Heated Seats installed by dealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dex17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey yall, got a 2022 Ram Bighorn Lvl 1 Equipment group so no remote start, no heated seats, no auto climate, ect... Getting the OEM Remote Start put in on Monday and was thinking of later on having the dealer put in the OEM heated seats and heated steering wheel. Just curious if anyone has just dropped it off at the dealer and let them do it with good results? I assume they do it alot and know what they are doing. I know its all pre wired but it'll require a new center radio console due to adding the heated seats and heated steering wheel buttons along with a new steering wheel possibly. Really just wanna drop it off and pick it up without worry, thanks!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I highly doubt the dealer will use the OEM heated seat system, most put in aftermarket. It's much easier for them. OEM install would be a custom job that most dealers won't touch. I would ask them specifically what they are using and how they are implementing it.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
I highly doubt the dealer will use the OEM heated seat system, most put in aftermarket. It's much easier for them. OEM install would be a custom job that most dealers won't touch. I would ask them specifically what they are using and how they are implementing it.

I wouldn't think a dealer would use aftermarket parts when OEM parts are available. There's typically not an option available that a dealer can't install unless that particular dealer has staffing or parts shortage issues.

The advantage with the OEM is you get the push button switch installed in the dash like factory whereas with aftermarket it's likely going to be a switch you install somewhere typically around the seat.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wouldn't think a dealer would use aftermarket parts when OEM parts are available. There's typically not an option available that a dealer can't install unless that particular dealer has staffing or parts shortage issues.

The advantage with the OEM is you get the push button switch installed in the dash like factory whereas with aftermarket it's likely going to be a switch you install somewhere typically around the seat.

It's much harder to install most OEM options after the fact because they have no guide, kit, or instructions on how to do it. Most of the time these things are not a simple plug and play and may require a custom made harness, modules, options enabled in the BCM etc.. Much easier to just go with a after market heated seat and switch. Like I said, I would be shocked if they will put OEM in and integrate it like factory.

It certainly is possible and the knowledge is available here on the forum but getting the dealer to do it is another story,

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
It's much harder to install most OEM options after the fact because they have no guide, kit, or instructions on how to do it. Most of the time these things are not a simple plug and play and may require a custom made harness, modules, options enabled in the BCM etc.. Much easier to just go with a after market heated seat and switch. Like I said, I would be shocked if they will put OEM in and integrate it like factory.

It certainly is possible and the knowledge is available here on the forum but getting the dealer to do it is another story,

I hear ya. :happy160:

OP
OP
D

Dex17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Ah okay. I just assumed cause I heard Dealers will add on stuff like Remote Start, bed liner and I saw a couple times, heated seats after buying but before taking home. Just assumed they used OEM parts. What Jerry was saying about using the OEM dash/console switches is really what I want

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sometime around '94 or '95, I had a Nissan dealer install the factory air in my Nissan Kingcab 4X4. Nissan was trying to clear out their inventory and had a promo that was too good to refuse.

Somewhere rolling around in my grey matter, there's another example of a dealer installing an OEM option in one of my trucks, after the fact. I'll add that in if it comes back to me. :cool:

As far as the seats are concerned, do you have any desire to add leather? I'm planning for a set sometime soon. They're about $2400 Canadian, as far as I know. So what's that, $1250 US? :) (just kidding, I think)

When I bought my Ram last January, the dealer had a Ram truck finished with Katzkin leather. It looked mighty fine and if only that truck had the options I wanted...

If having leather installed was on your bucket list, you could ask the installer to quote on the heated seat option. I suspect they add that quite often.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would think that the dealership has a upholstery shop on call to put the heating pad in place

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Ah okay. I just assumed cause I heard Dealers will add on stuff like Remote Start, bed liner and I saw a couple times, heated seats after buying but before taking home. Just assumed they used OEM parts. What Jerry was saying about using the OEM dash/console switches is really what I want
Yeah it's nice to have heated seats but to me only when they're tied to the truck and come on when the heater comes on so you can remote start, let it warm up then hop in a warm seat. After I get going down the road I turn heated seats off at least with my last truck.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it's nice to have heated seats but to me only when they're tied to the truck and come on when the heater comes on so you can remote start, let it warm up then hop in a warm seat. After I get going down the road I turn heated seats off at least with my last truck.

