bak Revolver X4s and I like it. I didn't like the tri-fold covers as when they are folded open, they cover the rear window. The roll-up blocks a bit but not much.

Plus, I once saw an open tri-fold suddenly fold down while some guy was driving. Not on the freeway and the guy probably didn't secure it properly but still...0. The roll up was my choice, plus it's pretty secure. Of course if someone really wants in, not much is going to stop them.

I had two Bakflips but think I'm going to go with the X4s on my new truck. Can I ask if the top surface is vinyl or another material? Any fading/cracking on yours or if you haven't had it that long, do you have any concerns? I guess I'm asking does the top surface seem durable? Thanks

Elvira

Reaction score
I have a hard cover, BakFlip, very well made...flush mount and works so nice. It was dear to buy new, but oustanding quality and worth every penny. I just recently added the BedRug also...that was also a great add-on.