Hellwig rear sway bar - setting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some input on the settings of the Hellwig rear sway bar (7709) for my truck.

I have a 2013 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD with the 5.7 Hemi engine and the 6 speed tranny.
Wheels are stock 20 Inch and the truck is slightly lifted (1 Inch in the front & 3/4 Inch in the back).
Performance wise it is still pretty much stock. I already added a CAI and am planning on upgrading it with a 87mm throttle body from Moe's as well as Bilstein 4600's all around as soon as the funds are available.
I haven't thought much about a tuner, but who knows ...

Currently I have the occasional inner rear wheel spinning when accelerating out of a corner and I hope to get that a bit under control with the installation of the Hellwig rear sway bar.

With my set up which setting on the sway bar would work best/would you recommend?

Thanks for any input!

Cheers,

David

Last edited:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some input on the settings of the Hellwig rear sway bar (7709) for my truck.

Wheels are stock 20 Inch and the truck is slightly lifted (1 Inch in the front & 3/4 Inch in the back).
Performance wise it is still pretty much stock. I already added a CAI and am planning on upgrading it with a 87mm throttle body from Moe's as well as Bilstein 4600's all around as soon as the funds are available.

Currently I have the occasional inner rear wheel spinning when accelerating out of a corner and I hope to get that a bit under control with the installation of the Hellwig rear sway bar.

With my set up which setting on the sway bar would works best/would you recommend?

Thanks for any input!

Cheers,

David

I would start on the least aggressive setting and go from there...

Attachments

• SwayBarAdjustments.jpg
    SwayBarAdjustments.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 222

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Most guys just go straight to the middle setting, but as David said, I like to start on the rear most setting. Drive it like that for a week or so, and then switch it to the middle. Drive it for another week and then switch it to the front. The rear most setting will have the smoothest highway ride, but the front most setting will offer the best stability. Everyone has different needs based on driving style, so its best to try them all and just see which one fits your needs the best.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I just installed one...went with middle little more aggressive than stock.

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
mine is in the middle even with 6inch lift. Anyway, you should try to find an adjustments that fits you the most. It takes only 10 minutes to re-adjust

OP
OP
DavidN

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys!
Will start at the rearmost setting and work my way up.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lol, I started at the most aggressive setting and there she will stay :)

OP
OP
DavidN

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I installed the Hellwig rear sway bar yesterday.
Went with the middle setting out of the box and after a brief test drive I like it!
Rear end stability has definitely improved, no more swaying from side to side on uneven roads. The truck feels much firmer and more "planted" now without sacrificing any of it's ride comfort.

I highly recommend that upgrade!

Installation was a breeze, only issue - I had to re-use the bolts that holds the brackets to the rear axle. The ones that came with the new sway bar, even if they are the same thread size, just didn't fit.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Hey guys,

With my set up which setting on the sway bar would work best/would you recommend?

Thanks for any input!

Cheers,

David

Rear wheel spinning sound like an open diff problem. You have open or LSD diff?

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I started with the middle setting. body roll felt drastically improved but i got too much wheel spin out of turns and felt a little too stiff. I have moved it to the outer holes, and it feels much better. Still an improvement from stock but a bit more body roll than middle.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
So Matt, When You do the Hellwig sway bar, what adjustable end links do you use, and are they available on Your site?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
So Matt, When You do the Hellwig sway bar, what adjustable end links do you use, and are they available on Your site?

I have never seen a need for adjustable end links in the rear. with a 2" rear drop, I just used the stock end links with the swaybar. With the 4-5" rear drop, I have always used the Belltech or McGaughys shorter end links in the back.

Hellwig does make adjustable end links, but the cost was very high last time we looked into them.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
Cool ! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads