Headlight blink/flicker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigTex13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a 2015 1500 and the headlights will occasionally blink/flicker regardless of 'On /Auto' setting on the headlight ***. I have changed bulbs (stock halogen to silver star halogen), put in a new battery after previous battery died, no codes, and dealer looked at it stating that everything was within correct parameters (per TSB) and they couldnt find any issues nor could they replicate the blink/flicker.

I know the 2015's are picky, but was hoping for some advice on potential resolution. I had tried Morimoto headlight assemblies, but they would randomly turn off while driving, even with a canbus resistor, which I am guessing has to do with the headlight flicker. I do not have AlphaOBD, but I am highly considering getting one.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 1500 and the headlights will occasionally blink/flicker regardless of 'On /Auto' setting on the headlight ***. I have changed bulbs (stock halogen to silver star halogen), put in a new battery after previous battery died, no codes, and dealer looked at it stating that everything was within correct parameters (per TSB) and they couldnt find any issues nor could they replicate the blink/flicker.

I know the 2015's are picky, but was hoping for some advice on potential resolution. I had tried Morimoto headlight assemblies, but they would randomly turn off while driving, even with a canbus resistor, which I am guessing has to do with the headlight flicker. I do not have AlphaOBD, but I am highly considering getting one.
That seems to be a common quirk with the 2015s, mine did it too after I swapped over to Diode Dynamics HIDs. Never was able to correct it though. Had the exact same setup on my 2017 Ram and no issues; go figure.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grab & shake the main connector at the headlight. If the bulb flickers that's your problem. I used a jumper wire across the connector on the ground wire and it fixed it.

OP
OP
BigTex13

BigTex13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Grab & shake the main connector at the headlight. If the bulb flickers that's your problem. I used a jumper wire across the connector on the ground wire and it fixed it.
I have done that as did the dealer and there was no blink/flicker. The harnesses are good. Unable to reproduce by hitting bumps, shaking the housing, and shaking wiring.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Just because it's free & takes one minute, open the fuse box & push down on all the fuses & relays.
They tend to 'walk' up in their slots over time, a known quirk with Rams.

OP
OP
BigTex13

BigTex13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just because it's free & takes one minute, open the fuse box & push down on all the fuses & relays.
They tend to 'walk' up in their slots over time, a known quirk with Rams.
Thanks I'll check it out. Fingers crossed

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Does your truck have foglights? Are you sure the blink/flicker isn't due to the fog lights bouncing as you drive down the road? Seeing as how you're running halogen bulbs, you should not notice any issues related to the canbus system. If you're sure you're seeing a flicker from the headlights, I'd assume it's a connection issue. You didn't say which headlights you have (quads or projectors). Check the harnesses inside as well as the main connectors outside the housing.

OP
OP
BigTex13

BigTex13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Does your truck have foglights? Are you sure the blink/flicker isn't due to the fog lights bouncing as you drive down the road? Seeing as how you're running halogen bulbs, you should not notice any issues related to the canbus system. If you're sure you're seeing a flicker from the headlights, I'd assume it's a connection issue. You didn't say which headlights you have (quads or projectors). Check the harnesses inside as well as the main connectors outside the housing.
I have the quad headlights. I do have fog lights, but I don't always have them on when I drive which is how I know it is the headlights and not the fog lights bouncing. I as well as the dealer have checked the harnesses and connections and haven't found any issues. I have been unable to recreate the issue on purpose by moving harnesses, shaking the housing, driving over bumps, and it happens in Auto and in the On position of the headlight switch.