Hell cat TRX is offcial

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I have not yet. I'm still planning on doing the project but been putting a little more thought in to it. I'm gonna put doing it myself as the secondary option. I'm gonna check out a couple local custom shops and see if they would actually be able to punch out those areas instead of just cutting. Reason being is if you look at the Rebel hood, or even the Macho Power Wagon, those vent openings in the hood have rolled edges and are slightly indented which allows the edge of the actual vent to line up with the hood. If none of the shops can duplicate the factor look then I'll cut it myself and install the vents.

When it comes to work like this, I prefer as clean a look as possible. Not saying I can't do a clean job of it, but if I can pay someone to make it look stock and the cost isn't astronomical, then it's worth it to me.

What RAM should have done is just make the Macho Power Wagon which has a bunch of stuff we all want. Then would could just plug and play with these parts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
So if and when you do, will it be Ram air or a vent? You spoke about heat is the reason so ram air is off the table? And too much fab work? My last truck had ram air and I’m intrigued.

CAE8799E-A413-4E8E-893B-66841FBC7C50.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
So if and when you do, will it be Ram air or a vent? You spoke about heat is the reason so ram air is off the table? And to much fab work? My last truck had ram air and I’m intrigued.

View attachment 183516
If you get a functional hood with actual vent holes I dont think heat would be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
michael harpe

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Yes
I was unfamiliar with the “Macho”
Thanks
I think the black tailgate and red power wagon and ram are happening. And the red trim for the air vents, ram logo, and radio trim. Definetly going to be on my list for trixie. Lucky me I already have the lift and tires lol

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I think the black tailgate and red power wagon and ram are happening. And the red trim for the air vents, ram logo, and radio trim. Definetly going to be on my list for trixie. Lucky me I already have the lift and tires lol

If you get a functional hood with actual vent holes I dont think heat would be an issue.

So if and when you do, will it be Ram air or a vent? You spoke about heat is the reason so ram air is off the table? And too much fab work? My last truck had ram air and I’m intrigued.

View attachment 183516
Trailmaker, basically I'm creating a heat reduction hood using the stock hood. AEV sells their heat reduction hood for like $1,500 but then you've got the cost of paint as well so depending on that, you're looking at a total cost somewhere in the area of $2-3k. You see heat reduction hoods more on a Jeep, however should be stock on the Power Wagons and not just the Rebel. The ram air style hoods are for air induction usually and while they are good at getting cooler air under the hood while driving, they are useless while idling or off roading where you might have to engage 4lo/hi for an extended period of time depending on terrain and crawling over said terrain.

I got the idea to do this hood though from the Macho Power Wagon which was shown at SEMA like 3 or 4 years ago. When they showcased the truck, it had a redesigned front and rear bumper, hood, sliding headache rack, and stock 37" tires with an upgraded factory lift. The truck received huge applause, however RAM didn't move forward with it and best I can tell, there are not plans to do so. However, I feel the front/rear bumpers and hood should be a stock item on all Power Wagons because of what this truck is designed to do. You wouldn't see so many people going to different front and rear bumpers if they had the ones from the Macho.

So I got to thinking the best way to go about it while utilizing the stock hood and the stamped louvers currently on the hood. I searched for a whole bunch of different options for vents and came across none I liked. Then the Rebel hood came along. The vents on the Rebel hood are functional for allowing heat to escape from the engine bay. A bonus, they are basically the same dimensions as the stamped louvers on the 2500/3500 hoods.

If you haven't done it yet, I suggest Googling the SEMA Macho Power Wagon.

Harpe is right, if the hood is vented heat wouldn't be an issue. So to answer your original question after the long drawn out post more directly. Lol. It's vents over ram air for this indended application.

Harpe, I've got a company who will redo all my vinyl to match what's shown on the Macho for about a grand total and that's also doing an anti glare hood. It's on the list of things to do.

Mace Peveler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Did this to mine. Cost was $400.00

wrap-jpg.141364

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Trailmaker, basically I'm creating a heat reduction hood using the stock hood. AEV sells their heat reduction hood for like $1,500 but then you've got the cost of paint as well so depending on that, you're looking at a total cost somewhere in the area of $2-3k. You see heat reduction hoods more on a Jeep, however should be stock on the Power Wagons and not just the Rebel. The ram air style hoods are for air induction usually and while they are good at getting cooler air under the hood while driving, they are useless while idling or off roading where you might have to engage 4lo/hi for an extended period of time depending on terrain and crawling over said terrain.

