Head gasket repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Following my other thread on missing coolant, using a block tester it confirms my fears - a head gasket leak. Starting it up this morning, lots of white smoke.

What am I looking at for a head gasket job? Do I need to send the heads out to be serviced as well? Really trying to manage the cost on this repair as I can't afford a full rebuild or full top-end. I see RockAuto has head gasket kits. I'm concerned if I'm able to do this myself in my parking lot or if I need to take it to a shop or if it requires special tools from FCA. Dealership is out of the question since labor rates down here are $125-$155 per hour.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ump*

I have decided to tackle this myself. Ordering the gasket kits and I'm actually going to just swap heads. I ordered a set of "Famous Brand" (2DH8L / 2DH8R) OEM spec heads because they had a better warranty than other options. This will net me the least down-time.

In the future however... I still very much want to build up a 6.1 stroker with forged internals so I can run low (reliable) boost. Will that be this truck or another in the future? No idea... But if this engine's top-end can last another 213k miles it might be a while.

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, parts are all in. Both heads, complete gasket kit with head bolts, ARP exhaust bolts and studs, 180° thermostat, 2 gallons of coolant, oil filter, and oil.

Tomorrow I embark on this journey. Just hoping I can get it all done this weekend.

JL3100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's messy, watch your knuckles on the heads, very sharp.. I have scars to prove

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, I hit my first road block. Trying to get the main fuel line off from the fuel rail and my plastic fuel line tools are not cutting it. Checking back to the service manual I see a special tool is used:

special-fuel-line-tool.JPG

Would something like this from my local pep boys work? It's 5/16" and 3/8". I want to know before I throw in the towel and have a mobile mechanic come do the rest. Thanks!

special-fuel-line-tool-2.JPG

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I used the plastic ones. Takes some mucking with but they do work.

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So interesting turn of events. I reached out to local mechanic (Chrysler certified) for his thoughts, and to see if he could help me get the work done quicker. His line of thinking is that after getting the new heads on it may eat a rod bearing in 5-10k miles since it's already at 213k. His recommendation is to swap in a new (from Dodge) or rebuilt engine.

What's the group's consensus here? Keep in mind, very limited funds right now. I'm trying to take the most economical approach with what will keep the truck going for a while longer.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don’t forget to have your heads pressure tested. While it could be a gasket, it could also be a cracked head. Even a tiny crack that you cant see could be your issue.

Also, if your gaskets are what failed, you may want to have your heads faced. The leak could be caused by warping of the head. New gaskets would be all fine and good, but if you’re trying to put them between curvy surfaces, it would be a lot of wasted effort.

A reman would probably cost you 3-4k to put in yourself after fluids and gaskets and all the misc stuff that goes along with it. Probably 6k to have someone else do it. Its really up to you if you want to put that kind of money into a truck that’s resale isnt much anymore with 213k on it. Not to mention the tranny is probably getting long in the tooth, along with the rest of the vehicle. If it were me, id put the $500 into the head gasket repair and hope for the best.

Check for timing chain and tensioner slack while you are in there too. Would be the perfect time to replace those since the chain has to come off in the process, and its a very labor intensive replacement if you arent already doing head work.

Hope that helps. I remember doing the heads in my 03 4.7. It was a pain for sure. But if you have all the right tools and a good idea of what you’re doing, you can knock it out in about 8-12 hours or so. Good luck!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I would definitely consider doing at least a long block instead of just the heads if the motor already has 200K+ mile on it. Compare the cost of a long block vs a complete engine also. You may get a better warranty going with a complete engine might be worth spending.

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn. I'm really thinking I made the wrong choice here. I already have 2 brand new heads and a gasket kit (arrived last week) and I'm still in the disassembly phase. But at the same time, I definitely don't have the $3,000-$5,000 for a long block.

I don't drive this truck very hard and when towing I haven't gotten to even 1/5th of it's capacity. If I can get another 5 years out of it, that will let me get to a good used 4th gen.

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is how far I got before the rain rolled in. I had to go slow and take my time since nothing has been apart before and the plastic connectors are brittle.

IMG_20191220_083653.jpg
IMG_20191220_083647.jpg
IMG_20191220_083640.jpg

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spent most of yesterday getting my motorcycle sorted since it's got a bad battery. I took another stab at trying to get that fuel line off. Even with a friend helping we could not get it off. What's the trick here? I'm getting tired of cutting my knuckles on sharp edges trying to get this damn line off.

Thanks.

NitroViper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
People here dont really reply that much it seems.
Was/is the oil full of water? If not I wouldnt worry about the crank...
Why everyone is suggesting a new motor I have no clue.
How did the engine sound when it was blowing white smoke?
Id throw the heads on and put it back together and see how it runs. If it doesnt run well, or have knocking in the engine Id sell the heads and part the truck out.

Octane

Reaction score
If I needed transport on the cheap I'd do heads and hope the motor would go another 100k.And at 213k already it may very well make it if its not burning oil. Ive always fixed high mileage vehicles like this with success but there is always the risk.A buddy of mine blew the right bank headgasket on his chevy but it wasn't ran hot.He drove it a while and sold truck and years later the truck is still running on one headgasket replacement.I would have replaced both but he is cheap cheap cheap. Lol

Octane

Reaction score
That chevy also had a cracked head on that side too which he replaced with a used head.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I spent most of yesterday getting my motorcycle sorted since it's got a bad battery. I took another stab at trying to get that fuel line off. Even with a friend helping we could not get it off. What's the trick here? I'm getting tired of cutting my knuckles on sharp edges trying to get this damn line off.

Thanks.

You are using a fuel line disconnect tool correct...? Using the proper size tool, you should be able to just slip it on the line, and push it under the lip. You should feel it kind of pop once it is all the way in, and then the line should disconnect very easily. Should slide right off. Sometimes it can be a real pain to push that tool in far enough though. Just keep wiggling, turning, and pushing until you get the right formula and it works.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-37000-...ning+and+fuel+line+tool&qid=1577201246&sr=8-1

Available at Harbor Freight also. Slip the right size tool over the line and disengage the spring that holds it on and pull the line apart.

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got it! I used the removal tool and with 2 sets of pliers, applied leverage on the fuel line fitting. After I got the line off the issue was immediately visible. One of the metal tabs inside the female fitting was bent outward the wrong way. I was able to fix the tab after getting it off.

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
More - slow - progress. I only have about 45 minutes to an hour some nights so I do the best I can. Got the exhaust manifolds off and hit them with rustoleum catalyst. Also got new fuel injectors and the rails cleaned up.

IMG_20200107_190529.jpg

IMG_20200108_185337.jpg

Next, cleaning all the dirt and grime off the intake manifold, then get the rockers and pushrods off, then cleaned. Then the heads finally. Sucks when you have barely an hour a day.

IMG_20200108_185344.jpg