Heads Up Display?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
HUD would be a no for me, useless distraction. Same with the idea of a Tesla style radio. They are way too big and don't flow with the dash, I find they look out of place in a truck. Personally really hate the look of the 12" in the ram, it looks so out of place.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dogpatch

Senior Member - Ram Nut
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I first drove my Limited with the 12” screen, I thought the same...Too Much!
Especially after just getting out of my 3500 Laramie with an 8.4 screen and into a test drive of the Limited.

But you know what? It grows on you. And quickly.
Once you get used to it of course. Pretty easy to navigate through it and I now like the option of splitting the screen into 2 different full function screens.

Stump jumper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anybody know Where I can get an after market Hud that will work on a 2004 1500? None that I have found will work on a 2004 even thougj its got an obd II connection.
Thanks

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Does anybody know Where I can get an after market Hud that will work on a 2004 1500? None that I have found will work on a 2004 even thougj its got an obd II connection.
Thanks

This is a 5th Gen (2019+) forum. I'd suggest posting this in the 3rd Gen forum.

Just an interesting nugget - there are some people NOT EVEN BORN in 2004 who are currently (legally) driving 5th Gens...

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
For 2021 the heads-up display is a $1,095 option and available with every model I have looked at. I cannot see the value of the heads-up display as all I care about monitoring when driving is my speed.

I greatly prefer having a separate GPS Nav display above the dash and so in my pickups I use a Garmin RV 760 with its 7" display and use a suction cup mount so the display sits right above the dash and at the far left side of the windshield. I can check my true speed and the speed limit where I am driving as well as get route directions and have my eyes of the road for a third the time it takes with a display in the center of the dash.

The Garmin also has routing based on the length of the vehicle and whether there is a trailer in tow. Works much better than the factory nav systems if one is towing a trailer.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
When I first drove my Limited with the 12” screen, I thought the same...Too Much!
Especially after just getting out of my 3500 Laramie with an 8.4 screen and into a test drive of the Limited.

But you know what? It grows on you. And quickly.
Once you get used to it of course. Pretty easy to navigate through it and I now like the option of splitting the screen into 2 different full function screens.

That's what I've found. The 12inch gets easier to use.

KlatuBaradaNikto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For 2021 the heads-up display is a $1,095 option and available with every model I have looked at. I cannot see the value of the heads-up display as all I care about monitoring when driving is my speed.

I greatly prefer having a separate GPS Nav display above the dash and so in my pickups I use a Garmin RV 760 with its 7" display and use a suction cup mount so the display sits right above the dash and at the far left side of the windshield. I can check my true speed and the speed limit where I am driving as well as get route directions and have my eyes of the road for a third the time it takes with a display in the center of the dash.

The Garmin also has routing based on the length of the vehicle and whether there is a trailer in tow. Works much better than the factory nav systems if one is towing a trailer.
The HUD is not a stand- alone option. Once you add it, it also adds another package including the 12” display costing big$.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

If you don't want it, the beauty is you don't have to get it. For those of us who do want it, we can now get it. Every one should be happy. I wasn't sold on a hud until I actually used one in a rental car. I was instantly sold, especially when I'm driving in unfamiliar areas.

I used to use a TomTom, and it was adequate. But the hud display is in a much better spot for viewing without taking your eyes off the road. I'm not here to change your mind. I'm just wondering why you seem set to try to convince other people that it's not worth paying for. Sure, you have to include a package if you want the hud, but most people already do that. I'd guess you're in the minority if you don't. But again, it's great that we all have the choices we have. Otherwise you might as well go live in a communist country where all the cars are the same, and you are told what your vehicle will be equipped with.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does any CarPlay or Android Auto data get included in the HUD? Or is the just the built-in NAV guidance that shows up?
Much to my dismay, no. Only factory UConnect stuff is displayed. But I really like it and glad I went with it.

JeffN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems like Ram did just that with the 12” display. I am not ready to lose everything off the dash yet; having switches feels a lot safer to me while driving, as opposed to clicking through menus.

I’d rather see automakers adopt the Tesla style of dash. One large screen that controls everything and then everything come off the dash. It would be cheaper, less parts to break, less service visits and updates are sent down for the whole vehicle, not just infotainment updates.

A HUD might be convenient for MPH, possibly even navigation but I’ve had a vehicle with a HUD, it was neat but I never missed it. The simplistic design of the Tesla however, especially their climate vent design and how the steering wheel controls are dynamic to provide additional functions is genius IMO.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO

I also have a RV760 for towing the RV. I've not seen anydash GPS units out side of class A, maybe class B or C, with that ability. And the Rand Mcnally software folks seem to not like as well as other aftermarket GPs units or tablet software.