HELP! 4wd Conumdrum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MountainTamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site and own a 12 Ram 1500. I'm posting to see if anyone has ideas what might be going on with my 4wd as it has me stumped.

My 4wd works intermittently. Most of the time I switch to 4wd and works as it should but sometimes (usually when I really need it) I switch to 4wd and nothing happens. No dash lights, no service 4wd, no codes and no 4wd. Usually (but not always) I can turn the truck off, start it up and **** 4wd is now working.

I've had the 4wd actuator replaced which the dealership assured me was the issue but it didn't fix the problem. Now the dealership is saying it's the passenger side cv axle. The boot is ripped but they're also saying it's not sliding over to engage and that would cause the system to think 4wd is working even though it's not. Only problem with that is wouldn't the 4wd dash light illuminate if the system thought it was functioning properly? I have also had the truck in 4wd working normally, driven 2 miles to a friend's house and shut the truck off in 4wd only to come an hour later, start the truck and 4wd is gone with no dash lights no codes.

To me it seems like an electrical issues, switch, transfer case control module, something. Have any of you experienced this or have any thoughts what could be going on?

-TT

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I’m not one to throw parts at a problem without diagnostic procedures first. That said, intermittent issues can be a pita to reproduce on demand. My first thought is the switch. If it’s failing, there’s no errors showing in the dash because it doesn’t even know you’ve requested 4wd.

As far as losing 4x4 parked, ISTR that is a characteristic of some of the 1500 Borg Warner (?) transfer cases. I think they use fluid pressure to apply the front drive clutch and there’s no pumping going on when parked. Someone will correct me if my memory errs on that. Of course if yours was functioning properly as soon as you cranked it up it would resume 4x4.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Test the actuator motor on the T-Case, And the only replacement is Dorman. Dodge will try to sell you a whole T-Case... lol... But if those clowns are telling you CV axles are causing this I would run far away....

Might just be dirty connectors. Or even a bad dash switch.

I would start by probing the connectors on the T-case itself.

@Travelin Ram 2012 have chain drive t-case. :headbang: Im not even sure what year FCA decided to put that auto 4wd junk on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MountainTamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the replies...I'm going test the connectors and work my way to switch. If I get it figured out I'll report back

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Thanks for the replies...I'm going test the connectors and work my way to switch. If I get it figured out I'll report back
I'm With travelin ram I'd start with the switch first. No abs lights or anything on eh? If a speed sensor is gone the truck will default to 2wd and not shift to 4x4 at all. Cv boot ripped has absolutely nothing to do with the electronics of it, until you hear it clunking and banging it won't inhibit your 4 wheel drive selection. Once it's broken 4x4 is pretty much useless cardone makes an hd axle for Our trucks if you're hard on breaking axles like me.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The dealer may be somewhat right. The passenger front axle disconnects in 2wd to stop the front driveline from spinning. They've been known to go bad.

OP
OP
M

MountainTamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm With travelin ram I'd start with the switch first. No abs lights or anything on eh? If a speed sensor is gone the truck will default to 2wd and not shift to 4x4 at all. Cv boot ripped has absolutely nothing to do with the electronics of it, until you hear it clunking and banging it won't inhibit your 4 wheel drive selection. Once it's broken 4x4 is pretty much useless cardone makes an hd axle for Our trucks if you're hard on breaking axles like me.
No abs lights, in fact the traction control still kicks in while the 4wd switch it set to 4hi but 4wd is not working.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't have AlfaOBD or something similar by chance? Could pull all potential codes and help with troubleshooting by forcing commands etc.

OP
OP
M

MountainTamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't have AlfaOBD or something similar by chance? Could pull all potential codes and help with troubleshooting by forcing commands etc.
I don't have an AlfaOBD. System throws no codes, I had it at the dealership and they also scanned for codes and got nothing. I did swap the cv axle that was damaged as I had a spare in the garage and as expected did nothing to solve the 4wd issues. I checked the electrical connections, fuses, etc..and can't find any issues. I'm thinking it's 4wd switch, actuator or TCCM but haven't had time to start probing those items.

The one odd thing to me is that sometimes it's in 4wd and I'll turn it off and when I start up later I've lost 4wd. Seems like the actuator fork wouldn't shift out of 4wd when it gets turned off? I can turn wrenches but by no means do I have in depth mechanical knowledge. I'm only trying to troubleshoot myself because taking it in results in paying someone to not solve the issue so I figure I can do that just as good as them haha.

Mercruth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
Well, just went through a big thing somewhat like this and if the 2015 4wd system is still the same generally as the 2001, ie uses vacuum system to switch the lock on the axle slide on and off for 4wd? I had a vacuum leak on my system (caused by an inattentive repair job) which caused a lot of weird things, one of which was the 4wd light not coming on and my locker not working. Also cause warm up issues as the Choke system is vacuum operated also. So, might want to ensure your vacuum lines to the axle are working properly.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I didn’t read all the comments, but I effed up the install on my pass side cv axle and 4wd wouldn’t engage.

I had to replace the shaft on the pass side of the front diff (again, I messed it up), and install another new cv axle. 4wd worked fine after that.