Having Dual exhaust put on my 2018 Ram Power Wagon! What is the best pipe size for power and sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably dual 3” if it’s the 6.4. Sorry can’t help otherwise.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Here is my 6.4L with a single in/dual out Magnaflow muffler and dual tail pipes sounded:

I've done Magnaflow systems on my past 3 gas rigs and always loved the sound. It's got a nice quiet burble around town, mid-throttle sounds beefy and it really snarls at WOT.

Good luck with your choice.

Reactions: JB1

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To keep volume the same... you should be putting dual 2.5s on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Depends on what your goals/plans for the truck are.
Dual 2.5" pipes will support well over 700 hp. If you're planning on more than that I'd go with the 3" pipes.
If you're just after a certain sound then flowmaster muffler would be fine, if you're after performance then something like a Borla XR-1 or something like that would be more appropriate.

Magnaflow

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Lee, the best muffler option will largely depend on what you are looking for. Our Signature Straight-Through series mufflers have the deep, refined sound we have become known for, but we also offer our XL series with a chambered design for those seeking out that old-school sound. If you are upgrading just the muffler only, there will not be a noticeable difference between 2.5" and 3" inlet dia. If there are any other questions we can assist you with, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-990-0905!

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I Don't like a raspy sound! I like deep rumble with mellow tone! It can be loud too!
You will like the magnaflow exhaust. It's very deep. I could be dreaming but usually the exhaust gets louder the more miles you put on it but ots the opposite. Its quieter now but the tone has deepened. You will like it, the main reason I exclusively use magnaflow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Lee Stroud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What do you guys think about 3" pipes for Dual exhaust! Would they be an over kill! I know they sure would sound good though! Flowmaster has a kit that has 3" stainless dual pipes for $881! I don't know about Magnaflow! though! I wonder if they have 3.5 in and 2 3 inch out!

R

Rampower2012

Wold 3 in pipe be ok for a 5.7 ? Looking to do a muffler delet and whith flowmeter

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Do you wheel your truck?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
No but I plan on to whom I get it lifted
Then you’re wasting your money. Exhaust tips and pipes get in the way when you wheel. The pipes can get pinched in between the bed and an obstacle on a departure. Most Wagon wheelers remove the resonator altogether for this reason exactly. You’re not only not making the issue better, you’re making it twice as bad. IMO if you’re planning on doing any wheeling in your truck, look at a decent muffler, remove the resonator, have the exhaust dump right after the muffler and call it a day.

Octane

Reaction score
If you go too big of a pipe it can have a negative affect on power.

R

Rampower2012

You have a point on that.is the stock size of pipe of you no

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you planning to keep the y pipe or are you planning to go x pipe?

If you keep the y pipe go with a 3.5" inlet to 2-2.5" outlet muffler. Then run the dual 2.5" pipes out from there. I would go with a straight thru style muffler, not a chambered. I recommend Borla, Magnflow, or Solo. All of those will offer a nice deep tone and minimize the rasp. Which muffler will depend on how loud you want it. You will not gain much performance from this. The stock Y pipe is very restrictive as are the manifolds.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Too big of a pipe will hurt your bottom end torque and hurt fuel mileage. You need some back pressure to create torque.