I got the idea to do this hood though from the Macho Power Wagon which was shown at SEMA like 3 or 4 years ago. When they showcased the truck, it had a redesigned front and rear bumper, hood, sliding headache rack, and stock 37" tires with an upgraded factory lift. The truck received huge applause, however RAM didn't move forward with it and best I can tell, there are not plans to do so. However, I feel the front/rear bumpers and hood should be a stock item on all Power Wagons because of what this truck is designed to do. You wouldn't see so many people going to different front and rear bumpers if they had the ones from the Macho.

So I got to thinking the best way to go about it while utilizing the stock hood and the stamped louvers currently on the hood. I searched for a whole bunch of different options for vents and came across none I liked. Then the Rebel hood came along. The vents on the Rebel hood are functional for allowing heat to escape from the engine bay. A bonus, they are basically the same dimensions as the stamped louvers on the 2500/3500 hoods.

If you haven't done it yet, I suggest Googling the SEMA Macho Power Wagon.

Harpe is right, if the hood is vented heat wouldn't be an issue. So to answer your original question after the long drawn out post more directly. Lol. It's vents over ram air for this indended application.

Harpe, I've got a company who will redo all my vinyl to match what's shown on the Macho for about a grand total and that's also doing an anti glare hood. It's on the list of things to do.

Ok I gotcha. I had ram air dump on my cold air intake and after the exhaust work was done I was getting the power (30hp more) I needed to push my 35s on my 150. I crawled around a bunch in my little 4.0 l and never over heated, so the thought did not cross my mind that the PW could/would when off roading.
thanks again
I would love to watch your build, so please note and photo the progress.

28617E67-4D3B-4081-A76C-166164DA7A69.jpeg

8A41F8C1-C0B3-4A37-B7B0-ECB380FB7C92.jpeg

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Ok I gotcha. I had ram air dump on my cold air intake and after the exhaust work was done I was getting the power (30hp more) I needed to push my 35s on my 150. I crawled around a bunch in my little 4.0 l and never over heated, so the thought did not cross my mind that the PW could/would when off roading.
thanks again
I would love to watch your build, so please note and photo the progress.

View attachment 183528

View attachment 183529
It's not a common thing to have happen. With that being said, I've had it happen twice. Once in Pagosa Springs, CO where I had to engage lockers and 4 wheel for a very long duration due to terrain and another going the back way to Crown King in AZ. Had a vehicle flip on the trail a ways up and it completely blocked the path. So I was idling in 115 degree heat for over an hour. Both times I ended up having to shut it down and pop the hood to vent it. So I prefer to prepare for the worst on most things and hope for the best.

I'll definitely detail a build thread though so you can follow along.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
My Raptor has the drive train to tow in that range much like the PW but you sacrifice the off road capabilities... I think the air bags are the way to go for the PW so you don’t lose anything but gain a much bigger payload. If this new truck is anything like the Raptor, 8000 will be its max. If it’s anything like the current Rebel, you will be in luck. But you might be doing the air bags like me to have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Lol

I just got up to speed on your PW issue. Sorry to hear that. Hope Ram Cares gets you all fixed up.

thanks, i have a great tech, and a dealer who knows how many 2500s my truck sells in the area lol ie. i cant stop at a single light without getting questions or thumbs up....even from raptors...but then they pull ahead and i give them a different finger.

goes to show you how much i still love my PW and Ram and how excited i am to see a boosted gas Ram. Which will probably receive a solid ZF right?

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
thanks, i have a great tech, and a dealer who knows how many 2500s my truck sells in the area lol ie. i cant stop at a single light without getting questions or thumbs up....even from raptors...but then they pull ahead and i give them a different finger.

goes to show you how much i still love my PW and Ram and how excited i am to see a boosted gas Ram. Which will probably receive a solid ZF right?
Look at you mod list I can see that the 37s and the exhaust tone alone turn heads... I like you style. I wish you would do a build tread for us!!

the ZF is used in the fastest, high HP that mopar puts out, so one could assume they would use it. I love mine. It is spot on. And makes my gas engine feel like it has the balls of a Diesel (well almost) when pulling a load.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956