Hello Y'all........TPMS Is Driving Me Nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coosawjack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate to post this in my first post here but my 2008 RAM 1500 has decided to randomly tell me I have a low tire but I don't.......warning goes out next start and may stay off several days....then ding.....ding.....ding....flashing tire light!!:mad:

Is there any way to disable this thing??:confused:

Thanks in advance!!:)

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has done that before as well, the battery was dying in the sensor. I just replaced them all and never happened again. It might be an antenna in the truck but likely a sensor is dying.

My 2014 does some odd stuff every now and then. Last week I was getting ready to get on the highway sitting at a light, and bam my rear tire reads 10psi?!?!?!?! So I pull out of the turn lane with my infant in the back seat, crawl to the gas station 1 block down and pull in. I jump out and look at the back tire to see if Im lucky enough for a pit stop, (295/65-20 so 35.5 inches tall) and it looks like the rest? I jump in to grab my pressure gauge and its 38 psi. I sit there a second and the truck goes to normal and it reads fine.

Needless to say I have a sensor on order.

I was a bit too enthusiastic to change a tire though. i have my jack and 18v inpact in the bed so I was about to Nascar that SOB

OP
OP
C

Coosawjack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for your reply WilliamS.......

I have done a little research and seems the best thing would be replace all 4 (5) sensors......someone said the spare even has one??o_O

The tires I have are 10 ply with 50 PSI in them.....is there a chance too much pressure is causing this??:cool:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your title was confusing lol...TPS = Throttle Position Sensor. Your issue is TPMS. Cannot disable it. If the light is solid it's low or high air. If it's flashing you have a sensor error (guessing you have NOT read your manual...). A competent shop should be able to figure out which one(s) it is (it'll have an intermittent signal) and replace it. The batteries don't last forever, I've found this out the hard way lol. Glad my 03 and 05 don't have that ****, wasn't so lucky with the 06.

OP
OP
C

Coosawjack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your title was confusing lol...TPS = Throttle Position Sensor. Your issue is TPMS. Cannot disable it. If the light is solid it's low or high air. If it's flashing you have a sensor error (guessing you have NOT read your manual...). A competent shop should be able to figure out which one(s) it is (it'll have an intermittent signal) and replace it. The batteries don't last forever, I've found this out the hard way lol. Glad my 03 and 05 don't have that ****, wasn't so lucky with the 06.

Sorry but I thought TPS = Tire Pressure Sensor......Hmmmm??

So if the pressure is too HIGH it will activate too??

I have a set of 10 ply Goodyears and have been running 45 PSI??

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry but I thought TPS = Tire Pressure Sensor......Hmmmm??

So if the pressure is too HIGH it will activate too??

I have a set of 10 ply Goodyears and have been running 45 PSI??

Hey I don't name them, I just go with what's in the factory manual lol (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). When you go to replace them, they aren't called TPS (because that's taken) but TPMS sensor. Yes, each TPMS in a vehicle is programmed to a specific pressure range (45psi may not be high enough). Too low, it comes on, too high it's supposed to come on as well (my Charger plagues me with this ********). When it lights up for pressure discrepancy it's a solid light. If the light is blinking there's a system fault.

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate to post this in my first post here but my 2008 RAM 1500 has decided to randomly tell me I have a low tire but I don't.......warning goes out next start and may stay off several days....then ding.....ding.....ding....flashing tire light!!:mad:

Is there any way to disable this thing??:confused:

Thanks in advance!!:)

If they are the original sensors, they may need to be replaced. Each sensor has a battery and the lifespan is 8-10 years, yours being a 2008 may need replaced

OP
OP
C

Coosawjack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dropped the pressure to 40 PSI up front and 35 PSI in back and drove it all day yesterday without the warning light coming on....so maybe the pressure was too high for the sensors??o_O

And....yes, I'll probably replace the "TPMS" sensors soon just to be sure!!:)

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
In some cars they do, dunno if Ram did that. Look at your valve stem, that'll tell you if it does or not.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Does anyone know if the spare tire has a sensor??:cool:
The early 4th Gen definitely do not as I've spent enough time with mine on to test this. The newer ones I can't be sure. The trucks with temporary spares likely do not, but the ones with the full size sra spares might.