Hawaii recon inspection /How much is my truck worth in a private sale?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
A big diesel truck in HI will be of little use, pain in the butt to park in economy car designed spots, and not to mention well over $4 a gallon fuel. If you have a trusted family member with a place to store it and put some miles on it occasionally, leave it in the states. Assume you are on 2-3 yr orders and will be deploying half the time you are stationed there. I would (and did) buy an older small 4 banger truck for my last tour in HI and ship it using your one free vehicle shipment. Sell it right before you depart and you’ll get all your investment back or more. Or just buy an economy rust buck to get you by.

CPTII

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Man, don’t sweat this! I was stationed in Hawaii from 2012-2016. They do a safety check for inspections. All of the things you are worried about do not apply as long as you keep your vehicle registered in your home of record. You pay your yearly registration and get the military registration form from your post/base. Then you go down to the DMV with your current registration and Hawaii safety check, pay the fee (used to be $25 but may have changed). It’s some leg work but keeps you in the green. Plus, the Hawaiians love lifted big trucks. Tone of them on the islands and their windows are so tinted it could be black paint!

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Gas prices in Hawaii ? cheaper than Cali

Take 10¢/gal off the price of gas with a free GasBuddy card!

LEARN MORE

Costco
(194 reviews)
520 Alakawa St near Dillingham Blvd
Iwilei
7h ago
user-icon.svg
Larry1014 nocar.gif

Costco
(134 reviews)
73-5600 Maiau St & Kamanu St
Kailua Kona
1h ago
user-icon.svg
elimalani redcar.gif

Costco
(162 reviews)
540 Haleakala Hwy near Dairy Rd
Kahului
11h ago
user-icon.svg
jetboy777 redcar.gif

Safeway
(140 reviews)
91-1119 Keaunui Dr & Fort Weaver Rd
Ewa Beach
14h ago
user-icon.svg
hello_moto33 purplecar.gif

NEX
(10 reviews)
Cormorant Ave near Edgewater Dr
Iroquois Point
1h ago
user-icon.svg
ras4766 greycar.gif

AAFES
(28 reviews)
BLDG 550 near Building 535
Fort Shafter
18h ago
user-icon.svg
mgpatt22 browncar.gif

NEX
(6 reviews)
409 Center St near Ormoc St
Wahiawa
23h ago
user-icon.svg
Mouge redcarspeed.gif

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are on military orders and are not changing your residency to Hawaii why bother with any of it? When I was in kept my drivers license from my home state, but was able to register and insure cars in the state I was stationed. When I got orders to California one of my friends on base had an old Monte that was not a California car so I sent the title and all back home with a power of attorney to my parents and they registered it and I insured it out of my home state. Never had to get it inspected until I drove it home (which never happened) and I did not have to submit the car for California inspection. In short, keep it registered and insured in your home state and don't worry about Hawaii registration. I would assume, as with every other state, they have have reciprocity with the other 49 states. (i.e. they accept other states driver's license to drive in their state, etc.) Unlike the civilian world, military can be stationed in another state for years, but they do not have to become citizens of that state after a set period off time.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Things have changed. I was stationed there from 2014-16 and even with keeping my Montana registration you need both an out of state Hawaii registration and inspection. It really was a pain in the ass. My truck was stock, so I didn’t have to deal with the recon inspection, but from my understanding if you’re not a local they are pretty strict.
Case in point, I bought a Super Moto while I was there which had been modified and inspected while belonging to a local. When this white boy brought it in for inspection...NO GO. I had a couple hundred dollars worth of work to do before I could get it reinspected. If you’re counting, that’s two inspections, and yes I had to pay for both of them...

Best bet for the OP, if you want to take it, is to call the recon inspection shop on the island and ask a lot of questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is absolute BullSH1t. What the hell is going on in our country today. Maybe Hawaii should become its own country if it can't accept reciprocity particularly for military. I do not understand why DoD has not done something about this. No service member should have to "lose" his legally registered vehicle in order to transfer duty stations particularly with in the US (foreign countries is a whole nother issue), and then to boot be required to pay additional money to that state as well in order to drive it......... Just more liberal BS pushing our service members around.....
PS. My wife always wanted to go to Hawaii, but I'll be damned if I'll spend a dime in a state that is putting the screws to fellow service members like Hawaii is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye