Heated Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
Evening everyone. I have done a search and read some posts regarding a similar issue, but I haven't found if anyone solved it...

I bought a used 2020 3500, CC, LB, HO Turbo Diesel 12" UConnect about 5 months ago (i.e. no warranty). I noticed a couple months ago the heated steering wheel would sometimes work fine and other times it would come on for about 20 seconds and then turn off. I have been trying to determine a consistent pattern or trigger since to no avail. Sometimes it works with the remote start and stays on (all instances tried were high 30s); sometimes it works when I manually select it under the controls...and most times it doesn't. The heated seats work fine all the time.

Now that it is a bit chillier here in central Texas, I was hoping someone had solved it...

Thank you.

(P.S. I know cold is relative as I grew up in New England, spent 8 years in central NY, and 11 years in CO).

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I think the cut off is around 40deg with remote start. If it is 40 or higher it won't come on. It also has to be set to come on with remote in your settings screen.
If the sun is shining on the temp sensor it would think it is warmer out than it really is and also not come on.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You're right about the remote start, but the OP said he's also having trouble with it working when using the uconnect screen to manually turn it on. Doesn't matter what the temperature is when you turn it on manually.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '21 Warlock that appeared to have some intermittent electrical Gremlin features concerning the heated steering wheel. Heated seats always worked OK.

It worked great for the longest time then, once in a while, would just shut off by itself. I haven't seen any problems with the remote start avec heated seat & steering wheel but haven't used that feature too often.

I have seen the manual button LED extinguish on more than one occasion.

Following an alert from a member here about fuses not being seated, I discovered a large percentage of the fuses on my truck could be pushed in further. I didn't measure the displacement but it felt like 2 or 3 mm.

I have yet to experience any loss of my heated steering wheel since pushing on all the fuses in the TIPM.

This isn't very conclusive but, until the Gremlins return and mess up my heated steering wheel again, I'm looking at it as a solution, at least for my truck. :cool:

OP
OP
R

Raife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. It is happening both on remote start and manual selection. I will try the fuse push in to see if that helps.

OP
OP
R

Raife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went and check (i.e. pushed in fuses and relays)...I only found a couple and none were big differences. I did recall when I was out there that I think I pushed them all in when I bought the truck 5 months ago.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you can find a TIPM layout diagram for the year of your truck, I'd be looking to see if there's a dedicated relay that is used for just the heated steering wheel.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm searching for a wiring diagram that will hopefully list any connectors involved with the heated steering, no luck yet. Who knows how many points of failure there could be involved with this circuit.

I may have something bookmarked in my phone, I'll post anything related I can find.

It might be worthwhile to stick your head in the driver's footwell and look for any connectors that could be not seated or corroded.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This site will show the types of connectors utilized in different areas of the vehicle and will at the least, show you the shape & appearance of the connectors used.

Then while looking at the myriad of connectors under the driver footwell, you might identify the specific connector used and can disconnect & inspect for damage or corrosion.

Enter your year & platform type, then use the filter search with 'steering'.
The results should list heated - steering wheel or something similar.

http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having the same issue with my 2020 RAM 1500 Classic Warlock. Stays on for about 20-30 seconds then shuts off.

Almost due for an oil change so I'll ask the dealer to check it out and report back.

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having the same issue with my 2020 RAM 1500 Classic Warlock. Stays on for about 20-30 seconds then shuts off.

Almost due for an oil change so I'll ask the dealer to check it out and report back.
Got the oil change done and they fixed the heated steering wheel.

B10C4-13 - HEATED STEERING WHEEL CONTROL- -CIRCUIT OPEN

Replaced clock spring - see attached

Attachments

• clock spring.jpg
    clock spring.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 18