Heated Steering Wheel Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wayne E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys/gals, I have a 2018 Express 5.7 4x4 1500, and wondering if I can easily put in a heated steering wheel? Living on the Canadian Prairies gets very cold. We've already had wet sloppy snow last 2 days.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey guys/gals, I have a 2018 Express 5.7 4x4 1500, and wondering if I can easily put in a heated steering wheel? Living on the Canadian Prairies gets very cold. We've already had wet sloppy snow last 2 days.
Still low 20's over here in Alberta,lol

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012. Added the heated steering wheel.

Needed the HSM, Clockspring, switches, and the wheel (of course!). And programming via Alphaobd.

A later 4th gen probally only needs the clockspring and wheel; and be sure if you already have heated seats that your HSM has the plug and wiring for the heated steering wheel.

It's not a cheap upgrade....wheel was about $450 from Rockauto, and the clockspring was about $250. I already had the HSM (~$150, IIRC) due to the heated seat install I did.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a 2012. Added the heated steering wheel.

Needed the HSM, Clockspring, switches, and the wheel (of course!). And programming via Alphaobd.

A later 4th gen probally only needs the clockspring and wheel; and be sure if you already have heated seats that your HSM has the plug and wiring for the heated steering wheel.

It's not a cheap upgrade....wheel was about $450 from Rockauto, and the clockspring was about $250. I already had the HSM (~$150, IIRC) due to the heated seat install I did.
Did you have to get a harness or have any pictures where you would plug in the HSM etc. I have an SLT k want to convert but not sure if plugs/wiring I will need are there or not.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have any pics (personally), but I can point you in the right direction.

The link here (https://www.ebay.com/itm/314216622353) is a clockspring equipped for a HSM. The black harness with the white plug is the heated steering wheel connector that plugs into the steering wheel harness (in the steering wheel itself).

On the backside (see pics below), your truck, if wired for it, will have a blue connector that plugs into the dummy slot shown in the first pic (circled in blue). Note on the second pic (circled in red) - it is the same location, but shows where the connector goes to if it isn't just in the dummy location (pic 1).

Hope this helps.

On the HSM part, I had to adapt the seat wiring harness to the truck harness. All the wiring was there on my truck on the 'truck side' but not in the seat. Pins 12 & 20 are the heated steering wheel feed from the HSM to the truck harness.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 27
  • s-l1600x2.jpg
    s-l1600x2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20-way connector.pdf
    517.4 KB · Views: 26

Keith1316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Hi! I have a 2016 Tradesman that I added a heated steering wheel to. I bought a new clockspring and installed it. I have upgraded my stereo to the 8.4 UAQ, and my instrument cluster to the 7” display. I have turned on heated wheel with AlfaOBD. I also installed the switch panel for the heated wheel. My problem is I don’t know where/how to install the HSM??? Can you help me please? I have been searching for a long time but can’t find the info I need. My name is Keith! I would appreciate your help please.

Canadian-Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Shorty (RCSB)
Engine
5.7 L
Hi! I have a 2016 Tradesman that I added a heated steering wheel to. I bought a new clockspring and installed it. I have upgraded my stereo to the 8.4 UAQ, and my instrument cluster to the 7” display. I have turned on heated wheel with AlfaOBD. I also installed the switch panel for the heated wheel. My problem is I don’t know where/how to install the HSM??? Can you help me please? I have been searching for a long time but can’t find the info I need. My name is Keith! I would appreciate your help please.
Hey Keith did you figure it out? I'm in the exact same situation. My Heated wheel shows up on the 8.4 display but turns off after about 15 seconds.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The module is under driver seat.