I agree, nothing like getting into a warm truck with the seats pre-heated. :cool:

With my Warlock, I can configure the remote start to also include driver and/or passenger heated seats, and/or the heated steering wheel.

It's great when I'm parked outside somewhere during the winter.

I wonder if the OP could gain access to these options. :cool:

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Even if they did add the OEM equipment you would be hard-pressed to get them to add the sales code to your VIN and activate the features in your truck (BCM, etc.).

All they have to do is mess up one setting and they are on the hook for all of it.

When the DT first rolled out not everything was available on the assembly line. People were buying OEM options afterwards (bed lighting, etc.) and having the dealership install it and activate it (add the sales code to the VIN). It became harder to do as corporate was frowning on dealerships adding options to the VIN after production. Some paid the dealership a premium to activate the features but those became fewer and farther between. I'm not sure what it's like now but dealerships were discouraged heavily during COVID.

This is purely my observation (and 14th-hand knowledge through the internet) from what I've seen since I bought my truck so I could easily be wrong.

As others have said, it is easier to install a 3rd party item that is self-contained and fully functional independent of installed systems. Make sure you ask what they are willing to do (parts, installation, activation), how much it will cost, and how long it will take.

It would be great to get the OEM installation but they may not do all of it (a reason many of us have AlfaOBD).

Just because they are an OEM dealership does not mean they always go the OEM route. They can make more money (and it's easier with less liability) if they farm out the work or use something that they can wire up a power and ground and be done.

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
When you refer OEM equipment and features, do you mean the dealership HAS to unlock the features if I wanted to use additional stuff on some OEM seats from a different Ram package? Im actually looking at some Laramie or Rebel seats that are leather and have all the goodies and want them in my Big Horn.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is just like if you wanted power folding mirrors, daytime running lights, heated seats, etc.
The dealer or someone with an interface tool can program your vehicles brain to inform it that another function has been added. otherwise, that new feature would be Locked out

I would ask the dealer what is involved in getting heated seating & steering wheel, & then tell them that you would want the buttons to be in the instrument panel switch, which would cost you $150 for the part, if you don't already have it

1669453312903.png

Last edited:

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well the seats already in my truck have everything already installed, its mostly the pax seat with the electric switches for adjustments. Pax is purely mechanical, although it has everything the driver seat already has.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm going out on a limb here and say it would cost a fortune to add all that after the fact. The wiring harness probably isn't there along with all the other hardware. I can't imagine what a new steering wheel with heat would run. On my '17 I wanted to add the CD player. Had to buy a whole console base and console wire harness. I had hoped that they would have used one harness and just had the wire hanging there for the CD player. No luck. I did buy the console used and the yard had the harness with it. Then the dealer put the sales code in to get it working. I have a CD player for my '20 that I have been sitting on and hope to do the same thing. Just haven't had the time to tear into it.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the "base" Equipment Level or Level 1, but if you have a Level 2 Big Horn then it's all there to be activated for the seats. They are plug-and-play for Laramie seats. You do have to activate the features otherwise you have an expensive power passenger seat since it's all touch screen uConnect buttons to work the features. The 12" is all touch screen controls and I've not read of anyone swapping dash panels with the 8.4" just to gain a couple of buttons (for seat A/C).

I'm not sure about the heated wheel as I only know that the Level 2 is plug-and-play (which already comes with seat and steering wheel heat).

It's harder to get dealerships to add sales codes to activate these. I'm not sure if there have been issues or if corporate has slapped some wrists for making settings adjustments to VINs.

You can activate the features with AlfaOBD.

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Mine is a BigHorn Lvl 2 package..never seen seat adjustments on Uconnect though, is that for real? Computer driven components are getting a tad bit out of hand...

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Seat adjustments aren't in uConnect.

The Level 2 package has the plug, power and signal line already under the passenger's seat. You can mount a Laramie passenger's seat in there, plug it in, and it will work (the seat adjustments).

You have to activate the functions (ventilation) in the uConnect so you can operate the ventilation since you won't have a button on your dash for it.

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Didnt know the seats had ventilation, is that for the seat cooling? I havent had this truck long.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Yes; and some do. That's the "A/C" in the seats. I don't know what Equipment Level starts that in the Laramie (Maybe Level 1?). Every Laramie has leather seats and some of them have ventilation.