Headlamp dial 2022 Ram 1500 Classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamCanada67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How do you turn the lights completely off on a 2022 Classic (Canadian version)? When its running with transmission in Park and its dark out. As you can see in the photo, the off position is no longer an available option on the Canadian 2022 Classic. I know it's because Canada enacted daytime running lights legislation in 2021. However, there must be a way to turn them completely off with the engine running and transmission in Park? Or maybe not.

The owners manual says in order to turn the lights off, the switch must be rotated to the auto position. However, when you select the auto position and it's dark outside, all the lights including headlights come on. If you select the parking lights position, the marker lights and tail lights come on. And of course, when you select headlights, all lights come on. I tried applying the parking brake thinking that might turn the lights off but nope.

How are you supposed to run your AC or heat at a drivein? Or hide from the bad guys? Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230418_104059_Drive~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230418_104059_Drive~2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 8

wwest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do not think it is just Canada. I have a 2022 2500 Long Horn in the USA that I can no longer sneak up to my hunting area with the lights off.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The rimmed running lights cannot be turned off by the dealer. I tried to get them to disable them, and all I can do is turn off the DRL option but he said the rimmed lights are embedded in the BCM and stay on.

Now, someone who has alphaOBD needs to chime in about whether or not you can get access and turn the lights off.

As far as the lights being totally off, on LEO vehicles, there is a switch put in that allows all the lighting to be turned off. But that is an option that has to be ordered by the Municipal/County/State agency when they buy/order the equipped vehicles.

OP
OP
RamCanada67

RamCanada67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
"and all I can do is turn off the DRL option"

That option isn't available in the Uconnect settings on Canadian models.

OP
OP
RamCanada67

RamCanada67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I thought about ordering a headlamp switch that has the off button and swapping it out. Not sure if that's legal or if the dealership would even do it. And it probably voids the warranty? And there's probably way more to it than just switching out the part. The whole truck would probably have to be reprogrammed!!!

Bill_Clinton69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l HEMI
I thought about ordering a headlamp switch that has the off button and swapping it out. Not sure if that's legal or if the dealership would even do it. And it probably voids the warranty? And there's probably way more to it than just switching out the part. The whole truck would probably have to be reprogrammed!!!
That may work. You may also need to get AlfaOBD and change your country code from Canada to USA and change your DRL options from Canada to optional or no DRL. If you want to keep the DRLs, I'd highly recommend changing them to the fog lights.

To change configuration options with AlfaOBD, you'd need an Android smartphone or tablet and a bluetooth or USB OBD reader that can send data. I personally have the OBDLinkMX+. For 2018+, you'd need a security bypass cable. There are plenty of videos on the security bypass cables on Youtube. Make sure AlfaOBD recognizes your adapter . To change the country code, you'd need to open AlfaOBD, select Dodge/RAM, pick the RAM 1500 (DS/DX/DT) from the first drop down, select body computer from the second drop down, and select body computer DT MY2022 PowerNet. Hit connect to connect to that computer. Then tap the Fiat in the corner with the hood open and tap the select procedure drop down and select "car configuration change". Select VehConfig 1: Country code and tap USA in the drop down. Afterwards, hit start. Give it some time (about 5 minutes) before doing any other BCM changes. To change DRL options, go back to the drop down in the car configuration change list and type "DRL" in the searchbox. "ECUConfig 3: DRL Customer Setting Option Present" should give the option to enable/disable the DRL in the radio, "CBC Features DRL Configuration" allows you to set no DRL, Canada DRL, optional DRL, or EU DRL, "CBC Features DRL lamp location" lets you change the bulb, and "CBC features DRL Dropout enabled" turns off one side DRL with your turn signals.

I personally have my truck set to the optional DRL with the fog lights as the lamp location. The fog lights come on when the truck is in reverse, neutral, or drive with the parking brake released. They stay on until the truck is put in park, parking brake is engaged, or the headlights are turned on.