Heated seat issue with back right/passenger side.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2014 RAM Laramie CC.
Back right/passenger side heated seat.
Power it on, powers back off a second later.
I hear the relay click, light turns on and a second later, light and relay click off.
It just started happening in the past month.
All other seats work fine.
I personally wouldn't care, but my 12 year old girl sits there and the New England winter is coming.
I didn't see anything else in my searches, but was looking for some troubleshooting tips.
i.e. resistance that should be present in harness, etc.
I wiggled the connections around.
My brother pointed out that since I did have baby seats in that spot that needed to be really tightened down years ago, it could have possibly damaged the seat.
I wouldn't doubt it, since they have blunt surfaces.
Any help troubleshooting is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Edit:
It just started working the next day again.
I had tried it during several trips the day it had the issue.
So perhaps my daughter sitting on it was causing a bad connection.
I'll have to troubleshoot more.

Last edited:

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You probably want to make sure all electrical connections are good but you may find the heater pad itself has a connection broken. I had that happen on my old Town and country van. The connection the the temp sensor in the heating pad broke. Took the seat apart and soldered it and then it worked great.

Reactions: MMM
OP
OP
M

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You probably want to make sure all electrical connections are good but you may find the heater pad itself has a connection broken. I had that happen on my old Town and country van. The connection the the temp sensor in the heating pad broke. Took the seat apart and soldered it and then it worked great.
So perhaps my daughter sitting on it was causing a bad connection, as you stated.
Thanks

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So perhaps my daughter sitting on it was causing a bad connection, as you stated.
Thanks
If it is a bad or flaky connection, it will probably stop working again soon. My seat worked occasionally for awhile then stopped working completely. Unless it was under 0F and then it would work for a bit even without the temp sensor connected... not sure why that was.

OP
OP
M

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it is a bad or flaky connection, it will probably stop working again soon. My seat worked occasionally for awhile then stopped working completely. Unless it was under 0F and then it would work for a bit even without the temp sensor connected... not sure why that was.
It stopped again, when she sat down.
I have to see how much work it is to pull the 66% part of the seat and diagnose.
Thanks

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I should know this since my truck also has rear heated seats, but is there a heating element for both back and seat for back seats? If so your daughter could sit just on bottom not touching the back with it on, and second test fully pushing on both to help point you to correct cushion to go after for shorted heat element. Just a thought if it could save some troubleshooting time. Getting the seat as a whole will still be needed, but might keep you from digging into both areas if two heating elements.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to bet the temp sensor has a loose connection. If it's like the one I dealt with it was in the bottom pad.

OP
OP
M

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to bet the temp sensor has a loose connection. If it's like the one I dealt with it was in the bottom pad.
Can you just pull the seat and not the back as well?
I have yet to go and check to see how much of a pain it is to pull and disassemble.
Thanks

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I suspect you could but it was a different chrysler vehicle where I worked on the heated seat. I would look on YouTube to see if anyone shows a video on disassembling the rear seats or adding heated seats to the rear. You only need to pull enough of the seat cover off to get to where the wires connect to the pad.
Edited to add that removing the seats is not that hard... I had to do it to fix the cab vents on my truck awhile back. With the seat out it should be easier to work with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
PXL_20221126_212850125.jpg

I noticed a lot of rust here. My truck had that third break like leaking issue which filled up the back seat many years ago. I fixed it myself, however perhaps some damage was caused due to that. Looks like I may have to pull the whole seat to check this, if anybody can clarify or verify it, that would be appreciated.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
those rear seats & the front seats & steering wheel are all on a temperature sensor, aren't they
something like 38 degrees ?

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That setting has to do with whether the drivers side comes on automatically. You can turn it on in warmer weather if you want.