Hellwig Sway Bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that we are stocked up heavy now on the Hellwig Front and Rear swaybars for the 09-up Ram 1500 trucks. For those of you that are lowered and have a wobble from the rear of the truck on the highway, this is the best fix for that issue. We have more than 40 in stock, so all sway bars will ship same day. Dont hesitate to ask if anyone has any questions regarding these swaybars.

Hellwig Front and Rear Swaybars

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
would these make a noticeable handling difference on a 2014 crew cab? I believe I have factory sways front and rear. Truck is lowered 2" rear with McGaughy's, no other suspension mods, no speed wobble or anything.

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
would these make a noticeable handling difference on a 2014 crew cab? I believe I have factory sways front and rear. Truck is lowered 2" rear with McGaughy's, no other suspension mods, no speed wobble or anything.

Absolutely. The stock rear swaybar is hollow where the Hellwig bar is solid chromoly. The Hellwig rear bar is also adjustable, so you have some play from soft to firm based on your driving style. Even the softest setting on the Hellwig bar was a night/day improvement on my truck with both the 2" rear drop, and a full 4" drop. I also did not have any wobble or drivability issues wen I had the 2" rear drop, but adding the Hellwig rear swaybar just kept the rear tires planted much better on bumps and around corners.

The front swaybar is only available for the 2wd trucks, but really helps complete the package for anyone that likes to drive spirited on the street. Makes the steering feel much more solid, and really helps reduce body roll when taking corners at higher speeds...especially when paired up with the rear bar.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Great add on for anyone....loved mine!!

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have both on my cc, made a massive difference on turn in

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Love my rear bar. I will say I had some squeaking which I fixed by taking the bushings apart and greasing them. Otherwise a great bolt in addition. Definite handling improvement.

I did not get it from Moe's I should mention.

Last edited:

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
willthe rear sway bar also help reduce tire spin from a dig?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are like ****** for your truck... help with stiffness :roflsquared:

Matt, I was looking on Hellwigs website recently and noticed there were two different sizes avail, #7709 - 7/8" rear for 2&4wd But there is also a #7883 1-1/8" rear for 4wd lifted trucks. Do you know if the 1-1/8" rear will work on a 2wd? If so I'm looking to upgrade to the 1-1/8" from my 7/8"

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
They are like ****** for your truck... help with stiffness :roflsquared:

Matt, I was looking on Hellwigs website recently and noticed there were two different sizes avail, #7709 - 7/8" rear for 2&4wd But there is also a #7883 1-1/8" rear for 4wd lifted trucks. Do you know if the 1-1/8" rear will work on a 2wd? If so I'm looking to upgrade to the 1-1/8" from my 7/8"

2wd and 4wd use the same bar

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2wd and 4wd use the same bar

I thought so, wonder why they not it to be for 2-4" lifted 4x's.... Maybe cause its sold with the links.

I'm thinking to order one up to replace the smaller one on my truck. This I'd see any gains from that extra 1/2"?

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought so, wonder why they not it to be for 2-4" lifted 4x's.... Maybe cause its sold with the links.

I'm thinking to order one up to replace the smaller one on my truck. This I'd see any gains from that extra 1/2"?

I don't see why the bigger bar wouldn't fit; same chassis and all; as you stated you may have to play with end link lengths to get it right but that's not too difficult of a challenge in my mind and worth the effort. I am going to be test fitting and 1 1/4" rear bar to better compliment the 1 1/2" front bar for a fairly aggressive sway bar package. I can report fitment if you're interested.

Rob from No Limit Engineering feels trucks tend to need the rear bar closer to the size of the front bar size essentially because trucks just don't handle like cars.

here's his thoughts on it:

"Lets get back to the main topic, HANDLING. One of the best upgrades you can do is swaybars. Swaybars, or Anti-roll bars, work by adding traction (downforce) to the outside tire. To do this, the swaybar has to take downforce away from the inside tire. So if you think about it, you can go 'too big' on the bars. If you went so stiff that the inside tire lifts off the ground, then that tire isn't helping at all. The balance between the front and rear bars is called "roll couple", and here's where a truck layout changes normal thought. In a normal performance car, with say 52% front weight and a low CG, the roll couple needs to be up around 80% (calc for this is really complex, so think of this as a comparison number), but in a truck, with 58% front weight and a higher CG, you actually need to move the roll couple BACK, maybe to 65%. This means that in comparison to a Camaro that would run a 1 1/4" front and a 7/8" rear, the truck would tend to 'need' a more evenly matched bar set. Say 1 1/4" front and 1 1/8" rear. Most retailers/manufacturers are missing this and selling bar sets in 'car' sizing, so be careful.
From the set-up you have now, you can use the following rules for tuning.

A larger FRONT bar will "tighten" the chassis, making the truck tend to push, or not want to turn into a corner, also the rear of the truck will seam a bit stickier. A smaller front bar will do the opposite.

A larger REAR bar will "loosen" the chassis, the truck will turn into a corner easier, but the rear may want to slide around."

"Caster is a tricky thing. More + caster will give you added steering feel, or driver input, but, it will make it harder to turn. With modern power steering, the additional effort needed to steer is not really noticed. The overall goal is to keep the tire contact patch as large as possible. Remember that as you turn, all sorts of forces are acting on the tires, pushing and pulling them around. As the sidewalls and tread flex, the patch gets smaller, and you loose traction. Setting up in anticipation of that flex is what were trying to do. I would be willing to give up some of the contact patch/traction when going straight, and max traction isn't needed, to gain some in a corner entry where it is needed. Stock trucks came with 1* or 1 1/2* + caster.

Roll center height is a tougher goal to hit. Lets think about what is "reasonable" to achieve. It would be awesome to set the RC at the same height as the spindle pin centerline, but thats not going to happen. As a general rule, "higher is better", for RC. Try to keep it above 1/2 of the spindle height. So, if the tire diameter is 27", spindle height will be around 13", try to keep your RC above 6 1/2". This means drop spindles in favor of springs. Try to keep the swaybars close in size. 1 1/4" front with 1 1/8" rear is good for more streetable trucks, 1 1/2" front with 1 1/4" rear for more aggressive handling. - Remember that increasing caster will raise the pivit point ot the outer Tie Rod End, and could create additional bumpsteer, which will ned to be addressed in your design calcs."

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87

If you do let us all know how it fits and works out. I'm interested in doing this also.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If you do let us all know how it fits and works out. I'm interested in doing this also.

No worries bro, as you can see I'm following a different path regarding the rear sway bar based on the above info vs whats readily available...........hopefully it works out well....I'll let you know how it goes :headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
do you price match?

Luke

We try to when we can. Just PM me a link to where you found it cheaper, and I will see what we can do.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I loved the Hellwig sway bars so much on my Ram, I had Matt get me a set for my Corvette hahaha.