Headliner turning loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RegWal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just found this site. Hope someone can help. Material covering headliner for my 99 1500 is turning loose next to windshield. I imagine heat and age to be the culprit. Has anyone experienced this and what is was your solution? I have been thinking to use spray glue, spray behind and then pull onto place but unsure if that would cause bigger problem or not.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Once it starts to come loose that indicates the adhesive on the back side has failed.

You can tack it back in place with a light spray adhesive but be careful. Too much will leave it looking flatter in that area than the rest of it.

Since it's started to fail, I suspect you'll be chasing this as more of the OEM adhesive fails. You may be ahead of the game if you remove it and replace it with a new liner.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I’ve found from personal experience that when the fabric starts to separate, you can use a very light layer of spray adhesive, I say light layer because if you use too much it will bleed through and like maddog said it will flatten in that particular area and you will be chasing it till it’s completely ruined. Better off replacing but if that’s not an option for you, the spray will work for now but be careful on how it’s applied. Gl.

And :welcome:to the forum, some really intelligent people here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RegWal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys, I found fabric at local WalMart. Will know tomorrow if the spray adhesive I bought will work. I just replaced the dash and I'm wondering what will happen next. I bought this truck new and have less than 100,000 on it so at my age it is my last one. I just learned tonight my tail lights are out along with inst. lights. I knew the inst. lights were out but not tail lights. I do have brake lights though so daytime driving is OK right now.

OP
OP
R

RegWal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used the spray adhesive purchased at WalMart. Glad I test sprayed first because I learned it doesn't take much. Both spots where the liner meets windshield were lightly sprayed and back in place. So far so good. Man is that stuff stickie!

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
my 2016 is doing the same thing. I'm not really interested in a new liner, but if I was, is there a source for that?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
my 2016 is doing the same thing. I'm not really interested in a new liner, but if I was, is there a source for that?
guess you are past 36,000 miles?

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
no- 25K miles.

Alien Spyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8

Great question!

The head liner in the 1997 1500 I'm about to buy is draping down and sagging all over the place. Something is going to have to be done. I suspect it'll be high on my "to do" list.

There's got to be a fairly good solution to get the headliner sufficiently back in place or buy one and replace it myself.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Great question!

The head liner in the 1997 1500 I'm about to buy is draping down and sagging all over the place. Something is going to have to be done. I suspect it'll be high on my "to do" list.

There's got to be a fairly good solution to get the headliner sufficiently back in place or buy one and replace it myself.

LMC Truck sells new headliners. They aren’t cheap $389 for a 1997 model.
You can buy headliner fabric and adhesive on some sites and recover your headliner yourself.
You can recover visors, too, or buy a pair of new ones (LMC) for $109.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

multimopes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2000 just started to separate the other day. It's not the glue that fails. it's the sponge material dries out and falls apart. I have replaced quite a few in various vehicles over the years. Take the whole ceiling piece down and peal the rest of the fabric off and try to scuff the residual sponge crap off. You can get replacement material at any upholstery shop. I would use what ever glue they recommend. Stick the material on and trim to fit, then re-install. It's not difficult.
Funny story form the days of yesteryear: I got a well used Dodge Shadow that had the same problem. The car had a gold interior. When the ceiling started to separate, I started to pull the fabric down and noted the roof headliner was molded fiberglass that was almost the same color as the material. I ripped all the material off and gently scraped the residual sponge stuff off of the shell with a somewhat stiff brush and after vacuuming up the mess, it looked almost new! No one ever said anything about it's appearance and it didn't cost me a penny! :D