Heavy Load Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
the trucks ability to carry the vertical load placed on the deck
Lean twords a 3500 as the rear suspension of a 2500 CTD is a coil suspension. The leaf springs of the 3500 will hold the weight better.
Another note about moving to a modern diesel is they need to be ran down the road on a regular basis to allow the emissions system to clean itself. The days of idling a diesel truck for hours/days on end have gone by the wayside unless the emissions system falls off the truck but that's a whole different conversation.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are no more Standards. 2018 was the last year for a manual. All automatics now.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What do dual wheels gain for me? I am able to handle the vertical load pushing down on my truck with a 2500 single rear wheel.
You said the trailer has a 25,000 pound GVWR, but what is the actual loaded weight you are dealing with and what is the hitch weight? If it was really at 25K, you would be looking at a hitch weight of a minimum of 2,500 (10%) which would be over the payload of most configurations of Ram 2500 Diesels (though a properly configured Chevy or GMC duramax could work).

OP
OP
W

winesalot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The honest answer is that I don’t know. The trailer gvwr is 25,500. It weighs around 4,500 lbs so I have been going with no more that 10 ton or 20,000 lbs of fruit (there may be the occasional wink and a nod overload to that answer). I know that when I put 2000 lbs in the bed of the truck (two of our grape bins and no trailer) the truck squats way more than it does with the 20,000 on the trailer. So I would give an educated guess that I am around the 1000 lbs hitch weight on the gooseneck when the trailer is fully loaded.
You said the trailer has a 25,000 pound GVWR, but what is the actual loaded weight you are dealing with and what is the hitch weight? If it was really at 25K, you would be looking at a hitch weight of a minimum of 2,500 (10%) which would be over the payload of most configurations of Ram 2500 Diesels (though a properly configured Chevy or GMC duramax could work)

Last edited: