Headers and Tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSingleCab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

So I got my Ram ('19 Tradesman RCSB Hemi) back in January. So far the only modifications I've done are a Flowmaster FlowFX muffler and rear 2" lowering springs. I'm looking to do some more performance mods down the road, and I wanted to see what folks here have had good luck with.

My initial thought for the next step is to throw a set of good headers on 'er. The BBK shorties seem to be popular and lots of reviews note a noticeable change in low-end torque. No-tune required is a plus sense i'm still under factory warranty. Kooks long-tubes are also enticing to me and I know there are different diameters, one requiring tuning and one not. If anybody has any experience with any of these, let me know if it's worth it. Really curious about the shorties and no-tune long tunes.

Not opposed to tuning at all, would just rather wait till warranty is up at the end of the year to do so. Diablosport seems to be the mainstay, but let me know if there's better options. Would love the extra horses and better shift points.

Thanks in advance.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey guys,

So I got my Ram ('19 Tradesman RCSB Hemi) back in January. So far the only modifications I've done are a Flowmaster FlowFX muffler and rear 2" lowering springs. I'm looking to do some more performance mods down the road, and I wanted to see what folks here have had good luck with.

My initial thought for the next step is to throw a set of good headers on 'er. The BBK shorties seem to be popular and lots of reviews note a noticeable change in low-end torque. No-tune required is a plus sense i'm still under factory warranty. Kooks long-tubes are also enticing to me and I know there are different diameters, one requiring tuning and one not. If anybody has any experience with any of these, let me know if it's worth it. Really curious about the shorties and no-tune long tunes.

Not opposed to tuning at all, would just rather wait till warranty is up at the end of the year to do so. Diablosport seems to be the mainstay, but let me know if there's better options. Would love the extra horses and better shift points.

Thanks in advance.

You got that wrong,shorties don't increase torque,long tubes do. The shorter the primary tube,the higher the powerband moves up in the rpm scale.Same principle as an intake manifold,long runners increase torque down low,and short runners increase power up top,that's why the trucks have a variable length runner intake manifold. Long tubes will increase your bottom end grunt,and usually out pull a set of shorties through the top end to.

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You got that wrong,shorties don't increase torque,long tubes do. The shorter the primary tube,the higher the powerband moves up in the rpm scale.Same principle as an intake manifold,long runners increase torque down low,and short runners increase power up top,that's why the trucks have a variable length runner intake manifold. Long tubes will increase your bottom end grunt,and usually out pull a set of shorties through the top end to.

Wild One, if going with long tubes and a catted Y (such as these: https://www.americantrucks.com/amer...headers-catted-ypipe-1318-57l-ram-1500-w.html)

Is a new intake manifold or anything intake related needed to balance?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wild One, if going with long tubes and a catted Y (such as these: https://www.americantrucks.com/amer...headers-catted-ypipe-1318-57l-ram-1500-w.html)

Is a new intake manifold or anything intake related needed to balance?

No.But the hot mod these days is to swap on the 6.4 BGE HD truck intake,but for the gains it's hard to justify,unless you're looking for every last bit of power.To utilize the 6.4 intake,you need an airbox for the 2500's,and one of Takayami Sams extension harness's for the short runner valve (SRV), plus if you decide to use the stock 6.4 injectors,the truck will need tuning,you can get away with the stock 5.7 injectors,if you buy spacers for them. The truck 6.4 intake is a nice compliment to a set of long tubes,but is it needed "no".

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No.But the hot mod these days is to swap on the 6.4 BGE HD truck intake,but for the gains it's hard to justify,unless you're looking for every last bit of power.To utilize the 6.4 intake,you need an airbox for the 2500's,and one of Takayami Sams extension harness's for the short runner valve (SRV), plus if you decide to use the stock 6.4 injectors,the truck will need tuning,you can get away with the stock 5.7 injectors,if you buy spacers for them. The truck 6.4 intake is a nice compliment to a set of long tubes,but is it needed "no".

As always, thank you! Back to the OPs original topic.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would stay away from BBK, I recommend AFE and Kooks. They are some other options that are decent too but these 2 brands have been a solid choice. Is your RAM a new body style or Classic?

Long tubes will get you the most power and will be a noticeable difference in gains even to shorties. ARH and Stainless Works are the 2 best options. Kooks is a good option as well just not as good as ARH and SW.

Let us know if we can offer a quote on anything. Just send me a message with what ever you are looking for

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disregard, wrong thread, Busch league over here.

Last edited: