Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Some of you guys need to spend 15 minutes and read this article.There seems to be alot of mis-information on here regarding Shorty and Long tube headers,and which ones actually generate bottem end torque.Little tidbit,it's not shorties

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny how long tubes make better low end as well as carry power through the rpm range better for NA and blower builds. I know Turbo is a whole different animal. The first part is somewhat sarcasm because how many people try to say shorties are the best

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It makes intuitive sense though, from a physics standpoint.

The longer the exhaust tube extends from each cylinder, the less backpressure and faster the exhaust gas velocity is, improving scavenging and air ingestion. Top fuel race engines don't collect at all.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I choose shorties because that's what I have so therefore I am obligated to arguing that they are the better option for every circumstance.

(//sarcasm)
Shorties aren’t bad. Honestly they are a very convenient option and cost effective for someone not looking to spend a fortune and don’t care about getting every single HP possible out if the engine.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
After helping a buddy put a set of JBA Shorties on his truck,i swore up and down never again,lol.I'd rather install 2 sets of long tubes and corresponding midpipe on a truck,then 1 set of shorties,and try to get the shorties to seal up to the factory pipes.We tried damn near every trick i had to get the shorties to seal to the factory pipes,but nothing would last more then a month,after 6 months of living with the leak,he finally sprung for a set of JBA long tubes and their catless midpipes,(back when you could still get JBA's and their midpipe,a few years ago),and even with-out tuning he was blown away with how much more tire spinning torque he had compared to the shorties.We bypassed the rear 02 issues by running a stacked set of old school anti-foulers under the back 02's

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Whatever gave you that idea? We're not Kommiefornia here "yet",lol

I heard that the US govt was cracking down on this kind of thing. I don't follow it all that extensively, I'd like to replace my manifolds with either shortys or long tubes once they inevitably brake a bolt. Even the article mentions shortys are legal so hence my question.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I heard that the US govt was cracking down on this kind of thing. I don't follow it all that extensively, I'd like to replace my manifolds with either shortys or long tubes once they inevitably brake a bolt. Even the article mentions shortys are legal so hence my question.
Some of the States do have emission testing,but as far as i know,no province is still doing emission testing here anymore.BC's lower mainland and parts of Ontario used to do testing,but last i heard they weren't doing that anymore

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The US government is deciding that any modified vehicle is illegal. If it has a vin number and license plate then you cannot modify it. My wife’s rav 4 we bought had a non modification waiver in the purchase agreement to say we will not modify the emissions system or any engine components. Crazy. Not sure if they are going to retro that for older vehicles too because i didn’t have one for my truck.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, like in Minnesota it's illegal and not enforced. No inspection, no testing.

You have to sign a certificate testifying you didn't change any EPA controlled component when you sell. But they don't inspect @ the DMV office. If the buyer doesn't care, it's fine.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You can get Headers and high flow cats and that pass emissions.
So far anyway.

Not that I've seen. The high flow cats are not EPA or CARB certifiable. Don't recall the vendor - there is a sole vendor for 6.4L Hemi trucks. I thoroughly checked that out before deciding not to go through with it.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
It makes intuitive sense though, from a physics standpoint.

The longer the exhaust tube extends from each cylinder, the less backpressure and faster the exhaust gas velocity is, improving scavenging and air ingestion. Top fuel race engines don't collect at all.
They don't collect bc they are WOT for the 3sec they run and scavenging is a low/mid RPM thing.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
After helping a buddy put a set of JBA Shorties on his truck,i swore up and down never again,lol.I'd rather install 2 sets of long tubes and corresponding midpipe on a truck,then 1 set of shorties,and try to get the shorties to seal up to the factory pipes.We tried damn near every trick i had to get the shorties to seal to the factory pipes,but nothing would last more then a month,after 6 months of living with the leak,he finally sprung for a set of JBA long tubes and their catless midpipes,(back when you could still get JBA's and their midpipe,a few years ago),and even with-out tuning he was blown away with how much more tire spinning torque he had compared to the shorties.We bypassed the rear 02 issues by running a stacked set of old school anti-foulers under the back 02's
Same experience with my ebay powergo shorties. I did figure out how to seal at the collector though! I used permatex exhaust sealant which is a paste that hardens like a rock after its heated for 10 min from the exhaust.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regardless of power I think the shorties are juat more convenient than long tubes. Nothing extra is really needed to install the shorties. I may even install them before I have a manifold crack or bolts break
The offset is the pain to install is higher with the shorties, it's not fun.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plato45