Headlights too weak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George Airday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Even brights seem dim. Any aftermarket solution for weak headlamp illumination? One year use of 2019 Big Horn. Cannot get used to underpowered lights

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
It appears that the good LED lights only come on the Longhorn and Limited trucks which come only in crew cab versions and so add $9,000 to price of the truck.

Another source for LED lamps to also consider

https://headlightrevolution.com/2019-ram-high-beam-led-headlight-bulbs-v-4/

The newer trucks have terrible lights and are so bad that the trucks get a lower safety rating as a result. I was hoping that Ram would fix the problem for the 2020 trucks but the Ram brass decided not to bother.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I put these in my Big Horn. They work great and were cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJN49LJ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_29AnEb1JPEC5J

Nice crisp cut off and plenty of light forward.

View attachment 193759

View attachment 193761

New forum member here, because I just became a new Ram owner, so far so good, coming from GM pickups since 1991.

I also have a Bighorn, and want to update the halogen to LED. I have a question from you if this is plug and play, without any addl. harness needed, etc. Amazon says it is not compatible.
Also is this one too bright, as in are you getting flashed, I don't want a flame thrower, I have updated bulbs in the past so have experience. What about high beam, that is a 9005, I may do both.
Thanks for any help here, I want to do this right the first time.

Last edited:

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I have decided to keep it simple, upon reading, just adding an LED can be iffy, so I am
going to just use a higher performance Halogen bulb, the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra, has a
lot more lumens, still DOT legal, and cheap to change over to.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
10C04734-9EF8-4743-A884-0C7691423206.jpeg
It appears that the good LED lights only come on the Longhorn and Limited trucks which come only in crew cab versions and so add $9,000 to price of the truck.

Another source for LED lamps to also consider

https://headlightrevolution.com/2019-ram-high-beam-led-headlight-bulbs-v-4/

The newer trucks have terrible lights and are so bad that the trucks get a lower safety rating as a result. I was hoping that Ram would fix the problem for the 2020 trucks but the Ram brass decided not to bother.

Not quite. The Factory LED package is available from the Bighorn on up. It’s called the premium lighting package available as an option on Bighorns and becomes standard on Laramies and up from there. I think the Longhorns and Limiteds have an even better and slightly different shaped LED assembly.
My 2019 Bighorn (pictured above, new) has the premium lighting package that comes with factory LED headlights, fog lights and taillights and they illuminate the road better than any vehicle I’ve ever owned.
I’m assuming the OP has the standard halogen lights on his truck? If so then yes I’d be right there with him in upgrading to LEDs.
In fact maybe you might be able to swap in the factory LED light assembly into a standard halogen assembly and switch on the LED function through Alfa OBD?

Last edited:

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
View attachment 215986

Not quite. The Factory LED package is available from the Bighorn on up. It’s called the premium lighting package available as an option on Bighorns and becomes standard on Laramies and up from there. I think the Longhorns and Limiteds have an even better and slightly different shaped LED assembly.
My 2019 Bighorn (pictured above, new) has the premium lighting package that comes with factory LED headlights, fog lights and taillights and they illuminate the road better than any vehicle I’ve ever owned.
I’m assuming the OP has the standard halogen lights on his truck? If so then yes I’d be right there with him in upgrading to LEDs.
In fact maybe you might be able to swap in the factory LED light assembly into a standard halogen assembly and switch on the LED function through Alfa OBD?

That is not going to work, the housing and reflector is different and so is the wiring, lots of issues with
trying to go LED's.

The factory LED's are much different, converting is a challenge.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
sorry about that kickboxer, I thought the housings were the same.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This is why I advise people to upgrade to the premium LED lighting if they're looking at big horns. I love the LED's on my Laramie. Coming from a 2017 Rebel which had halogen projectors, the difference is shall we say...night and day.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
View attachment 215986

Yup, there are three headlight assemblies for the 1/2 ton Rams.
  • Halogen - Standard on Tradesman and Bighorn
  • LED Reflector - Available on Bighorn, standard on Laramie and Rebel
  • LED Projector - Standard on Longhorn and Limited
I know its not a cheap option, but I'd also definitely recommend anyone upgrade to the LED headlamps option if buying a Bighorn.

For those that didn't and already own their trucks: swap out the bulbs for LED or HID (not the best option, as it can be done wrongly and blind other drivers, but definitely the cheapest), or purchase one of the aftermarket headlamp assemblies. I believe there are one or two companies that make them.

macr88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I’m looking at a 3500 bighorn chassis cab and although I’m not a fan of the daytime running lights on the LED’s, I do not want dim lights. My Colorado has dim lights and it’s terrible when the roads are wet.

has anyone compared the led reflectors to the halogen reflectors?

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
has anyone compared the led reflectors to the halogen reflectors?

They have in other forums I'm a part of. The LED reflectors are way better, hands down. Many say they're among the best headlights they've ever had in a truck.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the LED reflectors on my 2020 Laramie, and they work much better than the halogen projectors that were on my 2017 Rebel. No comparison really. I'm very happy with these lights.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
The IIHS graphs show both the LED and Halogen Big Horn options as marginal.

If you drive straight or turn left a lot stay halogen, but if your always turning to the right go LED?

IIHSbighorn.png

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks!

I take it you guys aren't seeing any failures within a couple years or so? May have to give these a shot.
I haven't had my Ram long enough to ascertain that result. But, I drive it every morning for an hour in pre-dawn conditions. And I run the daytime running lights with them also.