Heated Steering Wheel Not Working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine are now working, and the only thing changed is the weather. So, it must be temperature related. There are other threads that discuss it. It's cold outside, and now my heated seat and heated steering wheel can be activated.
Next problem is trying to understand why they don't energize when I remote start the engine. In the EVIC, RKE with Comfort Group is checked "On".

As an afterthought, some engineer arbitrarily picked a temperature threshold for the heated circuit to work. Would be nice to raise that threshold. Wife has bad back, and it would be nice to turn on the heated seat even if warm outside.

Last edited:

alaskanelmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Chiming in here too- 2012 Ram 3500. Truck is tuned from towing with Bully dog setup. 100K and still running good.

#1- Rear heated seats and steering wheel heat will not work. Press button and goes off after 2/3 seconds. Its been like this for years, can't run it down.

#2- Even worse now- random lights are illuminating on dash- trailer connection disconnect, 4x4 needs service, and then will randomly chime. Once these come on after driving for random amounts of time the Cruise Control will not work.

#3- Lastly when you stop truck and park, but don't shut off, the shifter becomes locked out and can't be moved until truck is shut off.

Has anyone made headway in finding the solution to heated seats/steering wheel? TIA

Tc3509

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats a lot more involved than the problem i had,,, my seats/wheel were doing the same thing, click off after 3 seconds no matter what my problem was start/run relays, but i did not have the other issues you mentioned - funny thing is now i have a bcm thats gone bad resulting in no uconnect or hands free now.. great trucks, lousy electronics it seems

jv2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Chiming in here too, I have a 2017 limited and my driver side heated seat started going out intermittently at first but its becoming more consistent now, and the heated steering wheel went out this morning. I am going to try the fuse trick first, then I will report back. *Fingers crossed*

MetalManChad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
I bought my 2021 Ram in February of this year, and I swore that the heated steering wheel worked back then.

Ever since, I haven't used it through the spring and summer into fall here in Ohio.

But when it turned cold, it wouldn't come one, typical of what I read here, light would come on and go
off after two seconds.

I checked all the app settings, seats would come on fine. But it just wouldn't come on until today.....

I hardly ever use my remote start feature, but I did this morning, and this afternoon, and ever since, the steering wheel heat works!

I have no idea why, but if your heated wheel isn't working, or seats.....try your remote start a few times.

Just a new guy here, but a veteran Mopar owner.

Scrounger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
Not yet...it's a common denominator somewhere. I bit the bullet and bought a new module under the seat. I think it's called heater control module. No joy. I'll try the clock spring next.
What is a clock spring?

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is a clock spring?
It's a device in the steering wheel, some circuits pass through it. As it turns out, I didn't need to replace it. The problem was I didn't know that the heated seats/steering wheel don't turn on unless the temp gets cold. My son's GMC heated seats work at any temp. My wife's RAV4 heated seats work at any temp. I had a Ford, the heated seats worked at any temp. Didn't know RAM had a low temp requirement. Stupid design.

ThePouchBear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had the 2 second turn off on heated steering wheel issue. My Ram has heated front seats and steering wheel, but no rear seat heaters. I found 2 issues causing the auto off. At the Heated seat module under the driver seat, the teal connector for the heated steering wheel circuit had 2 wires bent at the connector with exposed copper and frayed wires. I was able to unbolt the front seat and repair the wires at the connector. The issue was still there, the heated steering wheel/rear heated seat fuse was blown. Issue seems to be fixed after fixing the shorts and replacing the fuse. Not sure how the wires were damaged as I bought the truck used last summer.