Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So, does anybody make proper long tube headers for the 6.4?
Yes - American Racing Headers (ARH). Again - be informed they are illegal for street use, even with cats.

If your state doesn't care or test or document, then you can use.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The offset is the pain to install is higher with the shorties, it's not fun.
Ok but there's still less parts to buy therfore it's still cheaper. I've done them with a buddy of mine on his truck. The equal length twisted pipes make it a little bit of a pain but it's still not crazy

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Same experience with my ebay powergo shorties. I did figure out how to seal at the collector though! I used permatex exhaust sealant which is a paste that hardens like a rock after its heated for 10 min from the exhaust.
Did you use the sealant or the putty? I still need to try to seal up my collectors at some point.

daCelt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back in 2015, when I had 3 broken exh manifold bolts, I got a quote from the dealer for $1100. I decided to look for headers and do the job myself. Believe it or not, I lucked out and found a set of BBK (4014) shorties on Amazon for $68. I thought it was a misprint but they showed up never installed. They were an "open box" but all the parts showed up so I did the job of pulling the busted exh bolts and hanging the headers. While I was down there, I also installed a Mufflex drop-in replacement muffler (DOD14M) that was labeled as "aggressive." I can't say what of the exhaust tone was attributed to the headers or the muffler but it worked out and cheap too! (other than the 12hrs it took to get 3 broken bolts out!)

Oh, all this to say, after that time, I went through emissions testing for 5 years in TN (cats are still on) and never had any trouble passing.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I heard that the US govt was cracking down on this kind of thing. I don't follow it all that extensively, I'd like to replace my manifolds with either shortys or long tubes once they inevitably brake a bolt. Even the article mentions shortys are legal so hence my question.
Keep in mind that the article is dated 2021. Things can change.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 83728 miles

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My JBA shorty's were a real PITA to install on the drivers side!
The passenger side, not so much. Only really had to lift up and relocate the coolant bypass hoses out of the way of the shorty's to ensure no rubbing and melting...lol
As for sealing up; took the advice of a gifted MOPAR tech I know that specializes in heavy performance upgrades for all makes and models of MOPAR's...
"get top quality orange RTV and lay thick, heavy beads of it on the collectors where the cats bolt up to the shorty headers so it oozes out".
He said if this is done right and let to set and harden with a hoist warm in process... there shouldn't be leaks.
I've put almost 8,000km's on my new headers, and quiet as a church mouse, in terms of no exhaust leaks.
Now, at WOT with my current set up, including a FastMan TB and good RL 5W30 oil.... she howl's like a happy & healthy HEMI should "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, Don't Fail Us Now"!

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My JBA shorty's were a real PITA to install on the drivers side!
The passenger side, not so much. Only really had to lift up and relocate the coolant bypass hoses out of the way of the shorty's to ensure no rubbing and melting...lol
As for sealing up; took the advice of a gifted MOPAR tech I know that specializes in heavy performance upgrades for all makes and models of MOPAR's...
"get top quality orange RTV and lay thick, heavy beads of it on the collectors where the cats bolt up to the shorty headers so it oozes out".
He said if this is done right and let to set and harden with a hoist warm in process... there shouldn't be leaks.
I've put almost 8,000km's on my new headers, and quiet as a church mouse, in terms of no exhaust leaks.
Now, at WOT with my current set up, including a FastMan TB and good RL 5W30 oil.... she howl's like a happy & healthy HEMI should "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, Don't Fail Us Now"!
Same way i did my JBA shorties ,rimflex gaskets and copper rtv at the collectors and no leaks.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Same way i did my JBA shorties ,rimflex gaskets and copper rtv at the collectors and no leaks.
I tried the orange RTV and it turned to powder and didn't seal. The orange stuff isn't rated to much more than 700*F intermittent or 500*F continuous. The exhaust especially before the CATs will get a good bit hotter than that constant.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great article @Wild one

I would love to get longtubes, but I wouldn't pass the good ol Peoples Republic of MA emissions test. They have cameras in the bays so you can't get away with anything anymore. If they see long tubes on the cameras its an instant instant fail.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad I live in Ontario Canada! Police pulled me over one time to check out my rock lights. Gave him a full review of my truck. He just checked if I had the rock lights tucked under the front Rad support bracket and if my 2 light bars (don’t have the big one now) was on the same switch. Told him the truck was 2.5” true dual, catless, dual magnaflow glasspacks, long tubes, stage 2 TSP cam out 5” tips. Looked at me and said “let’s hear it”. Tapped the gas a few times for him. He said “sweet” and told Me to have a great evening.
For parts, I wish I lived in the states!

Reno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a set of ARH long tubes in the cart from Moe’s for $1749, shipped. I’ve been going back and forth for weeks now on pulling the trigger or going with shorties for much cheaper. I’d like to tune and cam the truck in the future, so leaning hard on the long tubes. Moe’s seems to have the best price unless y’all know a guy that knows a guy!?

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
^^^^Is that price for the long tube headers with cats? I’m also ready to pull the trigger on the ARH long tube headers with cats, I was quoted $1925 , that’s why I’m asking.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd be very careful using any RTV upstream of the converters. It it melts or breaks up it may clog the cats

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd be very careful using any RTV upstream of the converters. It it melts or breaks up it may clog the cats
Fair enough, and sage advice.
I used the Permatex Ultra Copper at the collectors and have had zero issues in several thousand KM's of driving.
No exhaust leaks, no exhaust issues, no lights on the dash.