Heavier coil springs vs airbags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WWdiner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow a 7000 lb RV using a weight distribution hitch. My setup is level, but I still experience some bounce going down the highway. I am considering either airbags or heavier springs. I've narrowed my choices to Tuftruck TT-1211 or Airlift 1000HD airbags. I have heard that since the TT-1211 springs are about 2 inches shorter than the stock coils, they can lose tension when the vehicle frame is on a lift and the springs can shift or dislocate. I really want to go with coils rather than bags, but this issue concerns me. I'm looking for experienced advice on which system would be best.

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I use the equalizer hitch and just purchased a set of timbren.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I tow a 7000 lb RV using a weight distribution hitch. My setup is level, but I still experience some bounce going down the highway. I am considering either airbags or heavier springs. I've narrowed my choices to Tuftruck TT-1211 or Airlift 1000HD airbags. I have heard that since the TT-1211 springs are about 2 inches shorter than the stock coils, they can lose tension when the vehicle frame is on a lift and the springs can shift or dislocate. I really want to go with coils rather than bags, but this issue concerns me. I'm looking for experienced advice on which system would be best.

I did notice this when I was installing my 1211's, however, it doesn't really seem to be much of an issue with the 3/4" top spacers I added once the shocks and swaybar links are reconnected. I added the coil spacers to keep the truck from ever going nose high without bags since I do have front 5100's at 2.1" and I like how they insert into both the top of the spring and the truck itself (Essentially ensuring the top of the spring is positively located in the correct position). The combination of the springs and rear 5100's made my truck ride noticeably better empty and with moderate loads, but I haven't loaded it heavy outside of just hitching up my parents RV to check sag.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
TTC 1211s are not shorter than the stock springs and my truck sey the same height after the install, they do not move around.

I wanted even more weight capacity so I also install Timbergrove airbags I dont like the airlift 1000 in spring bags myself.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Without a doubt go with the bags. Why suffer through a stiffer ride all the time? The bags can just be aired up when you need them. I've actually considered putting softer springs on my 2500 since I have bags.

Also, the adjustability of the airbags is great. With the springs you just get one setting. The bags can be aired up or down to get your setup just right. I run bags with my 11K 5th wheel and wouldn't be without them. I'm not overweight but being able the adjust the stiffness of the "hinge" between truck and trailer is a must IMO.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I went with bags, for the same reasons mtofell stated. Timbergroves. Do not try and go cheap with bags (Airlift 1000s) like I did at first, go straight for a kit like the Timbergroves. Some have good luck with the 1000s, but many (like me) do not. Also, you cannot add air to the 1000s later if you forget to do it before loading up, you must do it before hand. With the Timbergroves, before, during, after... doesn't matter. They work, and work well.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Before you do any of that, what TIRES do you have? Typically half ton trucks have car tires or C rated LT tires. I would guess that most of your bounce and squish feeling comes from your tires. You would likely get a more solid feel and safer drive by upgrading your tires to D or E rated tires.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tend to agree that the bounce should not be the suspension if everything is set up correctly.

Contrary to others here, I ended up going to stiffer springs instead of bags. Mine are equivalent to the 1223. With Bils set at 1.4" in front, the truck sits higher but with about the same rake as OEM. The suspension on 1500s is already so soft and forgiving that the ride is hardly hurt by stiffening it up some. Now with 300 - 400 lbs of stuff in the bed and about 800 lbs of tongue weight, the truck still has a slight rake and the headlights aim where they should. I'm beyond happy with my set up. As easy as they are, bags are still a lot more work and money than springs.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Good feedback in this thread. Me towing TTs daily commercially I would first take her to the scales to make sure you have via WDH & physical weight distribution replaced your unloaded steer weight, that your drive weight isn’t over the 3,900, and that you are close as you can reasonably get to 12.5 percent tongue weight. This very well may resolve your bounce.

Next big fan of axle to frame airbag setups such as Timbergrove. ($350) To support dampen & help control the rear suspension under heavy load. Stronger springs would compliment this but are not necessary. Between setting your load and the bags bounce should be gone usually even for a longer heavier trailer.

You really shouldn’t have any substantial movement from even factory standard load tires set to 40 psi. Assuming above is done. That said some XL or stronger load tires do help remove any squish.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
So better springs
Air bags
Tires
Lets not forget the Hellwig sway bar. :)

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
unloaded the stock springs are a bit longer than 1211. With any load the over all lenght changes dramatically for stock. The 1211's will not fall out unless your flexed out all the way to stuffed on one side and even then i doubt it will come out. The stock sway bar will keep you from articulating anywhere near that level for them to become dislodged.

and they aren't rough. Also springs are less likely to fail if your in a cold climate. I wouldn't mind a set of bags but I have no need that i've done the coil swap and air systems don't like where i live.

I'm told the timbergroves are the way to go as far as air systems go. Leave the Airlift 1000s where you found them.

L.M._Rog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added the TTC-1211s to my truck and found the ride height was the same as stock and provided a nice ride. I also added the Bils all around. I tow a 27 foot camper with an unloaded weight of 3750# and 395# tounge weight without issues. Where they factory coils bottomed out quickly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk