Heated Seats: Driver's Heated Seat Stops Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon F Porche

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 6-Ich Lift
Engine
Hello, I just wanted to see if there were any others out there who have had problems with their heated seats.
16 RAM Sport 4x4 Crew Cab 5.7
The driver's side seat heater will work sometimes, and other times it will turn off quickly.
I can take off in the morning and it work fine.
I shut the truck off, start back up, go down the road I notice its off (after turning on). I try to turn it on again and it works for about 5 seconds... the passenger side heated seat works fine / stays on.
Should I take it in for warranty work (extended warranty) or ?

Is this a common problem ?

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It probably has a broken or close to broken wire going to the heating pad. If you have a warranty that covers it, and the deductible isn't too high I'd let them handle it. If not, I had a similar issue on my old 2011 Town and Country van. I popped the seat cover off enough to get at the electrical connections, found the broken connection and soldered it. Almost no cost, and didn't take too long either.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello, I just wanted to see if there were any others out there who have had problems with their heated seats.
16 RAM Sport 4x4 Crew Cab 5.7
The driver's side seat heater will work sometimes, and other times it will turn off quickly.
I can take off in the morning and it work fine.
I shut the truck off, start back up, go down the road I notice its off (after turning on). I try to turn it on again and it works for about 5 seconds... the passenger side heated seat works fine / stays on.
Should I take it in for warranty work (extended warranty) or ?

Is this a common problem ?

Hi Brandon,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your dealer, please let us know via PM. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

US930904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Mine has been doing that for 3 years. I thought it must be controlled by a thermostat. It is very annoying.

twam911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bingo on my 16 big horn. It has 54k miles out of warranty ( no extended either) . I also have other issues that I took in while under warranty, of course cant replicate, that are still issues now out of warranty. 4th ram and considering a 5th due to problems

Fsc66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My son's 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn had the same issue. Just began a few days ago. Turned on the driver's side heated seat, both lights on the switch lit up red and after a few seconds went out. Passenger side- and steering-wheel heat worked fine. I took a look at it today; I raised the seat to look at the plugs and wiring after see all the threads above. I noticed that the module in the front had 3 plugs plugged into it. Plugs are black, white and light blue. I noticed on the white plug, one of the wires was frayed and I could see the copper wires hanging out of it. The picture below shows the 3 plugs, 2 are already disconnected. I had to pull the harness down by disengaging the clip that held the harness to the metal section of the seat to get better access. We peeled away the harness black tape, I then cut the white wire that was frayed and soldered it back together. I had to use a small pigtail wire as it was too short to reconnect along with shrink tube. I then re-taped the wires up and pushed the clip back into the metal seat frame.

The reason this happened is that when he moved the seat forward the wire was coming into contact with a metal bracket that hangs down from the seat. I was able to bend that bracket down to prevent the wires from the 3 plugs from rubbing against it each time you move the seat forward.

After the above procedure we hit the driver’s heated seat button and sure enough it stayed on and remained on. Relatively easy fix except the access part to the wires was a real pain. Trying to solder under there was not easy. We did begin to remove the 4 bolts holding down the seat but the 2 rear bolts would not budge.