Heater mode actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ml_mechanical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey guys. 2013 Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel in it. I can’t seem to find the answer to my specific problem. I’m getting good heat through the defrost and the dash vents but I’m getting no air on the floor. I’ve tried using the defrost/floor mode and the vent/floor mode and nothing. When I remove the lower glove box I can see the mode actuator back behind the radio moving. When I cycle between hot and cold you can see that actuator move as well. When I cycle between just the floor and the defrost/floor I cannot see the actuator move. Is it possible that it’s the actuator or is the rod broken inside the heater box. I should add that it was working fine one day. Left truck parked in -30 degree weather for several days and it needed to be boosted to start. It started right after it needed to be boosted. Not sure if the problems are related. After boosting none of the heated seats or steering wheel or cruise control would work. Shut truck off and restarted it and I got the heated seats and cruise back, but still won’t cycle to the floor heat

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Easiest thing to do is take the actuator off and check the door to see if it is broken. If it’s fine, try swapping the actuator.

OP
OP
M

ml_mechanical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The doors were fine. I switched the 2 actuators behind the center cover. Not sure why, but now everything is working as it should.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Probably was the actuator then. A lot of time just taking them out and puting them back in fixes it for awhile.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Mopar actuators are the best made, unfortunately the gears inside them tend to break because the doors that they are moving are so heavy.
When the actuator moves the arm, the arm is closing or opening the door. when the door reaches its limit, either all the way open or closed, there is no limiter to shut off the actuator, so reaches its own rotation limit it finally stop banging against the door, sometimes that action breaks a few teeth.

You said that you pulled the facia from around the radio & saw the 2 actuators located there
The actuator that was on the left, controls the air flow to either the Floor or the Defrost vents
The one to the right, controls air going to the floor or vent on either side of the cab, if i recall correctly

The actuator under the glove compartment to the left of the fan controls which way the air flows, either over & under the heater or over the condenser

The last actuator controls whether or not fresh air enters the cab or not, it is located , straight up from the fan & Cab Air Filter, behind the upper glove compartment