Headache Rack Tail-Lights wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCtruckin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put a headache rack on my '18 3500 a few years ago with tail/stop/turn lights built into it. The way I wired it in was by tapping into my fifth wheel light plug in, with an additional fifth wheel light plug in pig tail. all plug in play. Then just wired a 7 way male plug to the cab guard light wiring and just plugged in. Super clean, super easy install, no wires cut or tapped into. My problem is that the trailer lights have a slight delay. My truck being a Laramie, it has factory LED tail lights, and with the delay the cab guard lights and stock tail lights do not blink at the exact same time. I've also noticed on other Rams towing trailers with led's they dont blink at the same time either. Has anyone experienced this or noticed this? is there a way to make the trailer light circuit blink at the same time? or where can I tap into the tail/turn circuit without hacking up my wiring. Ive seen other Ram pickups with cab guards and lights that all blink at the same time. I know its possible, just cant find any info on it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I put a headache rack on my '18 3500 a few years ago with tail/stop/turn lights built into it. The way I wired it in was by tapping into my fifth wheel light plug in, with an additional fifth wheel light plug in pig tail. all plug in play. Then just wired a 7 way male plug to the cab guard light wiring and just plugged in. Super clean, super easy install, no wires cut or tapped into. My problem is that the trailer lights have a slight delay. My truck being a Laramie, it has factory LED tail lights, and with the delay the cab guard lights and stock tail lights do not blink at the exact same time. I've also noticed on other Rams towing trailers with led's they dont blink at the same time either. Has anyone experienced this or noticed this? is there a way to make the trailer light circuit blink at the same time? or where can I tap into the tail/turn circuit without hacking up my wiring. Ive seen other Ram pickups with cab guards and lights that all blink at the same time. I know its possible, just cant find any info on it.
If they are all LED then the problem is likely a separate blinker chip on the accessory lights controlling the speed. No good way to correct that without bypassing the third party "blinker" and using the trucks blinker wire directly connected.

If it's a mix of LED and incandescent, they are likely being energized at the same time without another "blinker" controller in the mix but the response time of LEDs appears to be immediate on/off while incandescents have more of a fade on/off. The two will likely never sync in a consistent way.