headlight lens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
my passenger side head light is getting condensation in it, i need to remove the lense wipe clean and re seal, can i use a heat gun or do i have to bake in the oven, if so, what temp?

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The time I saw JJ open headlights, he used the oven to heat them up and crack them open, then used a heat gun to remove the seal so new sealant could be put on. Not 100% sure what the temp was, thinking it was around 200. He'll chime in with the details. :)

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would be very careful doing this. I had a set of lights custom done by JJ with projectors for my 07 ram. Long story short, one of the lights got water in it and i was very upset about it. Took the light off and was turnin it every direction to try and drain the water out of the parking light hole. A bead of water ended up running right down the center of the lens, right in front of the projector and left some nice water spots on the inside of the lens!!! Emailed Jeremy about it and asked about tearing the light open to clean the water spots off, he highly advised not to and said it would most likely just make it worse. Apparently the inside of the lenses are extremely sensitive for scratching. Said he tried just a microfiber rag and some water once on the inside and it scratched the **** out of it. Ended up sealing my light up and all is good now, can't even notice the water spots really (well, i can of course), oh well. Just a warning, be very careful with what u use to clean it, would hate to see u go through the hassle ripping the light apart and then find out it looks 10x worse than before. I still would like to pull mine open and clean those spots off, but with the custom painted bezels and all, i don't want to risk ruining the nice paint job on them

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
yeah, don't take them apart. The clear coat on the lens is ONLY on the front of the lens, inside is crazy. I have played with a few lights - tried a few things on the insides....they all made it look horrible.

Best bet, take them off of the truck, set them next to a dehumidifier or your AC/Heat vent and let them dry out. Run a bead of silicone around where the lens meets up with the housing. Also, check the fitment of your turn signal bulb - I have seen water get in from there too.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
yea that would really suck to scratch the inside of the lens.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I've done it a lot. :D on **** lenses......

Hell.....you should see the broken light that got on my bad side yesterday. it has a couple holes in it now, and I was testing my new hotknife on it for a bit too. :D

Brianbaker817

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Flex
I’m looking at getting some replacement lenses for not wanting to go through amazon for BS aftermarket assemblies. Tried once and didn’t like results. What is the sealant used and is that what softens once the assemblies are cooked, so to speak? I seriously cannot afford OEM.