Heated Steering Wheel Not Working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakotakid846

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know there have been a few threads about this topic before, however none that I have seen identify a specific resolution.

The issue im having is that my heated steering wheel will not stay on. Most times after pushing the button, it turns off after literally 2 seconds. Sometimes it will stay on for a few minutes, but very rarely. I recently noticed that sometimes you can hear the relay shutting off, a slight click from the drivers side foot well. Sometimes you cannot. Moving the wheel doesn't seem to make the issue better or worse...as it shuts off whether im driving or parked all the same.

Now having read a few posts on different forums about this issue...all I have become certain about is that is seems like a very common issue with no definite fix. Some have resolved it by changing out the clock spring, some have changed out the module under the drivers seat, some have fixed it by making sure all the plugs were on tight and one fixed it by finding/repairing a pinched wire in the drivers side column.

Im sure that all of these could be viable reasons for the equipment to stop working, I guess what im asking is where to begin? Id rather not start throwing parts and labor at it and would like to start with the most likely reason.

Has anyone else had this issue and what was the outcome?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Haven't had this issue, but I would start by using your warranty.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
You've kinda answered your own question.... I haven't had a heated steering wheel failure, but were I you, I would start by checking all the stuff that's free. If no fault is found, you'll have to decide whether it will be worth it to you to start "Easter Egging" (SWAG) parts, or pay the dealer to diagnose the problem. I am assuming that since your truck is a 2011, you probably don't have a warranty. You can then maybe fix it yourself for cheaper than what the dealer would charge. That being said, there is the distinct probability that the dealer will say that they don't see a code thrown, so they'll want you to pay them hourly labor to do same "Easter Egging" you can do for a lot cheaper or free.

Good luck and please pass on your findings to help the next guy!

OP
OP
D

dakotakid846

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Correct, its a 2011 so no warranty.

Thx johnnymac...ur right and that's kinda what I was figuring. Guess I was hoping to hear that someone had this problem and had a definite fix to it. Maybe save me some time and money chasing it down.

Guess it will be a process of elimination starting with the free and easy and working my way up..

Thanks guys..ill keep u posted if I figure anything out.

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found the same possible things as you, with very few people ever reporting what they found out, or how they found out. I thik I'll start with the box under the drivers seat and check the connections. I also read that people said to unplug all connection on the module for a few minutes then re-plug in (the dealer said they did that anyway). I just had an Infotainment.com aftermarket reverse camera & Drone Mobile remote start installed yesterday, so I wasn't sure if it was something to do with that. This is on my new to me 2015 Sport 4X4.

I wonder how you test the wires going to and from the module? Are they resistance based or just off and on?

Tc3509

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had my 2016 Bighorn at the dealership for a month now trying to fix or diagnose the problem checked every connection change the module under the seat check the IBS reinstalled the software change the heated seat cushions checked all the harnesses truck shows no codes and does exactly what yours does when you turn on either of the heated seats or the heated steering wheel by themselves or together they shut right off after a couple of seconds did this to me twice since I own the truck in the first 5 years of the warranty but started working again right away so I couldn't bring it in recently it quit working and did not return to working condition and it's been at the dealer ever since Chrysler tech line can't figure it out either warranty runs out December 31st like a month away but since it was reported during warranty it will be continually covered until they fix it and from what I hear they will fix it even the technician can confirm it's a tricky fix it should be an easy one usually it's the module under the seat or a loose connection and if it's a minivan it's a broken element in the seat but nobody can figure this one out it's sad to see that so many people are having the same problem when I do find out the result I will definitely post it on here for all to see

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had my 2016 Bighorn at the dealership for a month now trying to fix or diagnose the problem checked every connection change the module under the seat check the IBS reinstalled the software change the heated seat cushions checked all the harnesses truck shows no codes and does exactly what yours does when you turn on either of the heated seats or the heated steering wheel by themselves or together they shut right off after a couple of seconds did this to me twice since I own the truck in the first 5 years of the warranty but started working again right away so I couldn't bring it in recently it quit working and did not return to working condition and it's been at the dealer ever since Chrysler tech line can't figure it out either warranty runs out December 31st like a month away but since it was reported during warranty it will be continually covered until they fix it and from what I hear they will fix it even the technician can confirm it's a tricky fix it should be an easy one usually it's the module under the seat or a loose connection and if it's a minivan it's a broken element in the seat but nobody can figure this one out it's sad to see that so many people are having the same problem when I do find out the result I will definitely post it on here for all to see
This was a problem on many of the 2018 1500's and I don't think they ever figured it out. On those trucks the seats simply turned off after a few seconds. These trucks didn't work from day one. I haven't seen the 2016 have to many issues like yours is having. Since it happened intermittently in the past and then started working again you would lean towards a bad connection or ground but since the dealer has checked all of that I'm assuming it's all OK. My truck didn't come with any of the wiring from the factory for heated/vented seats but I added it and a lot of others have too. It's really a pretty basic system. The only two components involved are the heated seat module and the clockspring. The wiring runs from the PDC (fuse box) into the cab and then to the C.A.N system which communicates with the truck and to the HSM module and clockspring. In a case like yours they have pretty much already replaced the entire system of anything that could cause the issues you are having and without the truck throwing any DTC codes it makes it extremely difficult to try to diagnose. The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the actual harness that would be a major undertaking and the BCM (Body Control Module) itself. In most cases when this happens it's the heated seat module. I almost wonder if they might try another one just to make sure you somehow didn't get a bad one when they replaced it? Hopefully they will eventually get it figured out. When and if they do please post whatever they find. On the 2018 trucks FCA refused to address the issue and said the seats were turning off because they had reached operating temperature which is total B.S. One guy got so frustrated he traded his truck in at a different dealer and walked away from it. At least in your case the dealer isn't claiming that the truck is functioning normally.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Tc3509

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your reply ,,, yes to all of that, the only thing is the clock spring, to my knowledge it has not been replaced, temperature sensors were checked as well,, I am happy they are working with me on the issue, and will DEFINITELY post the results

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your reply ,,, yes to all of that, the only thing is the clock spring, to my knowledge it has not been replaced, temperature sensors were checked as well,, I am happy they are working with me on the issue, and will DEFINITELY post the results
It's unfortunate that the dealer cannot enable certain codes like we can with the Alfa tool to possibly rule certain functions out. When they enable the code it automatically enables everything. The Alfa tool can enable and disable them one by one and verify they are actually set. If you know anyone with the tool it wouldn't hurt to connect to the truck and take a look. One other I may suggest is did they try changing ir at least switching the actual relays in the PDC to see if one was possibly bad?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Tc3509

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well an Alpha tool might be the thing to have, it took the dealer 51 hrs (Oct28 2020 - Mar 04 2021) to change a RELAY ! Yes a relay made in CHINA the Run relay, apparently it is responsible for supplying a constant voltage to various components simultaneously this went on for months until one day it wouldn't start - then they knew right away what it was, apparently this has been a problem in that new cars/trucks are not starting or they stall out just after a start, its this module.... mine was going out slowly and until it failed to the point of not starting the truck they could not diagnose it

Truck was damaged 3 times at the dealer (I didn't want to leave it ) but had no choice

What a nightmare !!!!

20210306_113907.jpg

1slo_cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
well an Alpha tool might be the thing to have, it took the dealer 51 hrs (Oct28 2020 - Mar 04 2021) to change a RELAY ! Yes a relay made in CHINA the Run relay, apparently it is responsible for supplying a constant voltage to various components simultaneously this went on for months until one day it wouldn't start - then they knew right away what it was, apparently this has been a problem in that new cars/trucks are not starting or they stall out just after a start, its this module.... mine was going out slowly and until it failed to the point of not starting the truck they could not diagnose it

Truck was damaged 3 times at the dealer (I didn't want to leave it ) but had no choice

What a nightmare !!!!

View attachment 240314
What relay was it that you changed?? Can you mark an "X" on it in the pic? My gf truck has the same issue and would rather change this than a clockspring if I can!

Thanks

Tc3509

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Start/Run Relays (K08) on my truck work in series with another relay, test one relay by itself and both seemed good, plug them in together where they go and one fails..I would change both if not sure,,, Swap other same relays around to try, as there are other relays the same for various components in there - been working fine since !!

Attachments

• 20210306_113907_LI.jpg
    20210306_113907_LI.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210714_110845_LI.jpg
    20210714_110845_LI.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 25

Bigred124

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Would this also work for 2500 too?

Tc3509

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not sure,, dont see why not, most systems are the same ,,, (most),, lots of problems with those relays according to techs...

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Start/Run Relays (K08) on my truck work in series with another relay, test one relay by itself and both seemed good, plug them in together where they go and one fails..I would change both if not sure,,, Swap other same relays around to try, as there are other relays the same for various components in there - been working fine since !!
2009 Laramie joining the hunt. I have the trifecta...two seats and a steering wheel with the three second light problem. My fusebox looks nothing like yours, but I swapped positions on all relays. Have been hunting for a resource that shows test points and voltage, but no joy. I've followed bread crumbs on various websites regarding this topic, and am surprised that after a decade a step by step to troubleshoot is not a sticky somewhere.

BIGvolFAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2009 Laramie joining the hunt. I have the trifecta...two seats and a steering wheel with the three second light problem. My fusebox looks nothing like yours, but I swapped positions on all relays. Have been hunting for a resource that shows test points and voltage, but no joy. I've followed bread crumbs on various websites regarding this topic, and am surprised that after a decade a step by step to troubleshoot is not a sticky somewhere.
Any luck to your problem? I have a 2010 Laramie. Heated seats and heated wheel do not work. I have hard time believing its the element in all 3 that are bad. Seems like something electrical.

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not yet...it's a common denominator somewhere. I bit the bullet and bought a new module under the seat. I think it's called heater control module. No joy. I'll try the clock spring next.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any luck to your problem? I have a 2010 Laramie. Heated seats and heated wheel do not work. I have hard time believing its the element in all 3 that are bad. Seems like something electrical.
I'm not sure which thread this is, but did you check for a blown fuse? For all 3 to be dead, it sounds like either a fuse, or the control box (Assuming those are the only "shared" bits, and I haven't pulled a schematic.)